• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worrying level of Anglophobia in rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever lived in England?

Visited many a time and been to many football matches. Great place, love London, also have a brother in Putney working in the NZ embassy, I'll be over there in a few weeks.

Last edited:
You seem to be labouring under the impression that I care what you find offensive. All you did was prove my point.

Look let's just block each other and move on. You and I obviously have very different views on pretty much everything and we both seem intolerant of each other's approach so enjoy the WC and look forward to a hammering in the 6N.

Done.

c321c815b655e42f2d36852abbcf89dba7678669be6deb13a90f46b079c7af11.jpg

Visited many a time and been to many football matches. Great place, love London, also have a brother in Putney working in the NZ embassy, I'll be over there in a few weeks.

And was the impression you got that one of intolerance and prejudice?

After reading the Wales vs England match thread there seems to be enough Anglophobia from our own supporter let alone from other teams. That place is in mass hysteria after the rumoured line up for Saturday

Last edited:
And was the impression you got that one of intolerance and prejudice?

At one particular game there were monkey chants and racial slurs from some of the fans which was an eye opener (Upton Park). Out in the pubs you hear casual sledging as well.

It's not rife, but it's there.

Last edited:
So it's not rife but still justifies your initial statement? Have you ever been to a football match any where else in Europe including Scotland?

So it's not rife but still justifies your initial statement? Have you ever been to a football match any where else in Europe including Scotland?

It doesn't matter if I have been to a football match anywhere else, the point was my experience in England and experience of others I know. Obviously it's not as bad as Enoch Powell days. Also there seems to be a general attitude towards the some what condescendingly named and referred to "War dances", that can stir emotions from other groups of supporters.

I have been at Rugby, Cricket and Soccer matches. Slurs and Chants of a derogatory nature are usually much more common at the stadiums than on the street. Usually they shout it to put a player off their game, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But I think that most of the time that is where it stops, and that most people doesn't carry that hatred with them in everyday life, or towards any person of the general public.

At one particular game there were monkey chants and racial slurs from some of the fans which was an eye opener (Upton Park). Out in the pubs you hear casual sledging as well.

It's not rife, but it's there.

I think with football being so accessible, it magnifies elements of society. In truth, it runs much deeper than football. It's a clash of cultures and religions disguised behind a sport and it's definitely not isolated to England.

I have been at Rugby, Cricket and Soccer matches. Slurs and Chants of a derogatory nature are usually much more common at the stadiums than on the street. Usually they shout it to put a player off their game, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But I think that most of the time that is where it stops, and that most people doesn't carry that hatred with them in everyday life, or towards any person of the general public.
I've never heard anything at a Cricket or Rugby match that could be considered racially or culturally offensive (admittedly I've been to far fewer Rugby than Cricket matches). However I use to a member of Somerset Cricket Club and whilst it's considered a hostile ground I've never heard anything along those lines.

Also I really wouldn't listen to anything said at Upton Park or any club ground and take it as representative of Britain or even the majority of fans from that club when it comes to football.

- - - Updated - - -

As noted compared to some countries what goes on in our Football grounds is relatively tame.

I've never heard anything at a Cricket or Rugby match that could be considered racially or culturally offensive (admittedly I've been to far fewer Rugby than Cricket matches). However I use to a member of Somerset Cricket Club and whilst it's considered a hostile ground I've never heard anything along those lines.

Also I really wouldn't listen to anything said at Upton Park or any club ground and take it as representative of Britain or even the majority of fans from that club when it comes to football.

- - - Updated - - -

As noted compared to some countries what goes on in our Football grounds is relatively tame.

Yeah, and to be honest, when I read some of the remarks in articles about Racism found at sports venues in Europe, I can't help but to laugh sometimes. Some of those remarks are so light-hearted, that if a person sees that as an insult, they are extremely sensitive.

In South Africa, the worst sledging I have ever heard was at cricket matches, especially when Australia, England or India are in the country. Rugby, is usually derby games, I've hardly heard much at international matches, apart from the SA vs. NZ match at Joburg earlier this year.

It's easy to dismiss it as football fans being football fans (I do think they are the worst fans of any sport). But none the less it's not on and like it or not football is a big part of English culture.

It's easy to dismiss it as football fans being football fans (I do think they are the worst fans of any sport). But none the less it's not on and like it or not football is a big part of English culture.
Yes but having lived here for coming up to 31 years I can safely say that those attending matches are very much at the extreme side of culture. Lots of people won't take kids to a football match for that very reason.

Most aren't even racists and sing the chants simply because that's what's sung at that club when the stands were full of them. The original meaning completely lost on them.

An example: eeney meaney miney mo, now until the blow up with Jeremy Clarkson I hadn't even ever realised the racist undertones of it. It was just something you sang to select something, I'd never really though about the lyrics before. Now of course I do and watch myself whilst singing it (if I ever do I'm no longer a child).

Point being just because someone says/sings something it doesn't mean they actually believe it.

I wouldn't know about a worrying level of Anglophobia but for me this thread carries a worrying level of boring and pointlessness. Possibly I am missing it - at least I don't see any MORE 'hate' towards England than I do other nations- but there is a RWC going on after all and this is a rugby forum and I just find it depressing that this is the thread clogging up the "latest posts" feed for anyone entering the forum (new and old).

yes but having lived here for coming up to 31 years i can safely say that those attending matches are very much at the extreme side of culture. Lots of people won't take kids to a football match for that very reason.

Most aren't even racists and sing the chants simply because that's what's sung at that club when the stands were full of them. The original meaning completely lost on them.

An example: Eeney meaney miney mo, now until the blow up with jeremy clarkson i hadn't even ever realised the racist undertones of it. It was just something you sang to select something, i'd never really though about the lyrics before. Now of course i do and watch myself whilst singing it (if i ever do i'm no longer a child).

Point being just because someone says/sings something it doesn't mean they actually believe it.

this ^^^^

It doesn't matter if I have been to a football match anywhere else, the point was my experience in England and experience of others I know. Obviously it's not as bad as Enoch Powell days. Also there seems to be a general attitude towards the some what condescendingly named and referred to "War dances", that can stir emotions from other groups of supporters.

You said you loved coming to England? Or were you lying? Frankly I think your full of crap. To say the English are so intolerant is utter rubbish. If we were so horrible to people why do so many come and live here? Try going to any other country in the world and find a more open and welcoming culture.

You said you loved coming to England? Or were you lying? Frankly I think your full of crap. To say the English are so intolerant is utter rubbish. If we were so horrible to people why do so many come and live here? Try going to any other country in the world and find a more open and welcoming culture.

Frankly I think you're allergic to any criticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts