• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Worst idea in a while.

Chris Latham at FB for England....

But yeah, ridiculous idea really, like said above, it takes alot out of the honour of playing at international level, as when you're not good enough to play for, say, the All Blacks, you can just go off to someone lower down.
Craziness.

Not that im in favour of this but where does it say 50 odd capped people would play for another nation?

I just thought the rule would allow people who have been capped once to be able to to select their allegiance again.

Hey hey hey hey. Hang on a moment here.

Mocking players such as Mike Catt who put their hearts and souls into playing for their country and lumping them in with drug cheats like Stevens not only is a tremendous insult to one of England's finest players in the past decade but also mocks countries like the United States and Canada. Nations whose entire national reason for existing is to be a place for accepting the world's huddled masses and turning them into something special.

You look at the USA Eagles, men who clutch their hearts with pride and many of which were not born in the USA (such as a certain Zimbabwean-American winger) who every day thank god that they have the chance to give 220% for the country which gave them the chance to play and tell me what you've just said. You look those men in the eye and tell me what you've just said.

This rule is nonsense but to call every single person not born of the land for which they now play that they are nothing more than a souless, heartless mercenaries who are no better than hired thugs is nonsesnse as well.

I wouldn't be against players who have not played International rugby in the last 18 months and have less than 5 caps playing for another nation they qualify for. Obviously players wouldn't be allowed declare for tier 1 teams though.

For example, Lifemi Mafi (a handful of NZ 7's caps) could play for Tonga, but not Ireland as they are a tier 1 nation.

Guys like Isa Nacewa wouldn't be allowed play for the All Blacks as they are tier 1.

Would greatly benefit the pacific nations IMO.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 1 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Get that f***ing chip off your shoulder.

Flutey isn't English, nor is Mike Catt or Matthew Stevens. One is a Kiwi and 2 are South African. None have any links back to being English other then living here for a while. Residency is the bullshit reason that this debate has started in the first place and makes a complete mockery of any of national sides.

What next, an international transfer market?[/b]

I thought they had English parents? (The system is still wrong, but they do have some links)

Why's residency any worse than "my grandad once ate a leek/haggies/*insert stereotypical food here*"? Grove isn't Scottish any more than Mustchin (the residency ruling allowed him to play against Argetina in 2008 when we ran out of locks).

Maybe having a blood relation gives you a little more credibility for playing for a country, rather than just living there for a bit.

I thought this was only for players who have played for a tier 1 nation being allowed to play for a tier 2 country, so anyone who is playing club rugby in England or France can't simply qualify on residency grounds even though they're already capped for NZ/SA/Aus

I'm all for it if it can raise the standards of the Tier 2 countries.

I'm technically multinational. And I will NEVER play for England. Even if they beg me, they can shag the **** off!

Just waiting for a call from Kidney. Any minute now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 1 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm technically multinational. And I will NEVER play for England. Even if they beg me, they can shag the **** off![/b]
Pfft, we wouldn't want you anyone. You have to bee 100% pure Englishman to play for us*

*may actually be a lie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 2 2009, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
These are a few changes that may occur, providing it just goes after citizenship rules.

Regan King - Wales
Doug Howlett - Ireland or Tonga
Ben Atiga - Samoa
Sosene Anesi - Samoa
Jonah Lomu - Tonga (LOL)
Bruce Reihana - England
Aaron Mauger - England
Byron Kelleher - France
Ben Franks - Australia
Jerry Collins - Samoa
Casey Laulala - Samoa
Chris Masoe - France or Samoa
Tana Umaga - France (lol)
Saimone Taumeoepeau - Tonga

With others also possible...that would be so bad. That being said i can't see the idea getting a 75% approval rating.[/b]
I just realised that this only applies to tier 1 countries players moving down to tier 2. So no AB's could play for Australia, Wales, England etc. While it would no doubt boost other countries, it is insulting that Doug Howlett could play for Tonga, no one actually beleives he considers Tonga his home. It is a way for a bunch of pacific players who don't get picked for a RWC, to bugger off to a country they have a passport on, to play rugby for that country. It is insulting to both nations as it shows that Pacific countries will take AB rejects and players don't have pride enough in New Zealand to stick around.

Also, what would happen if said second tier nation then becomes a first tier nation? Would these players then not be allowed to play again, possibly resulting in said first tier nation slipping back down to a tier two nation, meaning this ruling then apples again, meaning ex tier one players can play for them, possibly resulting in them becoming a tier one nation............................

Lads, this would only ever work if there is a cap limit. A player with 60 caps for New Zealand playing for Tonga in the World Cup would be ridiculous, a player with 3 caps for New Zealand playing for Tonga in the world cup is much more paletable.

To use Munster Players as Examples -

Lifemi Mafi - played a few games for New Zealand 7'. Qualified for Tonga as he is Tongan born, raised in New Zealand. Should he be allowed play for Tonga? Yes

Doug Howlett, 62 caps and 49 tries for New Zealand. Qualified for Tonga through heritage, Should he be allowed play for Tonga - No

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 1 2009, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lads, this would only ever work if there is a cap limit. A player with 60 caps for New Zealand playing for Tonga in the World Cup would be ridiculous, a player with 3 caps for New Zealand playing for Tonga in the world cup is much more paletable.

To use Munster Players as Examples -

Lifemi Mafi - played a few games for New Zealand 7'. Qualified for Tonga as he is Tongan born, raised in New Zealand. Should he be allowed play for Tonga? Yes

Doug Howlett, 62 caps and 49 tries for New Zealand. Qualified for Tonga through heritage, Should he be allowed play for Tonga - No[/b]

I can't see how it's paletable. Once you win your first cap, it nails your colours to the mast. In rugby international rivalries are so intense that you can come from one country alone. Whatever connections you have with anywhere else must be pushed aside on the field. And I don't think this is possible if you are called a New Zealand and a Tonga international, however many caps you've earned.

BTW, I wouldn't have a problem with Mafi playing for Tonga, considering he never got an All Black cap.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 1 2009, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Maybe having a blood relation gives you a little more credibility for playing for a country, rather than just living there for a bit.[/b]

Then I invite you to be the first to tell Takudzwa Ngwenya to go **** off back home to Zimbabwe where he belongs!

F*CKING FOREIGNERS!!! :rolleyes:

(sorry, seriously p*ssed off)

Further edit: Sorry but I feel that ignoring commitment and pride in their adopted nation and insisting that they go bugger off and play for their original nation is total BS. Utter total BS.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 1 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
These are a few changes that may occur, providing it just goes after citizenship rules.

Regan King - Wales
Doug Howlett - Ireland or Tonga
Ben Atiga - Samoa
Sosene Anesi - Samoa
Jonah Lomu - Tonga (LOL)
Bruce Reihana - England
Aaron Mauger - England
Byron Kelleher - France
Ben Franks - Australia
Jerry Collins - Samoa
Casey Laulala - Samoa
Chris Masoe - France or Samoa
Tana Umaga - France (lol)
Saimone Taumeoepeau - Tonga

With others also possible...that would be so bad. That being said i can't see the idea getting a 75% approval rating.[/b]

:lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Dec 1 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hope they don't turn our great game into the farce that is international RL.[/b]

Hey some of those Lebanese players known the country is in the middle east, or middle of the Sahara, or middle of somewhere.

Don't think the new law is intended for players to play for just any country, eligibility still plays a part. Not entire sure it's going to work, differing cultures in teams etc.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 1 2009, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ex All Blacks could play for other nations
Newstalk ZB - December 1, 2009, 12:50 pm

The outcome of an IRB Council vote in Dublin could see a number of former All Blacks make a return to the international stage.

The IRB will vote tonight on whether to allow players to feature for a second international side after a 12 month stand down. It needs a majority of 75 percent to be passed.

The move would mean New Zealand's Rugby World Cup pool rivals Tonga could be boosted by the likes of Doug Howlett, Sam Tuitupou and Sione Lauaki.

One test All Black Sosene Anesi says he would love to be able to play for Samoa.

"If I get the chance again to go back and play for Samoa now I'll be happy and looking forward to it. My rugby career is not finished yet and hopefully I'll try and give something back to my country."

Anesi is currently in his first few days training with his new Super 14 team, the Waratahs, which he says is going well.[/b]
I presume this goes for other countries as well. So people such as Howlett who has over 50 tests for New Zealand has an option to play for a country which he has spent little of his life in? This is a terrible thing for New Zealand, as any pacific player who isn't chosen for the RWC means they can jump on another international team. Hope it dosn't get passed.
[/b][/quote]

You NZ have no great problems about players, as whole country plays rugby and talents are on the way

Imagine what happens to lower nations where rugby is just developing and their players to go and play for another ones

I see they voted no!!

IRB says no change to eligibility rules
Newstalk ZB - December 3, 2009, 7:26 am

There will be no change to the eligibility rules for international rugby players who want to play for a second country of heritage.

The idea was that the likes of All Blacks with Pacific Islands backgrounds could return to their country of origin, but it has been rejected by the IRB. It is understood the concept would struggle on discrimination grounds in Europe, by judging some countries as weaker than others.

NZRU CEO Steve Tew says it is not the end of the matter. He believes it just requires further research and the IRB has agreed.

Latest posts