• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

WRU Considers 5th Welsh Region

C

Cymro

Boss Roger Lewis says the Welsh Rugby Union is actively considering plans to establish a fifth Welsh rugby region.

The Union's decision to cull the Celtic Warriors in 2004 remains hugely controversial in Wales.

But should a fifth region return it is unlikely to be in the south Wales valleys, north Wales favourites to host a team intended as a development side.

"We are working with north Wales to see if we can put in place a development region," Lewis told the Western Mail.
"And we have to explore other opportunities in Wales as well. "If I could put the clock back, I would certainly not have disbanded the Celtic Warriors," added Lewis, who admitted that a fifth region would mean a "financial risk" for the Union, who remain heavily in debt.

The issue has remained the hottest of topics in Welsh rugby since then-WRU boss David Moffett oversaw the demise of the Warriors side.

That move left the valleys hotbed without a fully professional team and alienated many supporters.

The WRU claimed at the time that Wales could not support five teams, neither financially nor with playing talent.

Wales coach Warren Gatland put the subject back on the agenda on Tuesday, when he told BBC Radio Wales' Sportstime show that he would welcome a fifth region to increase competition for national places.

"It's something that we and the WRU have got to consider," said Gatland.

"When I was back in New Zealand, they were talking about the lack of depth and the number of New Zealand players that have left the country.

"I said to them: 'Imagine only having four Super 14 teams and seven of the players in each team being foreigners. That's what I have got to select the Welsh team from.

"We have to look at reducing the numbers of non-Welsh qualified players over the next three or four years, but I fully understand the pressure the regions are under to get results.

"If we had a development region and if we sent our youngsters there it would make sense."

Gatland cited the example of Australia, who started with the New South Wales Waratahs and Queensland Reds before successfully developing the ACT Brumbies and - more recently - Western Force.
[/b]

The Western Mail for a change did a better job of explaining this. Basically there is really no hope of bringing the Celtic Warriors back because Leyton Samuels holds the rights and in fairness the WRU have screwed him over and given him bad press so its doubtful he would allow the name to be used.

Going up north, is a risky one, theres not a huge fanbase there whatever the Gogs say.

Basically Gatland wants players like Dai Flannagan, Darren Allinson, Sam Waurburton, Dan Bigger etc all get regular games that would help benefit the Welsh national team. Gatland would want the 5th region to gain access the the Challenge Cup!

While I love the idea of a 5th region, I don't think watching our youngsters getting thoroughly spanked in 50 point demolitions against the big teams will do well for their confidence...

I think its a great idea, considering that it'd give Northern Wales a Rugby presence..

While I love the idea of a 5th region, I don't think watching our youngsters getting thoroughly spanked in 50 point demolitions against the big teams will do well for their confidence... [/b]

They are going to have to learn sometime!

<div class='quotemain'> While I love the idea of a 5th region, I don't think watching our youngsters getting thoroughly spanked in 50 point demolitions against the big teams will do well for their confidence... [/b]

They are going to have to learn sometime!
[/b][/quote]
I agree, but is filling a team with mainly youngsters the way forward? It'd be a while before they became anywhere near as good as...say...Cardiff... I suppose matches in the Euro Challenge Cup would benefit them, though...

Gloucester have a team full of youngsters and look where that got them!
[/b]
Fair enough; though they've choked three times (Prem Final 07, semi final 08 and Euro quarter final 08) in less than a year due to their relative inexperience... Still, if this fifth region could match Gloucester's standard then well.... no words...

I'd love to see the Celtic Warriors come back into the fold. Its a good idea to have a north wales side, but where will they get their players from? All of our Welsh players are from the South, unless they fill their team with Foreigners & South Wales players. It would take them a few years for North Wales based players to get to a standard of rugby similar to the South.

Thats never going to happen. Firstly, Moffett was right and secondly, the owner holds the copyright to the name and will under no circumstances let anyone else use it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Aug 23 2008, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thats never going to happen. Firstly, Moffett was right and secondly, the owner holds the copyright to the name and will under no circumstances let anyone else use it.[/b]

Leighton Samuel holds the rights to CW, and has stated that he would never give the rights back or sell them to the WRU because of they way the WRU treated him, which is infact true. The WRU along with the Welsh media attempted to make Leighton Samuel the bad man, when infact it was Moffett and his goons that were the bad guys!

Oh FFS...North Walians playing our game?
Robin McBryde has had a bit too much of a say now he's in the set up, hasn't he?

****, prepare for a bunch scouser-sounding taff's running aimlessly around the field...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 8 2008, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh FFS...North Walians playing our game?
Robin McBryde has had a bit too much of a say now he's in the set up, hasn't he?

****, prepare for a bunch scouser-sounding taff's running aimlessly around the field...[/b]

All McBryde has said is that a 5th region would be good and located in North Wales would develop the North!

However he has said its not a viable option as there is no decent resources in North Wales!

****, sorry.
This is the 2nd time i've done this now.

This is on behalf of my last post: *Tongue in cheek Warning!*

No offence intended!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 8 2008, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
****, sorry.
This is the 2nd time i've done this now.

This is on behalf of my last post: *Tongue in cheek Warning!*

No offence intended![/b]

Im not North Walean ;)

Well, the new North Wales team has met for training....

a84dc09e142a04103aeb20309c9dfa32.gif

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Oct 9 2008, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, the new North Wales team has met for training....

a84dc09e142a04103aeb20309c9dfa32.gif
[/b]

Dude, not cool.
That would in some way suggest that the northerners are capable of passing. What next, speaking in the right dialect?!
Pah!

I think that instead of creating a new region, all the north Waleans (and those **** from the valleys supposed to be supporting the Cardiff Blues) should support the Cardiff Blues, and instead of having a home ground up north, they should just get BBC to put some Cardiff Games on the television instead of just ospreys, scarlets and even the dragons all the time! They said that the Cardiff v Leicester match was the last time that BBC are filming at the arms park; WHY! were not even a quarter the way through the season yet! We've got a good team who play well and a lot of history... GO LEIGH HALFPENNY!

Latest posts