WRU Considers 5th Welsh Region

Discussion in 'International Test Matches' started by Cymro, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Cymro

Cymro Guest

The Western Mail for a change did a better job of explaining this. Basically there is really no hope of bringing the Celtic Warriors back because Leyton Samuels holds the rights and in fairness the WRU have screwed him over and given him bad press so its doubtful he would allow the name to be used.

Going up north, is a risky one, theres not a huge fanbase there whatever the Gogs say.

Basically Gatland wants players like Dai Flannagan, Darren Allinson, Sam Waurburton, Dan Bigger etc all get regular games that would help benefit the Welsh national team. Gatland would want the 5th region to gain access the the Challenge Cup!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Sir Speedy

Sir Speedy Guest

While I love the idea of a 5th region, I don't think watching our youngsters getting thoroughly spanked in 50 point demolitions against the big teams will do well for their confidence...

4. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

I think its a great idea, considering that it'd give Northern Wales a Rugby presence..

5. Cymro

Cymro Guest

They are going to have to learn sometime!

6. Sir Speedy

Sir Speedy Guest

They are going to have to learn sometime!
    [/b][/quote]
    I agree, but is filling a team with mainly youngsters the way forward? It'd be a while before they became anywhere near as good as...say...Cardiff... I suppose matches in the Euro Challenge Cup would benefit them, though...

7. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Gloucester have a team full of youngsters and look where that got them!

8. Sir Speedy

Sir Speedy Guest

Fair enough; though they've choked three times (Prem Final 07, semi final 08 and Euro quarter final 08) in less than a year due to their relative inexperience... Still, if this fifth region could match Gloucester's standard then well.... no words...

9. gjohn85

gjohn85 Guest

I'd love to see the Celtic Warriors come back into the fold. Its a good idea to have a north wales side, but where will they get their players from? All of our Welsh players are from the South, unless they fill their team with Foreigners & South Wales players. It would take them a few years for North Wales based players to get to a standard of rugby similar to the South.

10. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Thats never going to happen. Firstly, Moffett was right and secondly, the owner holds the copyright to the name and will under no circumstances let anyone else use it.

11. Cymro

Cymro Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Aug 23 2008, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Leighton Samuel holds the rights to CW, and has stated that he would never give the rights back or sell them to the WRU because of they way the WRU treated him, which is infact true. The WRU along with the Welsh media attempted to make Leighton Samuel the bad man, when infact it was Moffett and his goons that were the bad guys!

12. RC

RC Guest

Oh FFS...North Walians playing our game?
    Robin McBryde has had a bit too much of a say now he's in the set up, hasn't he?

****, prepare for a bunch scouser-sounding taff's running aimlessly around the field...

13. Cymro

Cymro Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 8 2008, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    All McBryde has said is that a 5th region would be good and located in North Wales would develop the North!

However he has said its not a viable option as there is no decent resources in North Wales!

14. RC

RC Guest

****, sorry.
    This is the 2nd time i've done this now.

This is on behalf of my last post: *Tongue in cheek Warning!*

No offence intended!

15. Cymro

Cymro Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 8 2008, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Im not North Walean ;)

16. RC

RC Guest

I know, do you think i'd even be on this forum if you were?!

17. Cymro

Cymro Guest

I think your drunk ...

18. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Well, the new North Wales team has met for training....

[​IMG]

19. dullonien

dullonien Guest

haha classic.

20. RC

RC Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Oct 9 2008, 02:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Dude, not cool.
    That would in some way suggest that the northerners are capable of passing. What next, speaking in the right dialect?!
    Pah!

21. Lukascd

Lukascd Guest

I think that instead of creating a new region, all the north Waleans (and those **** from the valleys supposed to be supporting the Cardiff Blues) should support the Cardiff Blues, and instead of having a home ground up north, they should just get BBC to put some Cardiff Games on the television instead of just ospreys, scarlets and even the dragons all the time! They said that the Cardiff v Leicester match was the last time that BBC are filming at the arms park; WHY! were not even a quarter the way through the season yet! We've got a good team who play well and a lot of history... GO LEIGH HALFPENNY!

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!