• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Xbox 360 or ps3

The PS3 has equalled the 360 in sales in October and November. December figures are out and the PS3 beat the 360 over the holiday period by a good margin. Things are definitely improving for PS3. There are loads of good ***les available for the PS3 now and it represents great value for money now.

For NZ$100 more than the 360 you get double the size hard drive (40gb), wi-fi, blu ray, free Playstation Network (don't say no-ones on it, there are 10's of thousands on every major ***le) and 2008 features dozens of exclusives which are great established ***les. I said all that without rubbishing the competition.

I say it's down to personal choice now, there's advantages on both sides!

The PS3 has equalled the 360 in sales in October and November. December figures are out and the PS3 beat the 360 over the holiday period by a good margin. Things are definitely improving for PS3. There are loads of good ***les available for the PS3 now and it represents great value for money now.

For NZ$100 more than the 360 you get double the size hard drive (40gb), wi-fi, blu ray, free Playstation Network (don't say no-ones on it, there are 10's of thousands on every major ***le) and 2008 features dozens of exclusives which are great established ***les. I said all that without rubbishing the competition.

I say it's down to personal choice now, there's advantages on both sides! [/b]

I think you just sold me!

One thing I never found out about....which console has the most powerful processor?????

One thing I never found out about....which console has the most powerful processor?????

[/b]
PS3
CPU
- 3.2GHz Cell Broadband Engine with 1 PPE and 7 SPEs
GPU - NVIDIA-SCEI RSX

X360
CPU - 3.2 GHz PPC Tri-Core Xenon
GPU - 500 MHz ATI Xenos

Hey, GG, that sounds awesome.

Now I'm going to really sell you.

Streetfighter HD is coming out on Playstation Network. Online, all the classic Streetfighter characters and in High Def. I'd be keen in learning from the master. Due in about 3 months, from what I hear.

I must say though look around as the Xbox 360 has a great range, but all I've been trying to say is that the gap is closing. So, Xbox fans, please don't burn me for extolling the virtues of my console, lol.

GG, have a look at PS3 Forums (no competition to TRF). That website has a lot of fans about 65,000 members and has a lot of info.

The land of PS3 isn't all wonderment and perfection. It has it's drawbacks, but plenty of pluses.

Melon's assessment is correct on the processors. The Xbox 360 has 500mb of ram which can be split any way the developers want. The PS3 has 256mb CPU and 256mb graphics. The developers can choose to use some of the graphics memory for other apps (doesn't have to be used for graphics). So, much of a muchness.

The SPU's on the CPU (Cell Chip) are seperate processor units. These can be used in such a way that they can perform 7 different operations at once. this will be a revolution for multi-tasking as the consoles go into their 3rd, 4th & 5th years (typically the biggest years for a consoles best games). Hope this helps.

It looks like I will go for PS3.....though I can now see the difficulties programmers have when they try and create for the PS3. It isn't easy....but as you said.....programmers can go a bit further if they get the hang of it.

PS3 will do for now...if Rugby comes out on xbox then I would get a 360.

Also Craig....last time I checked there was nothing wrong with your Street Fighter skills! I am not sure if they can make HD street fighter games without changing the dynamics of the game a bit.

One thing I love about Streetfighter is that it's a game where I could get beaten 20 times in a row, go away and come back convinced that I could turn it around. After another 47 goes I probably will.

I think ill choose 360.

Why?

Well you pay $699 in Australia for a PS3 that has 40GB, for $729.95 you can get a 360 with 120GB of space.
I hate and always have hated playstation controllers this one isnt any different.They design them with midgets in mind. They seem to have way more games and unlike the newest models of PS3 its still backwards compatible with XBOX games i believe which further enhances the library.

Cant wait i have more things to practice the art of sloth with. :D

Try backwards compatible with 60% of the Xbox ***les. Thats about accurate from what I've seen.

Can you swap out the hard drive on an Xbox 360 and replace it with any generic laptop hard drive, upto 250gb? You can on PS3 and that'll only cost you when you want to. You also get to buy it from whatever company you want.

The charge kits for the PS3 controllers are standard USB 2.0 cables, you can use use one from your digital camera or from your printer to your computer, or anything if you want.

No paying for it. Like the the "plug and charge" or whatever for the Xbox 360.

As for cameras. Any USB web-cam will generally work on the PS3. I'm not sure but I heard you had to buy the Xbox 360 branded model for use on that machine.

As for small controllers, the dualshock 3 is out now. A 6% larger body and 1% smaller than the Xbox controller.

Wrong, any USB device works on the 360, including keyboards. Quite what anyone would want a webcam on a console for however is beyond me.

As for the controller, the Playstation pads ever since their inception have always been the most un-responsive, uncomfortable, flimsey pads in the history computer gaming. The Controller S in comparison, is one of the best ever (behind only the N64 pad and the original Megadrive 6-button pad).

That said, I guess the PS3 is better for being laptop-hard disk compatable; Think of all that memory you can take up accessorising your virtual "home". Exciting stuff.

"As for the controller, the Playstation pads ever since their inception have always been the most un-responsive, uncomfortable, flimsey pads in the history computer gaming." - Quote Teh Mite.

Not into exaggeration at all? Saying they aren't as good. Believable, possible and even probable. The history of computer gaming would reveal some absolutely unbelievably crap controllers. The Playstation controllers were often referred to the industry standard and what PC hand controllers should aspire to, until the Xbox came along and (on their second design) pushed the Playstation design to the next level. The Xbox design is the current best, no question.

"That said, I guess the PS3 is better for being laptop-hard disk compatable; Think of all that memory you can take up accessorising your virtual "home". Exciting stuff." - Quote Teh Mite.

Sarcasm. Funny and intelligent. Today's "industry standard" for wit.

In fairness, I like the PS controllers, always have. I think the 360 ones are great now I have adjusted to them (and believe me, it took a while) but I have always liked the PS pads.

Horses for courses I guess.

Total agreement. There's no real right or wrong on this one. There is some ultra-crap third party stuff available. Mostly it's personal taste.

Mind you it seems Teh is rightly proud of a good console and I am too. Just that they are different and once again that's personal taste.

I've made no secret of the fact that I'll have an Xbox 360 too one day. When I can afford it. There's going to be an awesome list of exclusive ***les for both consoles before too much longer. At the moment people are still getting used to the first generation to be a three-horse race and many are taking defensive positions against obsolescence.

Mind you there's no reason why three can't survive.

It's also no secret that you are obviously a salesman for the PS3....dead horse=thoroughly beaten....enough already...

He enjoys playing his computer and wants to tell others the experience. Mite is the same with the 360, as am I. Hardly what I'd call a salesman.

Cheers Dan.

He's right. This thread is supposed to be a clean and fair venue to state positive reasons (and legitimate drawbacks) why each of the consoles should or should not be considered.

There are plenty of people on board at TRF who play the Xbox 360. Hence plenty of support for the product. I'm here fighting a lone battle (well, I suppose toup got one recently) in support of my console.

Surely, I'm not being told to shut up and go away because there's only one truth? Even Mite hasn't gone that far, lol. Well, not yet, haha.

Dan seems to be strongly in favour of xbox 360, yet he still thinks it's ok to talk about PS3. I suppose I understand a little where your coming from Brodizzle, it seems like every second post is mine. What's that? It almost is, lol?

I'd say neither. Bring on the Commodore 64 with the best game ever made, Paperboy.
C64_Paperboy.png

As I always have to take the other side, how about the ZX Spectrum+ 48k? [/b]

Nah lets all hail the Amstrad!

Well I haven't got a PS3 yet...but....I think the console looks awesome! It looks like a powerful console...the XBox 360 looks like some friendly machine...elegant...yet friendly. The PS3 looks like some dark powerful sinister almost....hidden power machine...haha!

Damn...maybe if Japan had won the 2011 RWC then Sony might have had a few talks to EA about Rugby games entering the Jap market...and then we would have our next gen rugby game!

Well HB Studios do have 6 ***les in development. Charlie explained what two were (Euro Soccer ***les apparently) and the way I figure it, a Rugby or Cricket one will almost certainly be in amongst the rest, judging by history.

Format will probably be both Xbox 360 and PS3. As long as HB are up to speed on the PS3's cell processor. They are in partnership with EA, so they should be fine for that.

Latest posts