• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Yet more poor inconsistenmt and bias refereeing by Wayne Barnes

Wales online heading "Wayne Barnes helped make this a classic". When the winners are singing the refs praises you know how he performed :D

Haha, youre not Irish by any chance, are you? Both the Welsh and Irish commentators on the BBC pointed out how consistent Barnes' refereeing was, and how it almost always favoured the attacking side - if Ireland had been the attacking side then they would have one. This kind of thing happens to every team, England almost lost a World Cup because the referee didn't like proper scrimmaging, but it doesn't mean that the referee was biased, just that he likes to referee the game in a particular way.

Wales online heading "Wayne Barnes helped make this a classic". When the winners are singing the refs praises you know how he performed :D

Don't read Wales Online. While they are good for their updates, they are so so irritating and disrespectful to other teams. They said yesterday: "[...] while Ireland have scored just a measly 4 tries", yet Wales have only scored 5.

Barnes was consistent, but he was consistent in making some stupid calls.

I really can't understand how people with a good understanding of the game didn't see the constant stream of Welsh Players lying on the wrong side of the ruck making no attempt to roll away.
Perhaps people were more engrossed in the game or haven't taken the time to properly asses what was going on but it was clear as ****ing day and he hadn't the brass to call them out on it.

I really can't understand how people with a good understanding of the game didn't see the constant stream of Welsh Players lying on the wrong side of the ruck making no attempt to roll away.
Perhaps people were more engrossed in the game or haven't taken the time to properly asses what was going on but it was clear as ****ing day and he hadn't the brass to call them out on it.

If you think your own back row havent don't that and got away with it this tournament then you're not entirely compos mentis dude!

Home advantage is still massive in International rugby and it is VERY difficult for the refs to get the roaring of the home fans out of their ears.
By and large they do a solid job at it but there is no doubt, home sides always get a slightly better rub of the green than the away teams... just look at the All Blacks at Eden Park.

If you think your own back row havent don't that and got away with it this tournament then you're not entirely compos mentis dude!
I'm not saying we don't
But I've never ever seen such blatant repetition of a clear attempt to slow ball down go unpunished. It was constant.

Its not an absoulte, and that is the reason why referees sometimes don't seem to be consistent. If a player on the wrong side of the tackle is not actually preventing quick ball, the referee may deem it immaterial, and if the quick ball comes, where is the problem with that?

Also, the illegal player make take some action that while it is not actually rolling away, nevertheless, gets him out of the way of the ball. For example, a tackler ends up on the wrong side with his legs trapped and his torso between the ball and where the SH will want to stand. That player swings his upper body and arms away to expose the ball. I would take that is an attempt to comply as best he can and I would not expect the referee to penalise him if clean ball was available.

Its not an absoulte, and that is the reason why referees sometimes don't seem to be consistent. If a player on the wrong side of the tackle is not actually preventing quick ball, the referee may deem it immaterial, and if the quick ball comes, where is the problem with that?

Also, the illegal player make take some action that while it is not actually rolling away, nevertheless, gets him out of the way of the ball. For example, a tackler ends up on the wrong side with his legs trapped and his torso between the ball and where the SH will want to stand. That player swings his upper body and arms away to expose the ball. I would take that is an attempt to comply as best he can and I would not expect the referee to penalise him if clean ball was available.

I think you are ..........against the wind!! But well done for trying!!

Didn't wales have 2 sin binnings during the game? Ireland blaming the ref when you missed a few kicks and didn't take advantage of being a man up for about 15 mins of the game.

Ireland also got away with a knee to the back, there was uproar when Pape did it.

I understand where you're coming from yes but the scrumhalf was being impeded , not in getting the ball out all the time but from actually getting to the base of the ruck , the amount of times I saw reddan or Murray have to stumble over a welsh torso to get to the base was massively infuriating.

I understand where you're coming from yes but the scrumhalf was being impeded , not in getting the ball out all the time but from actually getting to the base of the ruck , the amount of times I saw reddan or Murray have to stumble over a welsh torso to get to the base was massively infuriating.

Webb was also impeded and also the Irish forwards were guilty of holding Welsh players to prevent them from rolling. Barnes did warn Ireland about this but did not follow through on his warnings.

Webb was also impeded and also the Irish forwards were guilty of holding Welsh players to prevent them from rolling. Barnes did warn Ireland about this but did not follow through on his warnings.
That's a strawman. Because it may have occurred at times doesn't make the constant , and I repeat constant infringement by Welsh players in key instances in the final quarter of the game in any way acceptable.

Any ref with any form of testicles or at the very least principle would have done something.

The amount of lemons posted after the England game, but a few of you are a lot more bitter. A few English fans had a gripe with the reffin of the breakdown and you lot were quickly up with the lemons.

Now, where's that lemon...

That's a strawman. Because it may have occurred at times doesn't make the constant , and I repeat constant infringement by Welsh players in key instances in the final quarter of the game in any way acceptable.

Any ref with any form of testicles or at the very least principle would have done something.

Hows that a strawman!?

We all agree that Barnes was more lenient in the second half that the first. Can we agree that it cost Ireland more since Ireland dominated possession and territory. It was a one score game remember and as bad as Ireland were, they were awarded one more penalty despite having double possession and a stronger scrum. You know how a ref performed when the winners are singing his praises.

Just watched the match. That too me was actually incredible reffing, he made that the game it was just like Owens did for the SA v NZ match. But I didn't think he was biased to Wales or Ireland, I think that he just favoured the attacking team and Wales started so strongly. But how he can be considered biased too Wales is weird when he yellowed 2 guys and gave a similar amount of penalties against both.

We all agree that Barnes was more lenient in the second half that the first. Can we agree that it cost Ireland more since Ireland dominated possession and territory. It was a one score game remember and as bad as Ireland were, they were awarded one more penalty despite having double possession and a stronger scrum. You know how a ref performed when the winners are singing his praises.
Ireland played 14 minutes of the game against 14 men, their net gain in points? 0

That's far more important than anything else, Ireland's biggest problem is their attacking threat comes from penalties. They've scored 4 tries all tournament and especially the last two weeks never really looked like scoring one.

To be honest I'd be more worried about that as an Ireland fan than any perceived issues with the ref.

Just watched the match. That too me was actually incredible reffing, he made that the game it was just like Owens did for the SA v NZ match. But I didn't think he was biased to Wales or Ireland, I think that he just favoured the attacking team and Wales started so strongly. But how he can be considered biased too Wales is weird when he yellowed 2 guys and gave a similar amount of penalties against both.
Because the context of the penalties is more important than merely giving them.
And because there should have been many more given that did not materialize.

- - - Updated - - -

Ireland played 14 minutes of the game against 14 men, their net gain in points? 0

That's far more important than anything else, Ireland's biggest problem is their attacking threat comes from penalties. They've scored 4 tries all tournament and especially the last two weeks never really looked like scoring one.

To be honest I'd be more worried about that as an Ireland fan than any perceived issues with the ref.
I wouldn't because we were winning. and 10 games on the trot.

Last edited: