• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

You may have seen posts like this before but have a look as I ened your help...

R

rhys

In a nutshell, just finished my first season playing (at the age of 23) for the 2nd team at my local club. Played lock/back row for most of the year, thought I had a fairly good season for a new comer yet at our AGM last night my coach informs me, in his own words 'you need to hit the weights'. Now at 6'5 and 17 stone i'm not small and thought that my physical strenght carried me through last season. Obviously he didn't think so. So, please, tell me how to get stronger, and i'm talking specific to rugby...I want to prove him wrong next season.

Any comments would be much appreciated...

I, and many other people could give you an overall and positional specific weights programs. However you should just take your coaches advice. Hit the weights. Go to the gym and do what other guys are doing.

However, if you like I can add you to my list of already 4 people lol and send you a copy via email of a NSW rugby weights program guide thingy that I acquired whilst in one of their programs a couple of years ago.

Hey i'd appreciate that, just really keen to hear what's worked for other people/players. I'm a bit new to this forum so I guess you add me then I give you my e-mail address right?

Ha I think he'd still knock the crap out of me! although my size may be good for rugby, my actual playing ability is still something to be desired! So if I can't impress him with 50 meter sprints for the line or tackling that'd put all the team to shame then I at least want to be able to run at people and knock them out of the way haha! (think his general idea is he wants me to be a ball carrier and if i'm honest I didn't do much of that last season. then again I am still learning from scratch so it's been tough.....)

At your size mate I'd recommend using your head more than your might.
Example, don't rush into the mall, hang off it and see whats going on, check how many defenders are around the mall area, talk to your half and let him now that you want to drive at the opposition 10 and drive hard, if that's all you do it's a good start, line up the 10 mate... ;) let him know that your only there to f&*k up his day.

Promise, coach will love you.

Hmmm I like the sound of that. He's all up for players taking the ball on and he loves the physical lads in the team (he used to be a bullocking number 8 in his day). Cheers, i'll defo bear your advice in mind...

Example, don't rush into the mall, hang off it and see whats going on, check how many defenders are around the mall area, talk to your half and let him now that you want to drive at the opposition 10 and drive hard, if that's all you do it's a good start, line up the 10 mate... ;) let him know that your only there to f&*k up his day.

[/b]

why is he going to the mall? what has the mall got to do with rugby?

sorry i cracked up when i read that cause i was reading mall not maul :)

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

why is he going to the mall? what has the mall got to do with rugby?

sorry i cracked up when i read that cause i was reading mall not maul :) [/b][/quote]

Awwww I wanted to be the one who picked on him first :p

No problem guys more than happy to help.

Serious though guy's, if you've got the size the best asset is your 'head'.
Take the time to look at what’s going on, don't just bowl on in, talk to your half and tell him what your going to do before the game, work with him, get him to organise your support if your going to run at the opposition 10.

A good technique is to hang off a few of the 'mauls' ;) and look at what the defence is doing.
Stand a little bit wider and flat than usual and when your half passes to you run like hell at the opposition 10 with the intent of running over him. If you do, you should have at least two lose forwards ready to receive the ball, if you get tackled then they can protect the ball and if you've pinned the 10 then they are going to be one short in their backline - fingers crossed your half knows what’s going on and feeds it out wide...

Also work out what position you want to own, serious a lot of players just turn up and get sent into whatever position in the forwards, if you want to be a lock then say 'hey I'm a lock, and in this team It's my position' - go for ownership, watched how the position is played and use your head and emulate... take ownership.

In a nutshell, just finished my first season playing (at the age of 23) for the 2nd team at my local club. Played lock/back row for most of the year, thought I had a fairly good season for a new comer yet at our AGM last night my coach informs me, in his own words 'you need to hit the weights'. Now at 6'5 and 17 stone i'm not small and thought that my physical strenght carried me through last season. Obviously he didn't think so. So, please, tell me how to get stronger, and i'm talking specific to rugby...I want to prove him wrong next season.

[/b]

Hit the Roids bro, you'd be swinging like Barry Bonds in no time.. :p

Jokes aside, your size indicate that you're one big lad BUT you probably dont have the strength. You may think you're strong but the coach thinks otherwise. I would like to say that I was told the same thing by my coach. I'm 1.93m and 112kg (we only know the metric system down here) prop. After the first few games, the coach told me to strengthen up my bulk. :eek:
I was lost for words as I thought I was competing enough in the scrums & mauls. So I did what I was told and I hit the gym.

The result is fantastic mate. Just make sure that you go to the gym AFTER doing at least a few laps around the field. You'd be a human wrecking ball, a new version of Nathan Sharpe.

Well my opinion would be chose a postion that suit's your liking.. 6.5 and 17stone would be the ideal blinside position maybe lock

[/b]
It's amazing to me that you're 23 and not lifting weights...especially if you are playing rugby.
I guess it's a different mindset here in America, but they start us off at 14-16 lifting for all sports (football, basketball, baseball, ect.).
Yes, you're big, but what if you came against me? I'm 6'5 too. But, I lift weights...so my mass is increased by strength...lifting weights gives you the ability to do the most with what you have.
Focus on your core (abs and lower back), your legs, your upper ches and upper back (arms are tied into the upper body...back and biceps, chest and triceps).
Start off simple:
Bench Press
Back Row
Sit Ups
Back extensions
Squats
Lunges
Hit the treadmill at it's max incline for 10 minutes at 3.2 mph (don't know what the kilometer equivolent is) to warm up.
From here you can add things like variations of arm curls and tricep extensions...and leg curls and leg extensions.
If you hit the weights you will see an improvement in your game...it's that simple...the stronger you are, the better you are.

Oh, and also take the advice of playing with your head as well...out smart rather than out muscle sometimes...then you can save your strength for when it's really needed.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
It's amazing to me that you're 23 and not lifting weights...especially if you are playing rugby.
I guess it's a different mindset here in America, but they start us off at 14-16 lifting for all sports (football, basketball, baseball, ect.).
Yes, you're big, but what if you came against me? I'm 6'5 too. But, I lift weights...so my mass is increased by strength...lifting weights gives you the ability to do the most with what you have.
Focus on your core (abs and lower back), your legs, your upper ches and upper back (arms are tied into the upper body...back and biceps, chest and triceps).
Start off simple:
Bench Press
Back Row
Sit Ups
Back extensions
Squats
Lunges
Hit the treadmill at it's max incline for 10 minutes at 3.2 mph (don't know what the kilometer equivolent is) to warm up.
From here you can add things like variations of arm curls and tricep extensions...and leg curls and leg extensions.
If you hit the weights you will see an improvement in your game...it's that simple...the stronger you are, the better you are.

Oh, and also take the advice of playing with your head as well...out smart rather than out muscle sometimes...then you can save your strength for when it's really needed.
[/b][/quote]
specially the squats!!!
focus on them
squat is the best exercise for lowerbody

Hit the Roids bro, you'd be swinging like Barry Bonds in no time.. :p

Jokes aside, your size indicate that you're one big lad BUT you probably dont have the strength. You may think you're strong but the coach thinks otherwise. I would like to say that I was told the same thing by my coach. I'm 1.93m and 112kg (we only know the metric system down here) prop. After the first few games, the coach told me to strengthen up my bulk. :eek:
I was lost for words as I thought I was competing enough in the scrums & mauls. So I did what I was told and I hit the gym.

The result is fantastic mate. Just make sure that you go to the gym AFTER doing at least a few laps around the field. You'd be a human wrecking ball, a new version of Nathan Sharpe.
[/quote]

Cheers for all the words of advice guys, and it's nice to hear that I'm not the only person who's been told to hit the weights (thanks Juggernaut). For the record i've done a bit of weight training on and off for the last 12 months but it's now evident that i've never done anything specific to rugby before last season, becasue i've never needed to. I think the majority of blokes i've play with have never been to a gym in their lives but they're also mainly farmers who are as strong as hell haha! So after being battered by them all season, taking all your advice, and doing my own research, i'll get cracking over the summer.... As for being like Nathan Sharpe - I wish!!

Hit up the gym combined with some extra protein (powder in shakes etc) and you'll be the size of a bodybuilder in no time (minus the fake tan and homoerotic thongs). Squats are a man's best friend...

make sure you use correct technique on the squats, back and other leg exercises - since you're tall form will be important so you don't hurt yourself and this should be your priority, having said that focus on the free weights preferably with a spotter, you can use the machines to finish off at the end

chart your progress and with your height and bulk you shouldn't have a problem

Latest posts