• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your 'Best Possible' Springbok 22 for the Home leg

Id like to see Brok Harris given a go at tight head. Looks good when I have seen him.

irrelevant thread

irrelevant comment....

Anyways, I'll have a stab a who I'd pick (from a NZ perspective, without having seen any Currie Cup... so go easy on me :p):

1. Steenkamp
2. Du Plessis (It would be a big call to drop Smit, but I think he's a liability defensively. If they want to get rid of Smit they should do it now, allowing Matfield to have a season in charge before the RWC starts).
3. Van der Linde
4. Rossouw
5. Matfield (c)
6. Louw (I really rate him - does a huge amount of work at the breakdown)
7. Smith (Has really been missed so far this year, class player)
8. Kankowski (I really don't rate Spies - it has always amazed me that a guy who can outrun a cheetah, overpower a gorilla, and defeat 5 male lions in hand-to-paw combat can be such an average rugby player at times).
9. Hougaard (With Pienaar out I'm not sure who I'd put here - I haven't seen much of Hougaard at 9, but I understand that it is his best position. He certainly seems to be a very talented player)
10. M Steyn
11. Habana (Things haven't being going his way, but I still think he has a lot to offer. I can see the benefit of giving another wing a chance though e.g Aplon or van der Heever)
12. de Villers (I think he will perform much better when actually playing in his correct position)
13. de Jongh (looks very promising)
14. Pieterson (If back to full fitness)
15. F Steyn (Being able to place kick and/or drop kick from 50+m is a huge weapon)

16. Liebenberg (Great impact player - alternatively Strauss or Gary Botha would be options)
17. BJ Botha (Not sure here - I do like the look of Brok Harris and Kruger as well).
18. van der Merwe
19. Burger (Not a fan, but I have been impressed with his ball running at times. I do rate Potgeiter as well)
20. Duvenhage (Perhaps too early, but he does seem very talented)
21. Olivier
22. Aplon

How do we play so **** with such fantastic line-ups? Says a lot about the coaching staff doesn't it?

@ woodward

Stop posting useless rubbish. Anything rugby on a rugby forum is relevant. Stop being a WUM and bugger off if you have nothing of value to add.

I wasn't going to bother, but now I'll have a shot.

1. Tendai Mtawarira - I rate him really highly. Seemed to step up in the Springboks jersey.
2. Gary Botha - Best hooker in South Africa in my opinion.
3. CJ van de Linde - I have always rated him.
4. Dannie Roussow - Best avalible lock.
5. Victor Matfield - Still the best lock in the world, just a little out of form. Would make a better captain than Smit is in my opinion.
6. Schulk Burger - He'll be a valuable player till the day he gets banned from professional rugby.
7. Juan Smith - He's playing well in the CC, I'd like to see him in the Springboks team.
8. Ryan Kankowski - Like I've always said, Spies is a luxory to have in the team. He'll be awsome while the teams winning, and invicible while they're not. Kankowski needs a go in his natural postion
9. Francois Hougaard - If we didn't make it in the squad as a scrum half, I'd have put him on the bench as a winger. I thought he was the Bull's best player this season.
10. Morne Steyn - Because there's no one else, and he is actually a very good player.
11. Bryan Habana - Given a bit of space, he's still South Africa's best winger. As an AB fan, I feel least comfortable when Habana is playing against the AB's. It's important to remember he was being covered by Cory Jane in the last few tests.
12. Jean de Villiers - Put him in the squad in the 12 jersey.
13. Juan de Jongh - He'll add an attack SA need.
14. Jongi Nokwe - (Jer1cho, great choice). In my opinion the fastest winger in South Africa. He's got mad skills. I never understand why he hasn't been given more game time for the Boks. Favourite South African player.
15. Gio Aplon - South Africa need to play an attacking game, and I think all three players in the backline would be lethal. Handleing would by my only concern.

16. John Smit - He's old and fat, but he has plenty of experience, and not putting him in the team would be a huge disruption for the SA side.
17. Guthro Steenkamp - Least favourite South African player, but he's been solid enough.
18. Flip van der Merwe - With no Botha or Bekker, not many other options.
19. Pierre Spies - Would be a handy player to have if South Africa look like their winning.
20. Jano Vermaak - No other options, which is weird for SA. 3rd choice behind Hougaard and obviously du Preez.
21. Willem de Waal - To be honest, I think Styen plays a good enough kicking game, but I can't think of another player good enough.
22. Patrick Lambie/JP Pieterson - Either would be fine, though I'd probably go with Lambie, as he offers a contrast to the other three player in the back three.

To be honest, I think the reason South Africa is losing, is because while their team has a lot of talent, their backs reall don't have much direction. Morne Steyn is a lot like Johnny Wilkinson, in the sence that he needs a really creative halfback like Matt Dawson/Fourie du Preez, in order to be effective. The backline looks ordinary and uncreative. Habana, Nokwe and Aplon all have speed to burn, but they need a play maker to be effective, and that's where the problem lies.

Jano Vermaak and Francois Hougaard are good scrummies but in the absence of God I would like too see Jesus play scrumhalf.

Jano Vermaak and Francois Hougaard are good scrummies but in the absence of God I would like too see Jesus play scrumhalf.

Huh? Fourie du Preez has a son in his early twenties!?!?!?!?!?!?

LOL 2000th post. ^_^

14. Jongi Nokwe - (Jer1cho, great choice). In my opinion the fastest winger in South Africa. He's got mad skills. I never understand why he hasn't been given more game time for the Boks. Favourite South African player.

I was the one to mention his name:cool::p

LOL, I've never seen this before but it looks like Spies is stopping Halfpenny from defending himself by keeping his arm down. Aiding and abetting.

That's Luke Fitzgerald, the Irish wing.

From what I saw this year, Gerhard van den Heever had a solid S14 and could be a candidate for the wing.
Jongi Nokwe seems to have been dismissed by the Springboks, but he seems more than capable to start.

Do you guys think we might see any debut's, or do you think we will still see players out of position, as well as dead weight in the team to face New Zealand at soccer City on the 21st? This test is make or break for us. This would be my best 22 to field:

15. Francois Steyn - Swallow your pride PdV. We need an 'X-factor'
14. JP Peterson - Has looked very good in the Currie Cup so far, and Habana has his mind somewhere else.
13. Juan de Jongh - With Fourie being suspended, de Jongh needs to start here.
12. Patrick Lambie - Why not? Has Super 14 experience, and thrives as a playmaker. The sooner he gets in, the better.
11. Gio Aplon - Needs to play, and loves to play. Speed, guts and one hell of a step. He must start.
10. Morne Steyn - Has been very off, but he is still the best 10 we have.

9. Francois Hougaard - Needs to play, and loves to play. Speed, guts and strength. He must start.

8. Ryan Kankowski - Looks great in the Currie Cup, and Spies needs a wake up call. Kanko is our best bet.
7. Juan Smith - We need him back. Badly.
6. Francois Louw - We need a fetcher, and with Brussouw out, he is the best we have.
5. Victor Matfield - The break would have done him well. He will be our best bet at line-out time.
4. Danie Rossouw - Hard man, and does the yards. It's a tough one between him and Flip vd Merwe.
3. CJ van der Linde - Solid in the scrums, and good on defence
2. John Smit - Will be fired up playing his 100th test.
1. Gurthro Steenkamp - Brilliant defensive prop, and has done well at scrum time.

16. Bismark du Plessis - He will be ready, and can come on at 2 with Smit moving to prop if we are doing well
17. Schalk Burger - He can come on if we are struggling with defense. Has played well so far.
18. Pierre Spies - Can also come on to perhaps spark something if he is on his game.
19. Bryan Habana - Meh, but he can still produce if the pack are dominant.
20. Ruan Pienaar - Cover for 9, 10 and 15 if need be.
21. Wynand Olivier - Has been really off, but can cover 12 and 13 if needed.
22. Flip vd Merwe - Cover for lock, and has been good in the Currie Cup.

Possible other players that we could see are Bjorn Basson, who has looked very good. Gerhard vd Heever might also be an outside shot. Jean Deysel could get a chance, as well as Dewaldt Potgieter.

What do you guys reckon? This looks like the best squad we could field in my opinion. Either way, it's a must win. No two ways about it.

I would not play Lambie yet , Jean at 12 would be my choice , Also Juan Smit off the bench , he just came back. I would start with Schalk. Kanko ? I guess ok but maybe Duane Vermulean ? And last but not least def not CJ , rather BJ.

Having said that it would not be too bad to pick your team with the exception of CJ.

I would not play Lambie yet , Jean at 12 would be my choice , Also Juan Smit off the bench , he just came back. I would start with Schalk. Kanko ? I guess ok but maybe Duane Vermulean ? And last but not least def not CJ , rather BJ.

Having said that it would not be too bad to pick your team with the exception of CJ.

Sorry , Aplon plays better at 14 being left footed , Habana needs the ball thats all. JP is still rusty and the other winger from the sharks looks a much better bet , Mjovo I think. Also I have been watching this youngster Jaco Taute from the Lions now in a few games , he is an exciting prospect , saw him play schools rugby as well , I think though at centre back then. One for the future to look out for along with that hooker of teh sharks, (I forget his name)

Sorry , Aplon plays better at 14 being left footed , Habana needs the ball thats all.

I had my doubts about Aplon but hes quickly put them to rest, playing well. As for Habana yes he does need the ball (maybe should probe a bit more) and oppertunities which hasnt been given to him this year IMO.

I had my doubts about Aplon but hes quickly put them to rest, playing well. As for Habana yes he does need the ball (maybe should probe a bit more) and oppertunities which hasnt been given to him this year IMO.

Yes and becos of lack of ball he is now a little over eager , this w\end Basson scored what can be labelled as a classic Habana try burning rubber down the touchline. Thats the Habs I miss.

Latest posts