• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Your Top 5 Sporting Memories

SelimNiai

'Ark at ee mun!
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Bristol
Im feeling a bit reminiscent this evening and in watching the football on TV and remembering happier football-supporting times it's got me wondering. If you could pick 5 of the best moments of your sporting experiences, be it playing, watching or whoever, what would they be? If you could elaborate a tad to help us understand why it's so major for you.

My 5 (In no particular order)

1. May 2008. Bristol City vs Crystal Palace (Coca Cola Championship Playoff Semi Final) It was the end of my first year at University, it was City's first season back at this level for years and nobody, not even the most deluded City fan predicted we'd be 3 games away from the Premier League. We'd been paired with Palace, with whom we'd had a fairly tasty rivalry that year and the way we not just competed with the established teams but to beat them home and away was immense. I've not been to a game with that buzz that engulfed Ashton Gate that evening. David Noble belts in the away leg winner <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ydb_5dAB-2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. September 1st 2001. Somerset CCC vs Leicestershire CCC (C+G Trophy Final) Whenever I get asked by football fans "Where were you when we beat Germany 5-1?" I say, "Lords Cricket Ground watching my team win a piece of rare silverware". Now, back in 01 Somerset were an average team, didn't have the team of stars, the expectations we have now so this was somewhat of a shock that we got this far. I was 12 at the time and the whole day will stick in my mind as the day I truly felt like not only a proper cricket fan but a Somerset lad too. I've never been slow to proclaim myself as a Welshman but on this day I became a Zummerzet. The only vid I could find was the over that I think everyone remembers from the game <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mZtLJbC42e4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. 30th June 2001. B&I Lions v Australia. My first real Lions memory, don't really have anything stored of '97 sadly. I wasn't there, unfortunately :lol: but remember getting up early, going down to Hornets RFC, my local club, to watch it on the big screen. It was a phenomenal game. And prior to the 3rd test in 09 was the last time a Lions side won a test match. I was there primarily to watch my playing hero at the time, Scott Quinnell and remember leaping around like all the rest when he powered over and did that nod in celebration, I'm not ashamed to say I did the same nob when I scored a try the following morning.

4. February 1, 2009. Superbowl XLIII. A very recent but pivotal moment in my sporting horizons. Up 'till then I didn't like the sport, had most of the same ideas about it as most do, "rugby with pads, blah, blah". In my uni course there were a few guys who liked it, including my course's head lecturer and they were going into town to watch it. So I and some others decided to as well. Such an amazing atmosphere, there was a passion and excitement in that bar that only a International rugby match comes close to matching. It was paired with a stunning game too which helped me get hooked to the game and as I'm going to the Wembley game in October it's that night I pinpoint. Plus I got ****** as a fart and ended up playing touch rugby with the lads in the snow until 7am.

5. Saturday 5 February, 2005. Wales v England. Cardiff. So many Wales moments come to mind but this is a dominant memory. I was round my grandparents' house, they are English and try to hide their families Welsh roots (long story). The nerves, the tension and those all too brief but key moments of elation. I also was doing a piece of English A-Level coursework on sports commentary and the build up and scoring of Shane's try in the corner formed a big part of it. And THAT kick. Don't really need to say much more than that.

There we go. Your turn.

(in no particular order)

Manchester United vs Chelsea Champions league final 2008

My school annoyingly was doing a musical that the whole year had to take part in. I was a bit part and remember at least ten of us watching the match on one guy's tiny phone with a radio that was 5 minutes ahead on. After the show I got my parents to race us home listening to the radio on the way I missed Tevez's penalty but saw the rest. So dramatic.

Saint Mary's College vs Kilkenny College 11-5 Junior Cup first round

Will get some slagging for this but it was the first time I'd played in front of a proper crowd. Was incredible and the feeling of winning was like nothing I'd experienced before. We tore them apart in the first half but couldn't make it count. Second half the ref wouldn't stop blowing against us but a great defensive effort saw us through pity it didn't stay for the next match...

Leinster vs Northampton 2011 Heineken Cup Final

What needs to be said to explain this one. Everyone thought we were down and out at half time but then a miracle.

St Mary's College vs Gonzaga College Foster Cup Final 2012

Not a big tournament but first time I won a proper tournament some incredibly dramatic matches along the way but this topped them all. My favorite moment was when I got an intercept (for those few who don't know I'm a prop) unfortunately it didn't lead to a try as the guy I offloaded to knocked on but a big thrill for me none the less. Any way an exciting game went on but with ten minutes to go it looked like we were certain winners being ten points up then suddenly they got two tries. Suddenly we were behind we battered away but were getting nowhere then we had a ruck halfway between the 22 and the halfway on the right hand side 5. Our 13 spotted that the only defender was a prop ran over got the ball off the 9 went down the wing and stepped the fullback running under the posts with 30 seconds to go. Everyone went mental after.

Wales vs Ireland 2009 6 Nation

Another dramatic match. My whole family on my Mum's side got together for it. Everyone went crazy for Bowe's try and even crazier when RO'G got the drop goal then the silence when Stephen Jones lined up the penalty and going even more mental when he missed was incredible.

Loads of other memories thankfully which could have made it.

October, 2011 - RWC Final (NZ vs FRA):</SPAN>
The 20 year wait to exhale for NZ rugby fans (not counting the rest of NZ that think they're too cool by not liking rugby or any sport for that matter). For the whole week, I can still remember the atmosphere of the city, heck even country - much different to the glorious win over Australia the week before. Many felt we had played our Final that week; and many also thought we would spank the French (later, and only very recently do the All Blacks admit that they were mentally and physically spent after that Australia game).

The local council set up multiple screens in the main city, and closed of several roads ion order to facilitate the massive screens. Tons of people were there clad in black.

If there was an aerial photo that night, you'd mistake the city to be covered in oil.

With a beaten up All Blacks team missing our "QB" Dan Carter, and his backup Colin Slade, we had to rely on our 3rd string 21-odd year old who was skateboarding only 2 and a half weeks earlier. For insurance, we called New Zealand's most hated and feared (mainly for fear of his innate and unmatched ability to lose games single-handedly) number 10 - Stephen Donald</SPAN>. Not to mention Captain New Zealand himself, had been hobbling on one foot; his Lieutenant, Kieran Read, had barely recovered from a round robin injury; and despite Weepu's form against Argentina, had faded.

Apart from the Try-line sniffing prop, Tony Woodcock's try would be the last moment of joy for some time throughout the game. For the rest of it, the crowd would be teetering on nerves. The last half an hour was excruciating. I was jumping up and down to try and relieve the anxiety. Then I started crouching and slightly hyperventilating. Donald kicked the goal. And then the French missed the go-ahead penalty.

The last 15 minutes turned into an eternity. And when the boys took the ball with ~2minutes to spare; everyone in the crowd willed and echoed for them to hang onto it.

Then, probably one of the most beautiful noises I will ever hear in all sport -the final whistle with roars on top from the rest of Auckland. I could literally hear the rest of the city, where tens of thousands of others scattered around with their own screens; were celebrating in joy. Strangers were hugging in celebration, and even saw a couple of South Africans wearing "All Bok" shirts (a mix of Black and Green) from the week before showing support of their adopted country against a common enemy :lol:.

Not many sporting events will top this day. Maybe the Ravens winning the Super Bowl will come close (they won in 2000/2001, I was barely watching the NFL then though). Even still, I doubt it will have the same atmosphere and feel as the RWC 2011 did.

After that, the next moments will have to be in the last NFL season - Baltimore Ravens vs. Pittsburgh Steelers. The final game-winning drive from their own 8 yard line, by Joe Flacco to win the game with seconds left. I remember coming home from work to catch it online and thinking to myself, 'we are toast, the Steelers have this'. Only to witness one of the greatest comebacks in one of sports best rivalries.

Next would probably be in Eden Park years ago; where NZ chased AUS score of 340+. A re-called Craig McMillan and a once promising Brendan McCullum chasing down the score. The final runs coming from a Glen McGrath bouncer hooked away for 4.

Another comeback story; the P4P king of combat sports, Anderson Silva who was a heavy favourite tow in, had been beaten down for most of the fight. In the last round, the fight was Chael Sonnen's and it was only 2 minutes or so away from claiming the belt. Then, came another moment that every BJJ practitioner knows is possible - Silva catching Sonnen in an Armlock/Triangle choke combination to win. It was a Rocky story of our time, and I couln't believe what I saw.

Seeing the NZ Breakers win back-to-back this year at Vector Arena was also special. A close tense game, and really solidified my love for Basketball.

(sorry for the essay :p) :lol:

1 - Winning the league this year with Senior firsts.
422680_10151347695980201_289968925200_23458630_1325274978_a.jpg

SWAG

2- Heineken cup final last year

3- grand slam 2009

4 - pulling on the blue Jersey

5 -Arsenal Double 2001-2002 In particular the Grace , poise and class of Dennis Bergkamp

1. SA vs ENG RWC 2007, I remember being so damn nervous that whole match... sheesh! And when the final whistle blew you could hear the whole town whooping and celebrating, this was from my backyard. And it's a pretty small town! Awesome awesome!

2. Don't know if this counts, but I think China's opening ceremony of the Olympics had me awestruck.

3. My school winning our interschools in our final year last year, nice memory. big victory too. After our hockey, netball etc lost it was all up to the Rugby team to win it.

4. Jacque Fourie scoring THAT try in the 2nd B&I Lions test.

5. Rooting for the underdogs (IF they don't play dirty) during each World Cup (When we're not playing ofc and except in the final, was all for NZ in 0'11)

1) 2008 Wicklow minor hurling final.

We were bloody massive under dogs against a pretty good Carnew side. They'd given us a bit of a pasting in the u16's final two years ago and had beaten us twice in the league as well. On the day we flippin' hammered them, dominated them all game. Got in a good few scraps too, cracking game.

2) 1999 Champions league final.

A seven year old me had given up hope around the 79th minute. Mehmet Scholl ws given us the absolute runaround in the middle and if either Basler or Janker had been of any use, they'd have been out of sight. Still, step up Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to do the job. That United team was pure quality. Dwight Yorke was monster up front and the central midfield pairing (which wasn't playing that day, explained an awful lot) was the best I'd ever seen until this current Barca set up.

3) 2009 minor hurling final

Much the same as the year before really, this time against Glenealy. Beat them by something mad like 20 points before the senior final, which they were in. Their crowd were not happy. :D

4) Not a specific memory, but when you're a keeper in soccer making a quality save is the best feeling in the game, bar none. I've scored **** all goals, but they don't really compare for some reason. I played a bit of casual footy this year, after having quit for about 5 years, but the feeling is as good. Sheer elation.

5) 2011 JCT, Blackrock vs St.Mary's

No words.

1. SA vs England 2007 World Cup final - When we finally won!!

2. B&I Lions 2009 2nd test vs SA. (I was at the match)
to feel the atmosphere at that game was amazing, and the chants and cheers and songs by the Lions Supporters was great! after the game we went to a local pub where me and my brother met Shane Williams, Rob Kearney and Paul O'connel.

3. SA vs Australia 5th ODI 2006
Australia batted first and scored 434 for 4
Then SA batted and chased down the total to get 438 for 9
I was Glued to my seat that whole game!!

4. 2004 Olympic Games Men's 4x100m freestyle swimming relay - South Africa won Gold Medal and set a new World Record
that was of sentimental value to my family as One of the Swimmers (Lyndon Ferns) is a family friend and my Brother used to swim with him and he was coached by my mom.

5. Every Super 14 Final the Bulls have won.

1) 2008 Wicklow minor hurling final.

We were bloody massive under dogs against a pretty good Carnew side. They'd given us a bit of a pasting in the u16's final two years ago and had beaten us twice in the league as well. On the day we flippin' hammered them, dominated them all game. Got in a good few scraps too, cracking game.

2) 1999 Champions league final.

A seven year old me had given up hope around the 79th minute. Mehmet Scholl ws given us the absolute runaround in the middle and if either Basler or Janker had been of any use, they'd have been out of sight. Still, step up Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to do the job. That United team was pure quality. Dwight Yorke was monster up front and the central midfield pairing (which wasn't playing that day, explained an awful lot) was the best I'd ever seen until this current Barca set up.

3) 2009 minor hurling final

Much the same as the year before really, this time against Glenealy. Beat them by something mad like 20 points before the senior final, which they were in. Their crowd were not happy. :D

4) Not a specific memory, but when you're a keeper in soccer making a quality save is the best feeling in the game, bar none. I've scored **** all goals, but they don't really compare for some reason. I played a bit of casual footy this year, after having quit for about 5 years, but the feeling is as good. Sheer elation.

5) 2011 JCT, Blackrock vs St.Mary's

No words.

You're reaching Feic reaching.

1. SA vs England 2007 World Cup final - When we finally won!!

2. B&I Lions 2009 2nd test vs SA. (I was at the match)
to feel the atmosphere at that game was amazing, and the chants and cheers and songs by the Lions Supporters was great! after the game we went to a local pub where me and my brother met Shane Williams, Rob Kearney and Paul O'connel.

3. SA vs Australia 5th ODI 2006
Australia batted first and scored 434 for 4
Then SA batted and chased down the total to get 438 for 9
I was Glued to my seat that whole game!!

4. 2004 Olympic Games Men's 4x100m freestyle swimming relay - South Africa won Gold Medal and set a new World Record
that was of sentimental value to my family as One of the Swimmers (Lyndon Ferns) is a family friend and my Brother used to swim with him and he was coached by my mom.

5. Every Super 14 Final the Bulls have won.

....again

1) Early nineties. Golden State Warriors loss to the Bulls but Latrell Sprewell Owns MJ by dunking in his face.
I just turned 10 and all my class mates were cheering for the Bulls, Lakers, Knicks, Celtics. Some of the best years to follow with C-Webb being drafted the year after. Then the GSW dynasty fell apart.... But still awesome memories.

2) Leuven CC vs RBCC2 2011. I started a cricket team in 2010 and we played our first league last year against RBCC2. There consisted of players from div1 while we just started in div3. They scored 327 and we fell short on 321 on the last ball.
Altho we lost that game we had an awesome season last year causing lots of mayhem for other teams.

3) High school B-ball tournament 96-97. i made the first team, broke my leg in a car accident the day before Christmas. Started playing again in March and we ended up winning the thing. Nothing special but a great come back from me ;)

4) The Cheetahs thrashing the Crusaders last year in the S15

5) The Chiefs winning on my B-day :) ( 21/04) and there current season.

1. Wales v Ireland, 2005
Pretty self-explanatory. The climax to the greatest Grand Slam I'll ever see us win.

2. Wales v France, 2008
Grand Slam #2. Made all the more poignant being in my first year at university surrounded by crowing Englishmen and women, desperate to see us lose. Walkabout in Cardiff was ridiculous and as soon as the trophy was lifted, Stereophonics - 1000 Trees came blasting on and everyone started screaming it out. Goosebumps unrivalled.

3. Scott Williams' try v England, 2012
The noise made in the Queens' Vaults when he went over was actually indescribable. I have since attempted by saying it's probably what it would sound like just before you got sucked out into space from a spaceship! I'll never forget it.

4. Ospreys v Sale, 2006
Anyone not an Ospreys fan would never recall this in a billion years, but it was the most tense and brilliant finish to a game. Rougly 30 phases over 4 minutes in added on time, before Shane (who else?) pops up with the try and fresh-faced James Hook, all of 20, slots the conversion to win the match 17-16. The stadium erupted. Strangers were hugging in the stands. Absolutely incredible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6GcpgTzX4Q

5. South Africa v Lions, 1997
Jerry Guscott's drop goal is my first ever rugby memory. I didn't really have a clue about the context, but I knew aged 7/8 it was absolutely massive, and I've been hooked ever since :)

Latest posts