• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Youth Talent Looking to been noticed

Have you tried speaking to/getting an agent?
You've had a fair bit of exposure at various levels, so it's not just like a random club player getting in contact
Could be worth a go?

Joining a club with known ties to the pro-clubs is a good idea also (E.G. Bedford Athletic, Northampton Old Scouts, Lutterworth etc).

surely with that much representitive rugby if he was going to make it he would have??
however id go for the play for club with close lenister links (if thats where he wants to get noticed) at the highest level he can

surely with that much representitive rugby if he was going to make it he would have??
Sometimes players can slip through the net. An example is James Coughlan of Munster who played for Ireland schools in the same position and then disappeared for 6 or 7 years. Mike Ross is another player who wasn't even mapped until he hit his mid 20s.

Was this guy part of a class Monkstown team which should have won the Leinster schools cup about 3 years ago? There was a quality centre on that team too- Gary Foley who was in the Leinster academy for a year.

Connacht are looking to recruit for next season. No harm in getting in touch with Eric Elwood and asking for a trial period with them.

Hello,
my name is David and I'm new to the forum, I'm looking forward to reading it. I have a son (11y.o), and he is a big sports fan, he loves to watch football and rugby. He is a great kid, and, as he is such a fan, I thought of sending him to some kind of sports center, so he can play with others and learn. I'm a little scared, because I don't want him to get hurt. Can a 11years old kid play rugby? By "play" I mean start learning it, play with kids his age, etc. When searching the internet I came across this forum, so I can ask this question, but also, I found this site, which shows some of the sporting venues (I made it short for you). I know I should call those places, but I'm working late, so for now I'm asking here, and I'd be very grateful for all you'r help that you can provide.
I also thought of singning him up for a football team, but Josh (my son) said, that he wants to try rugby first.

Any help is apprecieated.

If he wants to play get him to trainning, thats the first step.

Thanks for your answer. But isn't this sport too violent for him? I mean, won't he get hurt easily?

Having played rugby since I was 8 I can speak for the junior levels (but only for South Africa though).

I'd say 11 is a great age to start as the guys are still too small to do much damage. From 13/14 onwards some boys start getting more powerful and a rookie getting injured can possibly become a concern as rugby is a contact sport but you run the risk of injury in football as well. In fact, personally I would be more scared to play something like hockey than rugby (those sticks can do some damage).

Injury risks are different for different postitions and for me personally, playing at wing, I only ever got a serious injury when I stepped in a mole hole and tore an achilles tendon but that was due to a bad playing surface when my school played away to an under priviledged community. You WILL get some bumps and bruises though; you haven't participated if you haven't but serious injuries are rare and ones body gets used to taking impact quite fast but that is only a concern when the players' bodies start to become bigger and faster and the resulting impacts harder in later high school. One reason why it is a good idea to join early is to get a good grasp on tackling technique as most injuries in rugby occur in tackle situations or at the breakdown/set pieces (where only forwards are usually concerned and get special training - like strengthening their necks etc)

All in all, rugby is a great sport where team play is crucial teaches discipline. It is a contact sport but you would be very unlucky to get an actual injury as opposed to some bruises if you join up young and learn the ins and outs early. If you are worried about injury, maybe ask that your boy play in an outback position where I'd say the least amount of contact will occur and learn the basics in that position while he is developing.

Last edited:
Not dangerous at all 11 is a great age to be playing rugby as it's not quite fully developed yet still slightly competitive but more about having fun.

Ok, thanks, I'll tell him the good news ;) I was a little bit scared at first, but thanks to your answers I know there is nothing to worry about.
Thank you again.

there are 000s of Mini rugby clubs all over the country. The idea is, the U7s & U8s start off playing touch rugby on tiny little pitches, then as you grow older, there's more players to a team, larger pitches, and the game becomes more like the adult one.. Full Contact starts at U9 level, playing 15-a-side on a full pitch starts at U13.

And of course it'll be a physical game because it's a contact sport, but if your son can put up with a few bumps and bruises he'll be fine.

Latest posts