• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

101 on NRL

Chevalier

Academy Player
Country Flag
Bermuda
Club or Nation
Harlequins
Being an outsider, I would like to know which are the biggest rivalries in NRL, the teams that really dislike each other, the story behind, so, whoever is willing to tell something about the teams, I am more than welcome, because sometimes I watch NRL on TV, but not knowing what is behind, for example, Sharks against Dragons, since both are in the Sydney region, is a little boring to me.

Being an outsider, I would like to know which are the biggest rivalries in NRL, the teams that really dislike each other, the story behind, so, whoever is willing to tell something about the teams, I am more than welcome, because sometimes I watch NRL on TV, but not knowing what is behind, for example, Sharks against Dragons, since both are in the Sydney region, is a little boring to me.

I'm a Roosters (Eastern suburbs of Sydney) fan, and our biggest rivalry is against The South Sydney Rabbitohs. This is one of the bigger rivalries in the comp, with both teams being foundation sides that date back to 1908. The Roosters and Souths have a pretty bitter rivalry, with each encroaching on eachothers territory and representing different demographics (East more affluent, South less so - at least originally... all those areas are ****ing expensive now). Souths accused Easts of poaching a lot of its players and in tern got half of Easts' juniors territory annexed and dedicated to Souths back in the 50s. As a result, Easts talent base was gutted for years and they weren't competitive again until the 70s really.

There's plenty of other rivalries of course, but I reckon that's one of the best.

Broncos v Cowboys has become a great one, but it's still pretty new.

Thanks man, that´s the kind of history that, in my opinion, makes the game more amusing!!!! :buddies:

Thanks man, that´s the kind of history that, in my opinion, makes the game more amusing!!!! :buddies:

No worries. You'll find too that if you watch Roosters v Rabbitohs games they'll often pan to Russell Crowe in the crowd (as he's at most of their games if he's not working on a film) and he's a massive douchebag toward us. Once when Souths were hammering us, they panned to Crowe in his box and he did the Gladiator "thumbs down" gesture - such a dick.

Latest posts