• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2007 Preseason Rankings?

S

scuubasteve

Its just about that time again for NZ's premier provincial comp to get underway.

After a revamped round robin format, and a good few player transfers, the second installment of the Air New Zealand cup should provide nationwide excitement outside the World Cup goings on.

So lets hear from a few Kiwi's about where they think their teams might finish up come finals time (and to any others who feel like they might know something the locals don't).

Here's my picks:

1. Auckland
2. Wellington
3. Waikato
4. North Harbour
5. Canterbury
6. Otago
7. Taranaki
8. Hawkes Bay
9. Bay of Plenty
10. Southland
11. Northland
12. Manawatu
13. Tasman
14. Counties Manukau

Now lets hear what you guys think...

I think Auckland will come 3rd before the finals start..

Waikato and Wellington to lead them

i'm hoping the mooloos are as strong as they were last year and can make it back to back

Here's my picks:

1. Auckland
2. Wellington
3. Waikato
4. North Harbour
5. Canterbury
6. Otago
7. Taranaki
8. Hawkes Bay
9. Bay of Plenty
10. Southland
11. Northland
12. Manawatu
13. Tasman
14. Counties Manukau

Now lets here what you guys think... [/b]

I cant believ you think manawatu are going to finish higher than Counties and Tasman, maybe tasman but definitley not Counties, i mean they have an aesome backline which is lead by masaga and Niva Tauaso, they will finish higher than last. But i do agree that Aucklan is going to win it, pure class all round, and with David Smith in there who knows what could happen.

Haha, yeah the pick for Manawatu was somewhat swayed by heart rather than head. But they did beat Taranaki lastnight in the preseason.

Aparently the same Taranaki who thrashed Waikato last weekend??

So I guess all that means is
A: This could be a closely fought comp

and

B: You can't read too much into preseason!!

Yes I'm a one-eyed Auckland supporter but not an ignorant one. Looking at the squads, the major unions (apart from Otago) seem to be stacked up of good talents. Waikato still got the majority of their winning squad fromlast year, Canterbury can never be counted out being the pricks they are, Wellington has got some talented young guns coming up the ranks and Log of Wood holders Harbour is gonna rattle the big boys.

Cant say the same though for the Hawkes Bay, Manawatu, Southland, etc... maybe in 5 years time when talent is evely spread, then they will be competitive but in the time being, they should be contend with the bottom-half of the table.

Here's how I think the Table will look like after the final round game.

1. Waikato

2. Canterbury

3. Auckland

4. North Harbour

5. Wellington

6. Taranaki

7. Hawkes Bay

8. Bay of Plenty

9. Counties Manukau

10. Otago

11. Southland

12. Manawatu

13. Tasman

14. Northland

1. Waikato
2. Auckland
3. Wellington
4. Cantebury
5. North Harbour
6. Bay of Plenty
7. Otago
8. Southland
9. Counties Manauka
10. Taranaki
11. Hawkes Bay
12. Tasman
13. Northland
14. Manawatu

...Wellington has got some talented young guns coming up the ranks... [/b]
Yep yep and a lot coming from the Northern United Rugby Club - Porirua. Norths Repz!

...back to the topic, here's my picks.

1. Auckland
2. Wellington
3. Canterbury
4. Waikato
5. North Harbour
6. Otago
7. Southland
8. Taranaki
9. Bay of Plenty
10. Northland
11. Tasman
12. Hawks Bay
13. Counties - Manukau
14. Manawatu

Mine:

1.Wellington

2.Waikato

3.Auckland

4.North Harbour

5.Canterbury

6.Southland

7.Otago

8.Taranaki

9.Hawkes Bay

10.Northland

11.Counties

12.Bay Of Plenty

13.Tasman

14.Manawatu

It's funny as a Southland supporter, in that as you read down everyone's lists, our position gets higher and higher, to 6th which would almost be best case scenario. Although, we do have a lot of home games this season we'd be expected to win eg Hawkes Bay, Northland, Counties, Manawatu and away game Taranaki, with possibly Otago, BoP, Harbour wins as well, all being teams we've previously beaten.

Admittedly the top guns Auckland and Waikato will be hard to beat, but we don't play Canterbury or Wellington either, so looks promising for quarter final at least (and a shield challenge or two).

Unfortunately our ability to play to the level of our opposition (hence wins over Canterbury etc then losses to BoP and Counties) may be our undoing yet again...

It's funny as a Southland supporter, in that as you read down everyone's lists, our position gets higher and higher, to 6th which would almost be best case scenario. Although, we do have a lot of home games this season we'd be expected to win eg Hawkes Bay, Northland, Counties, Manawatu and away game Taranaki, with possibly Otago, BoP, Harbour wins as well, all being teams we've previously beaten.

Admittedly the top guns Auckland and Waikato will be hard to beat, but we don't play Canterbury or Wellington either, so looks promising for quarter final at least (and a shield challenge or two).

Unfortunately our ability to play to the level of our opposition (hence wins over Canterbury etc then losses to BoP and Counties) may be our undoing yet again... [/b]

No disrespect bro but I dont think Southland will do well this year. Yes, a win over Manawatu, BoP, Northland is on the cards but I dont think they will be able to beat Harbour.

IMO, Harbour is one of the dark horses this year. Look for them to make the semis or even the final.

You're probably right looking at the effort vs Hawkes Bay. On paper we should have rolled them, form is a big factor isn't it?

having had the benefit of watching the first week of the comp... I would say that

1) Wellington
2) Auckland
3) Waikato
4) Canterbury
5) North Harbour
6) Otago
7) Bay of Plenty
8) Hawke's Bay
9) Taranaki
10) Counties Manukau
11) Northland
12) Tasman
13) Manawatu
14) Southland

Maybe I am being a bit harsh on Southland, but they were awful (especially their backline) at home to Hawke's Bay.

Latest posts