• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2012/13 H Cup pools

psychic duck

International
Here are pots for the 2012/13 Heineken Cup draw

• Each pool will have 1 team from each pot
  • No pool can have more than 1 side from the same nation
  • Except for one pool which will have two French teams as they have 7 teams qualified

The hardest potential pool:
Leinster, Clermont, Saracens, Exeter

The weakest potential pool:
Cardiff Blues, Edinburgh, Connacht, An Italian team

I bet every team would like a group with the new Italian team in it

Here is the ERC Rankings in full

Leinster (40 pts)
Toulouse (27)
Biarritz (23)
Munster (23)
Cardiff Blues (20)
Northampton (20)
Clermont (18)
Ulster (17)
Leicester (17)
Stade Français (17)
Harlequins (15)
Toulon (15)
Edinburgh (12)
Ospreys (12)
Wasps (12)
Perpignan (11)
Bath (10)
Scarlets (9)
Glasgow (9)
Saracens (8)
Brive (8)
Gloucester (7)
London Irish (6)
Connacht (6)
Sale (5)
Bourgoin (5)
Treviso (4)
Castres (4)
Racing-Métro (3)
Montpellier (3)
Dragons (3)
Newcastle (3)
Aironi (2)
Exeter (2)
La Rochelle (2)
Worcester (2)
Viadana (1)
Montauban (1)
Calvisano (1)

Which teams do you think are most overrated by the rankings?

and which teams are most underrated by the rankings>

I think Biarritz is the weakest side on the first pool, and the three french sides on the fourth pool are definitely ahead in level of most sides on the third.

I think Biarritz is the weakest side on the first pool, and the three french sides on the fourth pool are definitely ahead in level of most sides on the third.

I doubt Biarritz are weaker than Cardiff at the moment! As I said in the other thread, major upheaval with 12 players leaving and hardly the most exciting replacements being drafted in, and the new salary cap probably meaning that we wont see anything better signed between now and the start of the HC...

Connacht have never qualified for the Heineken Cup off their own bat and have one total win in the competition. The rankings are flawed when they're a 3rd seed ahead of the likes of Top 14 semi finalists last season Racing Metro and finalists Montpellier.

Connacht have never qualified for the Heineken Cup off their own bat and have one total win in the competition. The rankings are flawed when they're a 3rd seed ahead of the likes of Top 14 semi finalists last season Racing Metro and finalists Montpellier.

I'm guessing that performances in the Amlin count towards the seedings too? Connacht generally do fairly well in the Amlin as far as I can remember

I'm guessing that performances in the Amlin count towards the seedings too? Connacht generally do fairly well in the Amlin as far as I can remember

They do, hence Cardiff having such a (ludicrously) high ranking.

Biarritz, Edinburgh and the Italians next season for the Os please.

They do, hence Cardiff having such a (ludicrously) high ranking.

Biarritz, Edinburgh and the Italians next season for the Os please.

Not sure if it's all that ludicrous... since 07 - 08 they've made it to the quarters 3 out of 5 times, once making it to the semis (which gives a pretty decent amount of points in the seedings I think) plus one of the seasons they didnt they won the Amlin which off the top of my head is worth the same as making a quarter or semi final in the Heineken. Think coming second in the pool but not qualifying for the quarters/amlin also gives a point or two (which they did last season), so not as if they havent been consistently earning seeding points. There's a whole page on it somewhere on the ERC website I think.

The draw for the 2012/13 Heineken Cup pools will take place at the Aviva Stadium, Dublin on Tuesday, 12 June at 11.15am streamed live on the ERC web site.....

Pool 1 - Munster, Edinburgh, Saracens, Racing Metro 92
Pool 2 - Toulouse, Leicester, Ospreys, Treviso
Pool 3 - Biarritz, Harlequins, Connacht, Zebre
Pool 4 - Northampton, Ulster, Glasgow, Castres
Pool 5 - Leinster, Clermont, Scarlets, Exeter
Pool 6 - Cardiff, Toulon, Sale, Montpellier

Pool 1 Munster Edinburgh Saracens Racing

Pool 2 Toulouse Leicester Ospreys Benetton

Pool 3 Biarritz Quins Connaught Zebre

Pool 4 N/Hampton Ulster Glasgow Castres

Pool 5 Leinster ASM Scarletts Exeter

Pool 6 Cardiff Toulon Sale Montpellier

Happy enough with that group.
Montpellier not ideal from the bottom tier, but Cardiff the best from Tier 1.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Reckon dear old Biarritz have pulled another good draw...............compared to the others that is................we keep doing it! I would like to think qualification is a possibility as one of best runners up unless we lose to another Italian side!! I will still go with Leinster to do it again!

What a crap pool for Munster. For that reason alone they'll probably get through, Connacht has a reasonable pool. Group six seems the easiest to get out of.

Pool 1 is the pool of death imo.
Between Toulon and Montpellier for Pool 6.
Don't think Ospreys will get through pool 2.
Quins should go through Pool 3, but Biarritz or even Connacht could have a go, Zebra will be destroyed.
Pool 4 is another contender for pool of death, can't call the winner of that one.
I think Leinster and Clermont will go through Pool 5, Scarlets have no chance, especially with their pack next year.

Pool 1 is the pool of death imo.
Between Toulon and Montpellier for Pool 6.
Don't think Ospreys will get through pool 2.
Quins should go through Pool 3, but Biarritz or even Connacht could have a go, Zebra will be destroyed.
Pool 4 is another contender for pool of death, can't call the winner of that one.
I think Leinster and Clermont will go through Pool 5, Scarlets have no chance, especially with their pack next year.
They'll certainly have to earn their stripes :p (don't hurt me)

My thoughts:
Edinburgh will not progress.
One of the qualified second placed teams will come from pool three. I think there is good chance the second will come from pool 4: Castres don't have the depth to play a good H cup. This means that there is a strong chance one of ASM and Leinster don't go through. Leinster are favourites to qualify, but we may see them eliminated before the QF.
Pool 6 seems like a coin toss. Only teams that are capable of very good and very bad stuff.

Latest posts