• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013/14 Premiership] Round 5

Not been the greatest game for Twelverees with regards to his distribution/decision making (everything else had been grand, though) - luckily May was about to save his butchered 5 on 2.

Achilles had a heel. Gloucester have the scrum.

It's demoralising to see your team get pinged at most scrums for 5 games in a row, sometimes against second-string props and/or props that aren't known for their scrummaging ability. ND can't recruit because we are at the salary cap (would you believe it? if ever proof that other teams spend over the cap...), so it should be a problem for the whole season. EDIT: next game, Bath? F**k this.

It effects other areas too because you can't create any momentum. But there are other worries such as the second and back row losing nearly every carrying collision they go into.

Big clear out coming this season. Tui could be a good first signing.

Last edited:
It's not just in the scrum, your front row just aren't very good.
There isn't really an obvious pecking order, there is just a handful of average (at best) players.

Did anyone watch the bath game? Why did they loose and how did Eastmond JJ go in the centres? if 12trees isn't on form we might have them come November

The Bath pack were dominated at the breakdown, and their lineout was not effective.
Losing Webber, Attwood and Houston was apparently terminal.

The backs struggled to break the line because the forwards could not get them any momentum, both Kyle and JJ's game's depend on quick ball.
It would have been better if Banahan/Williams was there to crash ball.

With Bath, Gloucester and Quins all playing pretty poo atm we should just discount all their players,
Burrell and Forsyth in the centres, Binny Seymour and Dickinson in the backrow, Cipriani at 10, Foden at 15 etc.

:p

So How did I do this week?

Um, Sale blew it. Not a good start. 0/6

Irish beat Quins.... JEEZ! C'mon Quins! REALLY!?! Did anyone but the most die hard LI fan get this right??? 0/6 Quins officially suck.

Sarracens beat wasps. Don't, care they are still gay, 0/6 :)D man, this is awesome!)

Newcastle beat Worcester. I'd look smug right now if I hadn't already got three wrong. ...Actually, why the hell not eh! :cool: Check me out getting a prediction right. Yeah, i know, I have low standards 1/6

Tigs drew with saints.... How???? I can't say we deserved it and I can't see toby getting that england ten shirt wihout a drastic improvement to his kicking! C'mon toby sort it out, i'd like England to score a few tries this autumn and that won't happen with farrel at ten.
Leicester by the way were lucky to get that draw. northampton really do need to sort their last 20 minutes out. That was Eurocup v leinster-esque. 1/6

Chicks beat Glaws - I just want to congratulate Holly Willoughby on captaining her girls team to victory over Gloucester Rugby (this will make sense (ish) if you read my predictions on friday) . Beaten by a bunch or girlie girls. They weren't even facing superbabes Jessica Ennis-Hill! Tut, the infamy! 2/6

2/6 and proud of it!!!! :p

Last edited:
Watched sarries v wasps from the weekend last night and although it wasnt a very high scoring game,I found it very interesting and 4 players stood out for me with regards to England contention:

1-Will Fraser- On his first game back from a long term injury I was quite impressed, I have always liked him as a player and he put in a good performance. I counted at least 3 turnovers that were caused by him and he was generally quite prominent in the loose as well as getting over the try line showing decent gas. I think if he didnt have the injury last season and went on the argy tour he would be right up there competing with kvesic and robshaw for the seven shirt, but if he starts putting in regular performances like the one at the weekend (although it is hard with Burger playing so well at the minute) and keeps improving he could be involved in the six nations. I definitely rate him higher than Wallace.

2-Joe Launchbury- I am a huge Dave Attwood fan and so over the last few weeks i have been calling for him to start for england and replace either launchbury or parling, but after being reminded of the monumental work in the loose that launchbury gets through I dont think he can be dropped, he had a very good game. So I think Attwood should be on the bench against Aus, with a view to start him instead of Parling against Argentina.

3-Christian Wade- For good and bad reasons. Firstly and most importantly his attack is absolutely outstanding every time he gets it you feel he can make something happen. But his defence is so passive, he tends to back off and wait for inside defenders to tackle people running at him, which is sometimes good, but it means the opposition make huge gains against him. Because of this for him to be a success for England he needs a really hard working and quality defender at 13, someone in the Conrad Smith mould, Tuilagi is not this, and I think I would prefer Tuilagi than Wade at the moment (but he is injured). He is also a bit dodgy under the high ball. I would still take him over ashton any day but I think I would prefer someone a bit more safe like Johnny May with Yarde on the other wing until Wades poor attributes improve.

4-Elliot Daly-Is quality, I really rate him, I dont know why he went off early? He made a couple of nice runs with limited space and his kicking game is awesome. He is very versatile as well and so needs to be in the EPS IMO, I think he is best at 15 but could be good at 13 or even wing? not sure about his defence though, is that the reason hes only in the saxons or is it because he toured with the baabaas instead or going to Argentina?

Agree that Fraser and Kvesic are quite a bit ahead of Wallace.

I too am a huge Attwood fan, but I don't think it's fair to drop either Lanchbury or Parling.

I think most people share your feelings about Wade. He is electric going forward but there are definite issues defensively.

According to yesterday's evening standard Daly went off because of a foot injury, but not on the foot me broke in pre-season.

Latest posts