• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013/14 Pro12] Round 6

Essentially showing why he still shouldn't be considered for Ireland. Or if he is why Ferg would have to be in the team somewhere.

Yeah Ii don't understand how he can go from 6/6 to this.

Great try that.

Yeah, very well dotted down by Trimble too.

Just switched over to the Glasgow Munster game to see Hanrahan go over out wide. Excellent break.

Good win for Ulster. Score was a little harsh at the end.

Blues still looking poor in defence I'm afraid. Far too tight near the ruck on the second phase. Scott Andrews got mullered. It sured up a bit when Filise came on.

Olding was a very handy little player for Uster. Is he usually that fiery or was the Blues defence making him look good?

A shame that Murray isn't a few years older. I'd have him starting if there was an older head inside him.

Murray has plenty of experience these days, 20 odd caps, a world cup and a Lions tour. I heard JJ has a bit of an ego(shocking for an outhalf) and they're bringing him through slowly to keep him grounded.

Olding's generally pretty awesome.

Job done, entertaining enough match. Reckon Anscombe will have plenty to say to them though - know I would.

I'd have him starting if there was an older head inside him.
37npUl4.jpg

Murray has plenty of experience these days, 20 odd caps, a world cup and a Lions tour. I heard JJ has a bit of an ego(shocking for an outhalf) and they're bringing him through slowly to keep him grounded.

Rumours are that Racing are looking for him for next season.........................

Lorenzetti seems to have a raging erection for Irish players at the moment!

Munster were lucky there, Glasgow/Matawalu gave up at least 12 easily kickable points in the last half hour.

Good win for Munster, Hanrahan excellent, will soon be first choice.
I really think he should be on the first choice teamsheet right now at inside centre. Quality player. Could challenge Luke Marshall for the 12 shirt before the end of this season and after the next world cup make the Ireland 10 shirt his own.

How did Stuart Olding go at fullback? It seems as though Jared Payne is the heir to the Ireland 13 shirt (notwithstanding my dislike for the 3 year residency rule). That has Olding in the unenviable position of being the second best 10, 12 and 15 in the Ulster squad. If it were my call, I'd try Olding at 12 with Marshall at 13 for a few games. Leave Payne at 15 and Paddy Jackson at 10. The other option is put Olding up head to head with Jackson.

Olding did some decent things, but also got charged down and missed a 1 on 1 to concede a try. Most of the best things he did came when he popped up at 12. Wasn't really tested under the high ball either. I'd be happy enough seeing him at 15 again, he can do it and he's clearly a very special talent, but I'm not sure he's a better full-back than Gilroy and he's certainly nowhere near Payne. Granted, Cardiff were more ragged, but we looked a fair bit more dangerous with Olding at 12, Cave at 13 and Payne at 15. I think Olding's best position looks like being 12 - although so hard to tell - but I'm not sure Marshall is a 13. Not sure why, just doesn't look it. No harm trying it some more I guess. Starting anyone other than Cave in a HEC match just doesn't appeal though.

I'd like to see Olding get some time at 10. Not with a mind to supplanting Jackson - I'm not ruling it out, but good luck to the lad in replicating Jackson's control from 10 - but with a thought that have Jackson/Marshall with Olding replacing whichever guy is injured/in inferior form is a pretty workable basis going forwards.

Olding created 3 tries for Ulster. He missed a 1 on 1 tackle but what he did in attack far outweighed that mistake. There was also the blockdown as peat said and almost kicked the ball out on the full but got a very lucky bounced. Watch some of the highlights on the Rabo youtube channel. He will win many Irish caps in the future.

**** no SO'B.

EDIT: Not going too well so far.

Last edited:
Cmac will be creaming himself the way Ferg is playing.

Is it good or worrying to see Cronin pace O'Hallorn.

That was another awful performance from Leinster. Where has the imaginative attack that Joe Schmidt brought gone? A win is a win but we've come to expect so much more. Positives include the defence (excellent again) and the scrummaging of the props. Negatives include virtually everything else.

Latest posts