• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 EOYT] Ireland

He had a fantastic Lions tour, but I think Irish fans have been too quick to proclaim that as his true and definite level, rather than a peak in form which he now has to sustain. It really was not that long ago that Murray's form in an Ireland shirt had people howling Munster bias and calling for Reddan to take his place.

Playing against sides like NSW Country XV and Melbourne Rebels it should also be noted ...

Having said that I would have started him for the 3rd test, it's a sad indictment on the state of scrum halves in NH that Phillips was considered the best option.

Playing against sides like NSW Country XV and Melbourne Rebels it should also be noted ...

Having said that I would have started him for the 3rd test, it's a sad indictment on the state of scrum halves in NH that Phillips was considered the best option.

Yeah, but I he was pretty good in the two tests he featured in as well.

Didn't think too much of his 6N personally. I think he's showed the potential to be a great scrum-half, when he concentrates on quick ball he's really good, but when he starts getting this "I'm Mike Philips" nonsense into his head he is legitimately awful. And I don't think Schmidt's going to be able to wash all of it out right away.

I think Murray has been overhyped by the media a lot since the lions tour but I do think his game has really come on over the last year. He took on a lot of responsibility in the 6N when Paddy came in and I was pretty impressed by that.

Scrum Half is a huge problem position for Ireland, Murray is ok but very overrated. France, England and Scotland all have better first choice, in form Phillips is better but whether or not Phillips will be in form any time soon is a different question altogether. Behind Murray we're in the **** for now, Marmion is looking like he could do a job within two years but not now and Reddan and Boss are on the way out. (Although I still prefer Reddan, he improved the pace of the game immensely against Castres) Murray had a good Lions tour but as stated it was against B rate sides with 10 minute cameos in the tests. His 6 nations wasn't great for me. He was good against Wales but that was really the Johnny Sexton show, he was good against France but his performance was taken incredibly out of proportion by the media and he was **** against Scotland and Italy, he allowed Jackson to play 10-15 metres deep which you cannot do as a 9, if he'd taken on responsibility like people have said Jackson would have looked a whole lot less awful! He allowed him to play deep, there seemed to be no communication between the two of them and the only time Ireland got past the gain line against was when Ian Madigan took it sprinting off Murray at his own accord.

Murray is good and all we've got currently but the sooner we get someone to challenge him the better, he's not consistent enough to get through a full international season without one or two costly howlers.

I reckon Marmion looks the long term option but people have been saying that about Luke McGrath too, not really sure who's the better player time will tell.

Scrum Half is a huge problem position for Ireland, Murray is ok but very overrated. France, England and Scotland all have better first choice, in form Phillips is better but whether or not Phillips will be in form any time soon is a different question altogether. Behind Murray we're in the **** for now, Marmion is looking like he could do a job within two years but not now and Reddan and Boss are on the way out. (Although I still prefer Reddan, he improved the pace of the game immensely against Castres) Murray had a good Lions tour but as stated it was against B rate sides with 10 minute cameos in the tests. His 6 nations wasn't great for me. He was good against Wales but that was really the Johnny Sexton show, he was good against France but his performance was taken incredibly out of proportion by the media and he was **** against Scotland and Italy, he allowed Jackson to play 10-15 metres deep which you cannot do as a 9, if he'd taken on responsibility like people have said Jackson would have looked a whole lot less awful! He allowed him to play deep, there seemed to be no communication between the two of them and the only time Ireland got past the gain line against was when Ian Madigan took it sprinting off Murray at his own accord.

Murray is good and all we've got currently but the sooner we get someone to challenge him the better, he's not consistent enough to get through a full international season without one or two costly howlers.

Coming from you thats almost huge praise for Murray. Also I'd have Murray ahead of Dickson any day (first choice vs Australia :p)

Murray has shown improvements and I look forward to seeing how he'll play under Schmidt. Marmion will be a quality player soon (as long as he doesn't go play for Wales) and McGrath and Cooney should start getting chances, while Heaney looks decent at Ulster. It's a lot of it's and buts but at least some should make it.

Btw way strong hints coming out that PO'C is captain. (Well I say strong, maybe not so strong really).

Fitzgerald is playing at 13 for Leinster again this weekend. A sign of things to come? He's made it pretty clear that's where he wants to be operating. Few enough lads released from the international squad by the looks of things, only Martin Moore, which is out of necessity as much as anything else.

Btw way strong hints coming out that PO'C is captain. (Well I say strong, maybe not so strong really).

Was watching a video that the IRFU put out today, they were lined up to take a squad photo and it looked like POC was sitting next the Joe so I think you can probably say the hints are quite strong.

i hope to see ireland playing better than they did in the six nations but im pretty sure they will thats a definite

Ireland vs New Zealand

As you may or may not know Ireland will face New Zealand this November in Dublin and I personally feel an upset is on the cards , any one else agree?

I know everything would suggest you are right but I feel Ireland's pack are physically stronger than the New Zealand pack when fully fit (with ferris) and their backline has a world class half back pairing along with o Driscoll and two dangerous wingers in bowe and zebo who can literally do anything ? Plus Kearney is arguable one of the best 15s in the modern game . To add to this you have experience on

Yeah... But no. We don't stand a chance. NZ by 15+ easily.
1: Healy
2: Best
3: Ross
4: Ryan
5: Henderson
6: Ferris
7: O'Brien
8: Heaslip
9: Murray
10: Sexton
11: Zebo
12: Marshall
13: BO'D
14: Bowe
15: Kearney

That is my ideal Ireland XV and even that I don't think would come within 10 points of the current NZ side, 2nd test last year was a one off and I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

As you may or may not know Ireland will face New Zealand this November in Dublin and I personally feel an upset is on the cards , any one else agree?

Currently an overall record of:

Played 27 - All Blacks 26 Wins - Ireland 0 wins - 1 Draw.

That doesn't bode well to start with, but given that this current AB team is arguably one of the best ever my answer to you is a big NO ;)

Looking at the Irish side that UlsterRugby2012 has named, I have to say that the only position where I see them having a definite edge against the All Blacks is #13, barring any injuries. Obviously, I haven't seen how the Irish players have been doing, but I have seen the last few games that the All Blacks have played and I'm extremely doubtful that Ireland will win.

Latest posts