• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2013 EOYT] Ireland

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
Ireland's matchups look absolutely delicious just checking their schedule (which prompted me to compose this piece of..)
AND SO...here they are:

- Samoa
- Australia
- NZ

All 3 are tough. And not in a polite, respectful kind of way. This ain't no BS here - all three are TOUGH.
I think the realistic best Ireland can achieve is 2 out of 3.

As tough as Samoa is these days, Ireland will be starting off "easy", and gradually move up to harder and harder.

Now, we haven't seen a full Ireland side play since the woeful 6N back in Feb. where they simply didn't show all they had and silly little details came crushing their hopes of claiming a ***le as they were co-favorites before the start of the tournament. I'm sure they have plenty in store for the November tourists.
* They'll have to play it tactical against Samoa. They're not going to out-rugby them so to speak, in pure athleticism, backs running, mass and pure physical prowess etc...I personally can't see Ireland scoring a bunch of tries on Samoa, though they'll get the one I predict. They'll have to kick their way to victory and contain those powerful Pac. Islanders' thighs, count on their faults a little bit.

* Australia: oh my, the first since the RWC pool stage upset ! Australia has had trouble in Ireland in recent years. Wallabies haven't won there since 2005 actually. An intriguing match-up this time around..

* NZ: after a 60-0 blowout, a chance for Ireland to make amends with their crowd at home. This one's late in November, and the last test for both teams for the year 2013. Quite a few factors could influence the outcome of this match.

I just hope BOD can get a win over NZ before he retires, and maybe some sensible tactics and selections.

I just hope BOD can get a win over NZ before he retires, and maybe some sensible tactics and selections.

He's still playing ?? awwww man, you're right I read that ***le too fast the other day, he's calling quits AT THE END of this year..
I can't see it man, but Ireland have that special something when defending their home field. Just as of late, to pick some examples: Australia not winning there since 2005, or Argentina still win-less on Irish soil (though they've beaten every other single 6N team at home).

Ire has managed some interesting results in recent years against the Blacks despite the occasional blowout NZ inflicts on everyone every once in a while.
Ireland has the backs to score a try or two in potential against em.

So the form Ireland 23 after the first round of the HC is

15 Kearney
14 Bowe
13 Macken
12 Darcy
11 Earls
10 Jackson
9 Marmion
8 Heaslip
7 O'brien
6 Wilson
5 Touhy
4 Toner
3 Moore
2 Cronin
1 Healy

16 Best
17 McGrath
18 Fitzpatrick
19 O'Connell
20 Henderson
21 Boss
22 Sexton
23 McFadden

Purely picked on this weekends form.

A long way from the test team. I didn't think Macken did all that much on the weekend. No mistakes, but didn't stand out by any means.

I wonder how many people would be opposed to Devin Toner's inclusion in the 23 at this point. He's been the form lock in the country for some point now. His work rate is highly improved and he could be the key to us regaining our former strength at the lineout. Also worth keeping an eye on Martin Moore this weekend. If Ross doesn't make it back he's going to have another big day in Europe ahead of him. Should he be able to come through the Castres game without being shoved back we'll probably have to start thinking of him in an international capacity by the time the Six Nations rolls around.

So the form Ireland 23 after the first round of the HC is

15 Kearney
14 Bowe
13 Macken
12 Darcy
11 Earls
10 Jackson
9 Marmion
8 Heaslip
7 O'brien
6 Wilson
5 Touhy
4 Toner
3 Moore
2 Cronin
1 Healy

16 Best
17 McGrath
18 Fitzpatrick
19 O'Connell
20 Henderson
21 Boss
22 Sexton
23 McFadden

Purely picked on this weekends form.
y isn't jonny sexton starting

A long way from the test team. I didn't think Macken did all that much on the weekend. No mistakes, but didn't stand out by any means.

I wonder how many people would be opposed to Devin Toner's inclusion in the 23 at this point. He's been the form lock in the country for some point now. His work rate is highly improved and he could be the key to us regaining our former strength at the lineout. Also worth keeping an eye on Martin Moore this weekend. If Ross doesn't make it back he's going to have another big day in Europe ahead of him. Should he be able to come through the Castres game without being shoved back we'll probably have to start thinking of him in an international capacity by the time the Six Nations rolls around.

I'd really like to see Toner given some time, he's on of the big (sorry) reasons that Cronin's throwing has been accurate.

I wouldn't have a problem giving Moore a go either if he can keep playing the way he is. Rather him than Archer and Fitzpatrick will probably break soon.

Plenty of 50/50 calls for Schmidt to make in terms of player selection.

I think they'll win against Samoa and Australia. Its far from certain and much depends on how fast Schmidt can get the team to click with his style of play. The Leinster players know him and he has held a few training sessions and visited each provinces so they should be aware of whats expected. Schmidt will get the team playing better than Kidney or EOS. Thats a certainty. Whether that translates to winning is another matter.

John Plumtree is an unknown for the players but still a highly rated forward coach. Defence coach Les Kiss has been there for years so they should have no problem adapting to his style.

For the Samoan match I don't think they'll change thing much apart from picking a few bigger players perhaps. They'll probably look to play at a high pace and tire the Samoans out. Against Australia they'll keep it tight and use the pack more. Maybe try for a few scrum penalties. NZ doesn't have many weaknesses. They'll probably keep it tight and wait for opportunities to come by.

I'd like to see Toner given a shot, he's been on great form and after O'Connell we're not exactly blessed with great second rows.

What are peoples opinions on 11 with Zebo injured, I'd like to see Mcfadden with an extended run because he has always played well when picked for Ireland but was never favored under Kidney.

I thought there was no chance that Jackson would get the 23 jersey ahead of Madigan but Madigan will find it very difficult to get it off Jackson now, unless of course Jackson implodes like he does every now and then between now and November!

Joe's had virtually no time to put his stamp on things yet. I reckon we'll see the usual suspects to make the team as cohesive as possible this autumn plus a few 50/50 calls going Leinster's way as he knows them and they know him. Similar to what Gatland did with the welsh guys on the Lions tour. We'll then see the gradual introduction of new guys. That's what I would do and I'm a genius.

I'd like to see Toner given a shot, he's been on great form and after O'Connell we're not exactly blessed with great second rows.

What are peoples opinions on 11 with Zebo injured, I'd like to see Mcfadden with an extended run because he has always played well when picked for Ireland but was never favored under Kidney.

I thought there was no chance that Jackson would get the 23 jersey ahead of Madigan but Madigan will find it very difficult to get it off Jackson now, unless of course Jackson implodes like he does every now and then between now and November!

I'd prefer someone like Fitzgerald if he stays fit. Think he's the perfect winger for the Schmidt gameplan. Earls has been playing some good stuff as well, with Gilroy to come back in and Trimble we have a number of options.

I'd prefer someone like Fitzgerald if he stays fit. Think he's the perfect winger for the Schmidt gameplan. Earls has been playing some good stuff as well, with Gilroy to come back in and Trimble we have a number of options.

Fitzgerald needs to earn his spot in Leinster's starting fifteen first.

I wouldn't be inclined to go with McFadden tbh. He doesn't strike me as a top class winger. Adequate, but not going to win you any games. I'd like to see Craig Gilroy in there.

I'm assuming you haven't watched a lot of rugby recently..
He's right though. Jackson has had a couple of good kicking displays back to back but he needs to do it more often for it to become a significant trend. That said, he's playing with a lot more confidence this season and has moved ahead of Ian Madigan in the Ireland pecking order. It's good to see.

I'm a fan of Zebo and saw him injure himself when Munster played Edinburgh. It was so innocuous; he just seemed to pull up before setting up a ruck. Similar to when he pulled up v England in the 6 Nations; which if I recall correctly he also broke a bone in his foot. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

As for his replacement in the squad- Craig Gilroy?

Last edited:
With Zebo out the back 3 I'd hope to would be 11. Gilroy 14. Bowe 15. Kearney, with Fitzgeald on the bench (provided he gets some game time and shows that hes up to it).

So form Irish team after round two is as follows

15 Kearney
14 Bowe
13 Henshaw
12 Marshall
11 Earls
10 Jackson
9 Murray
8 Copeland
7 O'Brien
6 O'Mahony
5 Touhy
4 O'Callaghan
3 Moore
2 Best
1 Healy

16 Varley
17 McGrath
18 Fitzpatrick
19 O'Connell
20 Henry
21 Marmion
22 Sexton
23 Fitzgerald

Only my opinion of course. Will Joe be naming a revised squad in the near future or is he sticking with what he named a few weeks ago?

Latest posts