• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2013 Junior World Championship

From the O'Gara school of tackling ...

Well, maybe not quite that bad..... I agree he does have his issues, but then so did Biggar in his early days, as well as Matthew Morgan, Priestland and Hook. Maybe this shows that too many 10's come through the system shying away from defence?

With regards to Patchell, I personally think the U20's WC will be better for development than going to Japan and playing a couple of tests. The pressure of the WC, along with playing against some very good quality teams (Some are probably stronger than Japan) will show us more.

Argentina will be the main threat in the pool, and Scotland aren't a bad team. I would hope we'll have a little too much for both after a strong 6 nations champaign and the introduction of a few players who weren't involved or had limited involvement in the 6 nations (Patchell, Robinson, Ieuan Jones, Amos). Not being in the same pool as NZ, England, Aus, SA, France and Ireland is big though.

Last edited:
Anyone know what England's side is likely to look like? Have to admit that I'm losing track on who is/isn't in the age range due to the amount of youngsters in the prem these days.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Anyone know what England's side is likely to look like? Have to admit that I'm losing track on who is/isn't in the age range due to the amount of youngsters in the prem these days.

All I know that Bristol 9 Callum Braley has been picked

Forwards

Dom Barrow (Leeds Carnegie)
Jack Clifford (Harlequins)
Joel Conlon (Exeter Chiefs)
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
Matt Hankin (Saracens)
Alec Hepburn (London Wasps)
Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (Northampton Saints)
Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby)
Nathan Morris (London Wasps)
Tom Price (Leicester Tigers)
David Sisi (London Irish)
Tom Smallbone (London Irish)
Scott Spurling (Saracens)
Elliott Stooke (Gloucester Rugby)
Harry Wells (Leicester Tigers)
Scott Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)

Backs

Callum Braley (Bristol Rugby)
Alex Day (Northampton Saints)
Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby)
Sam Hill (Exeter Chiefs)
Will Hooley (Northampton Saints)
Ben Howard (Worcester Warriors)
Mark Jennings (Sale Sharks)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Harry Sloan (Harlequins)
Tom Stephenson (Northampton Saints)
Anthony Watson (London Irish)

Shizzle to look out for interested non-English

Luke Cowan-Dickie and Kyle Sinckler are probably the best forwards. LCD is either a loosie or a hooker, Kyle is either a tighthead prop or a baby seal. Both of them are seriously good in the loose and do the day job well. Jack Clifford is much talked up, he's a fine linking 8, but I have a horrible suspicion he'll not make it. David Sisi is ******* huge, and as such I have good hopes for him. Finally, I have no idea who Smallbone is, but hope he makes it as that's an amazing name.

In the backs the definite unquestionable standouts are Nowell and Watson, both of whom are silly good, and would probably do a better job for the national team than Ashton and Brown. Whether they'll get much quality ball is questionable though, the rest of the backline is individually talented but lacks cohesion.

Sinckler and Watson both pretty much single handedly raped Ireland last year (ok huge exaggeration) so have a lot of respect for them. I'd say Moriarty could expect some shoeing if we play England.

EDIT: Peat Sinckler's not on the list!

Last edited:
Is Luke Cowan-Dickie the one who had silly hair in the U20 6 nations, some silly mullet thing? I'm sure I remember him switching from prop to hooker or vice versa in the final game against Wales. Instantly disliked him because of his hair!

I think he's moving to Hooker because of Corbs, Marler and Vunipola.

That "silly mullet thing" would be a mullet, and he's Cornish so the rules allow it.

That and he could be a little small for the position at the top level. Looks like a pranny, top player though.

Wales did that too.
diapo3156fd1b336ca6fe256e409b1be03b77.gif
haha you can see those young kiwi's have not been corrupted yet

Last year the leveler in the games was Stellenbosch. If the conditions are good I don't see the same surprises happen again. Just sad to seee some Samoan u/20's and some Fiji u/2-'s turning out for NZ and Australia respectively this year

Last year the leveler in the games was Stellenbosch. If the conditions are good I don't see the same surprises happen again. Just sad to seee some Samoan u/20's and some Fiji u/2-'s turning out for NZ and Australia respectively this year

Why? Would you have preferred if they hadn't played for Fiji and Samoa last year? I don't really know what that would achieve? <_<

Why? Would you have preferred if they hadn't played for Fiji and Samoa last year? I don't really know what that would achieve? <_<
Don't be selfish man. It means that Fiji and Samoa are losing their top youngsters.

Forwards

Dom Barrow (Leeds Carnegie)
Jack Clifford (Harlequins)
Joel Conlon (Exeter Chiefs)
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
Matt Hankin (Saracens)
Alec Hepburn (London Wasps)
Danny Hobbs-Awoyemi (Northampton Saints)
Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby)
Nathan Morris (London Wasps)
Tom Price (Leicester Tigers)
David Sisi (London Irish)
Tom Smallbone (London Irish)
Scott Spurling (Saracens)
Elliott Stooke (Gloucester Rugby)
Harry Wells (Leicester Tigers)
Scott Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)

Backs

Callum Braley (Bristol Rugby)
Alex Day (Northampton Saints)
Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby)
Sam Hill (Exeter Chiefs)
Will Hooley (Northampton Saints)
Ben Howard (Worcester Warriors)
Mark Jennings (Sale Sharks)
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Harry Sloan (Harlequins)
Tom Stephenson (Northampton Saints)
Anthony Watson (London Irish)
A lot of familiar names in there from the prem, and great to see Jennings there from Sale.
However I'm astounded that Fowles has been dropped - he's a brilliant scrumhalf, won't be long until he's first choice at Sale. If I had to choose between Jennings and Fowles I'd pick Fowles (partly because Jennings has been out injured pretty much since the u20s Six Nations).

Don't be selfish man. It means that Fiji and Samoa are losing their top youngsters.

You mean the top youngsters who are born, raised, and learnt everything they know about rugby in New Zealand? :rolleyes: These players aren't Fiji and Samoa's top youngsters. They are New Zealand's top youngster who happen to be of Fijian or Samoan heritage. The fact they played for Fiji/Samoa in last seasons U20 tournament does not make them any less Kiwi....

You mean the top youngsters who are born, raised, and learnt everything they know about rugby in New Zealand? :rolleyes: These players aren't Fiji and Samoa's top youngsters. They are New Zealand's top youngster who happen to be of Fijian or Samoan heritage. The fact they played for Fiji/Samoa in last seasons U20 tournament does not make them any less Kiwi....
Their heritage states that the children always belong to their village. Most of them are born in NZ but grew up in Samoa or Fiji with a gran or other family member. The only reason the Kiwi's use them is to get other youngster to play for NZ as role models play a big part of their life. And it still do not explain anything from ripping their best youngsters away and taking them for yourselves. Even if they are born in NZ you took them born in Samoa and Fiji as well. So its really selfish and you should be helping them as a developing rugby nation rather than plundering them. But I suppose if you guys don't do it the French and English would take them.

Latest posts