• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 African Cup (RWCQ) - June 28 to July 6

usausa

Academy Player
Country Flag
Philippines
Club or Nation
Old Blue
Thought we'd get this started. African Cup this year will be held in (surprise) Madagascar. Could be a gamechanger, so could the revamped format this year: round robin!

Teams:
Kenya (2013 Africa Cup A winners)
Zimbabwe (2013 Africa Cup A runners-up)
Madagascar (2013 Africa Cup relegation match winner)
Namibia (promoted from 2013 Africa Cup Group 1B )

Fixtures:
Africa Cup 1A Schedule (Final African qualifier tournament):

----DATE--TIME--MATCHUP--------REFEREE----------------(ASSISTANT REFEREES)---------------------
28-Jun-14 13:00 Kenya v Namibia - Luke Pearce (RFU) - (Francisco Pastrana (UAR), SARU Appointment)
28-Jun-14 15:00 Zimbabwe v Madagascar - Lourens van der Merwe (SARU) - (Francisco Pastrana (UAR), SARU Appointment)
02-Jul-14 13:00 Zimbabwe v Namibia - Francisco Pastrana (UAR) - (Lourens van der Merwe (SARU), SARU Appointment)
02-Jul-14 15:00 Kenya v Madagascar - Luke Pearce (RFU) - (Lourens van der Merwe (SARU), SARU Appointment)
06-Jul-14 13:00 Kenya v Zimbabwe - Lourens van der Merwe (SARU) - (Luke Pearce (RFU), SARU Appointment)
06-Jul-14 15:00 Madagascar v Namibia - Francisco Pastrana (UAR) - (Luke Pearce (RFU), SARU Appointment)

2014 African calendar:
http://www.confederation-africaine-rugby.com/images/competitions 2014.pdf

All sides will be preparing with everything for this!
Kenya, Zimbabwe, Namibia played triangular tournament last year.
Madagascar won the Serendib Cup in Sri Lanka against the hosts and Poland, three matches scheduled in run up vs. a South African team, a French Army team, and another French team
Kenya has a team in Vodacom Cup this year.

Last edited:
Fixtures added to first post, confirms round robin play this year. In addition, for the third straight year, Madagascar will get to host the tournament their participating in. Don't want to speculate anything suspicious, but certainly seems like there is a push for Madagascar to do well or at least get them on the map.

*Could a mod change the dates in ***le too? Should now read June 28 to July 6

Last edited:
The membership is getting VERY impressive in thread starting, ones I'd planned to start I can see members already grabbing themselves!!!

Going to change the ***le as well for you, a very intriuging tournament with Africa 1 still by far the most likely spot to have a new participant at RWC's. Agreed on Madagascar, I guess the IRB are really pushing the higher crowds they have been getting, Zimbabwe is best avoided, Namibia would need pretty much half of Windhoek to show up for as big a crowd, and Kenya I guess is too much of a deveoping market.

The round robin format is ten times better than the simple knockout which led way too much into shock results. Player availability could be key especially for Namibia who will probably need to bring in the old hands from overseas. I can't wait to see their 400 lbs Prop in action again!!!

Video, part 1 of Madagascar-Zimbabwe from last year! Madagascar broadcast!

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting Saturday, matches will be shown live on South African SuperSport 9.

1atv.png

have we ever had a Namibian fan here ? I remember that one cool dude but he was really Ukrainian I believe but only lived there or smt like that...but do they have the internet there ? Like, better than 56k ?

Namibian squad released.....I think we've had one or two pop in over the years Ewis but they haven't stuck around for long, maybe one will pop in before 2015...

Damn can't embed link will try another one...no Burger which is a big letdown but some of the other stalwarts are here like Kitshoff, Kotze, Botha and Du Plessis. It's a decent strength Nambian side though depth is a little weak as always. I would say they are favourites to win but they'll have to take care of buisness.

Backs

Arthur Bouwer
Eneill Buitendag
Justin Nel
Theuns Kotzé
Divan Visser
Steinhoff Dagbreek
Darryl de la Harpe
Johan Tromp
Heinrich Smit
Danie Dames
Johan Deysel
David Philander
Chrysander Botha

Forwards

Rathony Becker
DG Wiese
Jaco Engels
Johnny Redelinghuys
André Schlechter
Shaun du Preez
Morné Blom
Munee Tjiuza
Tinus du Plessis
Rohan Kitshoff
Awi Thompson
Renaldo Bothma
PJ van Lill (c)

Last edited:
It seems that there is no thread for Fiji versus Cook Islands :eek:

Livestream for three matches:
Fiji v Cook Islands - 3pm local time, 3am GMT
Kenya v Namibia - 1pm local time, 10am GMT
Zimbabwe v Madagascar - 3pm local time, 12 midday GMT

http://www.irb.com/live/video.html

Just wacthing Fiji vs. Cook Islands right now, 24-6 for Fiji with a few to go in 1st half, they are definately in control, Cook Islands doing some basics right but clearly the inferior side.

The bigger result is Kenya beating Nambia this morning 29-22, claiming the bonus point in the process, it dosen't knock Namibia out but it puts them in a hole going forward as Zimbabwe have also claimed a try bonus point over Madagascar already. From waht I've seen of the games so far there isn't a lot between Nambia, Kenya and Zimbabwe's level, with Madagascar a little weaker in level though boosted by being at home.

Very promising that there is now proper competition between the African sides - the continuing popularity of rugby in Madagascar is wonderful to see.

Really did not expect Namibia to lose to anyone.

Last edited:
I figured they were strong enough to go 3-0 here but that some of the games would be close, they had a half time lead but took their foot off the pedal. They'll have to win their next two games I would think and can still stay alive for the RWC by finishing 2nd, African repechage team should be a little more competitive this time around as well.

Zimbabwe are starting to turn the screw a bit on Madagascar(who look tremendous in open play but a little weak in the forwards)

Zimbabwe win 57-22 over Madagascar....so the standigns are.....

1. Zimbabwe 5 points +35 diff.
2. Kenya 5 points + 7 diff.
3. Namibia 1 point - 7 diff.
4. Madagascar 0 points -35 diff.

Next round of games goes on Wednesday. Zimbabwe will take on Namibia in a massively important contest while Kenya will look to take care of buisness versus Madagascar.

Zimbabwe win 57-22 over Madagascar....so the standigns are.....

1. Zimbabwe 5 points +35 diff.
2. Kenya 5 points + 7 diff.
3. Namibia 1 point - 7 diff.
4. Madagascar 0 points -35 diff.

Next round of games goes on Wednesday. Zimbabwe will take on Namibia in a massively important contest while Kenya will look to take care of buisness versus Madagascar.

Two more rounds to go right?

Interesting look to the standings, might see a different team qualify as Africa 1 for once! If Zimbabwe beat Namibia then they're pretty much in the drivers seat for qualification? Although Kenya look likely to maybe get a big win vs Madagascar, so even if Namibia do beat Zimbabwe then they should be at the top with 10 points!

Two more rounds to go right?

Interesting look to the standings, might see a different team qualify as Africa 1 for once! If Zimbabwe beat Namibia then they're pretty much in the drivers seat for qualification? Although Kenya look likely to maybe get a big win vs Madagascar, so even if Namibia do beat Zimbabwe then they should be at the top with 10 points!

Yeah Namibia now need help to get the Africa 1 spot, it's possible they need to win their final two games and hope Kenya lose and sneak in on bonus points or point +/-. Madagascar are in huge trouble after a loss of that margin.

Last edited:
Great result by Kenya and really looking forward to Zimbabwe - Namibia!

Much as I love Namibia as a nation I suppose Zimbabwe has the most potential as a rugby nation. If there were any chance of countries being able to recall players with caps for other countries I would support it; it would be amazing to see the likes of Pocock, Beast, Brian Mujati etc jog out for them and have a 2nd competitive African nation.

Much as I love Namibia as a nation I suppose Zimbabwe has the most potential as a rugby nation. If there were any chance of countries being able to recall players with caps for other countries I would support it; it would be amazing to see the likes of Pocock, Beast, Brian Mujati etc jog out for them and have a 2nd competitive African nation.

That's entirely possible with the new olympic qualification rules.
There are a number of Zimbabwe born English players too.

They would be comfortably better than Namibia if they had all of them IMO.

Latest posts