• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 America's Rugby Championship

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
The 2014 America's Rugby Championship is a couple of weeks away and omce again is being hosted at Westhills Stadium, nearby Victoria, British Columbia. The invited teams are once again the same with the Argentina Jaguars, Canada "A", U.S.A. "A" and full Uruguayan national side competing. Argentina has won all five previous editions of the competition, and should be favourites to do so again.

Schedule

All games at Westhills Stadium.

October 11th.

2:30 p.m. U.S.A. vs. Argentina Jaguars
4:30 p.m. Canada vs. Uruguay

October 15th.

6:00 p.m. Argentina Jaguars vs. Uruguay
8:00 p.m. Canada vs. U.S.A.

October 19th

2:30 p.m. Uruguay vs. U.S.A.
4:30 p.m. Argentina Jaguars vs. Canada

Los Jaguares Roster

Matías Cortese, Hooker
Julián Montoya, Hooker
Matías Díaz, Prop
Lucas Martínez, Prop
Lucas Noguera Paz, Prop
Roberto Tejerizo, Prop
Matías Alemanno, Second-row
Juan Cruz Guillemáio, Second-row
Guido Petti, Second-row
Rodrigo Báez, Back-row
Facundo Isa, Back-row
Tomás Lezana, Back-row
Javier Ortega Desio, Back-row
Francisco Panessi, Back-row
Gonzalo Bertranou, Scrum-half
Felipe Ezcurra, Scrum-half
Patricio Fernández, Fly half
Brian Ormson, Fly half
Juan Ignacio Brex, Centre
Joaquín Paz, Centre
Facundo Barrea, Wing
Federico Giménez, Wing
Dan Issak, Wing
Augusto López, Wing
Román Miralles, Fullback
Joaquín Riera, Fullback

So, um, when will Canada's side be officially named? The rumours are out there, but nothing official yet.

So, um, when will Canada's side be officially named? The rumours are out there, but nothing official yet.

Hopefully soon, maybe the staff are taking one last look at the Blues/Rock game from the weekend, and some last minute checks of availability. The 7's side input might be important as well with a few guys being possible for either sides selection.

Hopefully we choose a bit better of a side this year out, last year's team ran a little too far into the developmental side of things and we were ghastly. I'd much rather see a mix of guys that are purely developmental and getting others ready for November.

One thing I just realized is Uruguay is playign Russia on the day of their first match vs. Canada so they'll effectively be Uruguay "A" for that match, expect Canada to romp over Los Teros 2nd string guys. With Los Teros maybe bringing in some reinforcements over the week after the RWCQer.

Jaguars side is pretty good, four guys who've played in TRC, with a few other fringe Pumas. Rest of the side are decent prospects or solid club guys.

After last year's debacle, we most likely are taking this tournament seriously, judging by the rumours of the Pack players that have been picked.

I wonder if their will be a bolter? Last year they flew in Fitzpatrick to by our FB and I thought he went fairly well actually. He is a good prospect for us.

Yep that could get ugly, the full Uruguay side is usually competetive in this event but Uruguay's 2nd XV are likely a big downgrade. Some of their guys might not be available for the mid week game either with slight knocks.

What about Paraguay? It was assumed that they would participate and Uruguay was outside...

What about Paraguay? It was assumed that they would participate and Uruguay was outside...

Uruguay won the CONSUR A tournament and complained to the IRB that they deserved to go to the ARC over Paraguay and next thing you know Uruguay was added and Paraguay was dropped. At least that's a condensed version of what I was told happened.

I'm rather disappointed, I mean I get why Uruguay would want their young guys to get this chance to get smacked around...err I mean compete against some solid competition, but I think Paraguay would most likely field a stronger team than Uruguay will be able to do this year. I mean Uruguay and, specifically, the IRB both knew there was a big chance Uruguay would be competing in the Repechage final so why not give another up-and-coming CONSUR team a chance?

http://usarugby.org/mens-eagles-new...-rugby-championship-set-for-eagles-in-seattle

USA Rugby have announced their training camp roster in Seattle. The lack of California based players surprises me. Seattle Saracens sure seem well represented though. BC Rugby based teams have good representation at camp with the 6 Saracens and Graham Harriman from James Bay AA. NYC has 6 guys(3 Old Blue and 3 NYAC) and 4 from Denver(3 Glendale and 1 Barbarian). Camp runs from October 4th-7th. Article also says Andrew Durutalo and Zach Test will join the team after the Gold Coast 7s are done.

Eagles Select XV | ARC Selection Camp
Nate Augspurger (Old Blue of New York)
Ben Cima (University of Maryland)
John Cullen (Seattle Saracens)
Brian Doyle (New York Athletic Club)
Andrew Durutalo (Men's Eagles Sevens)
Zach Fenoglio (Glendale Raptors)
Lemoto Filikitonga (Metropolis Rugby Football Club)
Troy Hall (New York Athletic Club)
Graham Harriman (James Bay Rugby Football Club)
Justin Hundley (New York Athletic Club)
Olive Kilifi (Seattle Saracens)
Chad London (Glendale Raptors)
Angus MacLellan (Davenport University)
Tim Maupin (Trinity College)
Ben Pinkelman (Denver Barbarians/Colorado State University)
Chris Saint (Houston Athletic Rugby Club)
Adam Siddall (Old Blue of New York)
Louis Stanfill (Seattle Saracens)
Tim Stanfill (Seattle Saracens)
Kyle Sumsion (Brigham Young University)
Andrew Suniula (Old Blue of New York)
Shalom Suniula (Seattle Saracens)
Ben Tarr
Zach Test (Men's Eagles Sevens)
Phil Thiel (Life Rugby)
Matt Trouville (Seattle Saracens)
Nick Wallace (Glendale Raptors)

Last edited:
Uruguay won the CONSUR A tournament and complained to the IRB that they deserved to go to the ARC over Paraguay and next thing you know Uruguay was added and Paraguay was dropped. At least that's a condensed version of what I was told happened.

I'm rather disappointed, I mean I get why Uruguay would want their young guys to get this chance to get smacked around...err I mean compete against some solid competition, but I think Paraguay would most likely field a stronger team than Uruguay will be able to do this year. I mean Uruguay and, specifically, the IRB both knew there was a big chance Uruguay would be competing in the Repechage final so why not give another up-and-coming CONSUR team a chance?

Last I heard was that Paraguay was chosen, I'm surprised but certainly Uruguay has biggest sporting merit.

In addition, Uruguay A is more competitive than the best Paraguay's team, undoubtedly. Nevertheless, it's assumed that Uruguay A will lose all their games by 50 points :p

Canadian side announced, don't have much time to comment just aside from the fact we are taking this year's ARC a lot more seriously than last. It's a reasonably strong side.

Canada "A"

Kyle Baillie, (Edmonton Druids/Atlantic Rock) Charlottetown, PEI

Ray Barkwill, (Niagara Wasps RFC/Ontario Blues) Niagara Falls, ON

Nick Blevins, (James Bay AA/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

Admir Cejvanovic (Burnaby Lake RFC/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC

Andrew Coe, (Markham Irish/Ontario Blues) Markham, ON

Nanyak Dala (Castaway Wanderers/Prairie Wolf Pack) Regina, SK

Derek Daypuck, (London St. George's/Ontario Blues) London, ON

Tom Dolezel, (London St. George's/Ontario Blues) London, ON

Guiseppe Du Toit, (Uvic Vikes) Maple Ridge, BC

Sean Ferguson, (UBC Thunderbirds/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC

Aaron Flagg, (Abbotsford RFC/BC Bears) Abbotsford, BC

Kyle Gilmour, Captain (Saint Albert RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) Saint Albert, AB

Ryan Hamilton, (Capilano RFC/BC Bears) Vancouver, BC

Pete Houlihan, (Edmonton Druids/Prairie Wolf Pack) Edmonton, AB

Pat Kay, (UVIC Vikes/BC Bears) Duncan, BC

Jamie Mackenzie, (UVIC Vikes/Ontario Blues) Oakville, ON

Gordon McRorie, (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

Dan Moor, (Balmy Beach RFC/Ontario Blues) Toronto, ON

Callum Morrison, (UBCOC Ravens/BC Bears) Victoria, BC

Evan Olmstead, (Parramatta Two Blues/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

Clay Panga, (Calgary Hornets/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

Patrick Parfrey, (Swilers RFC/Atlantic Rock) St. Johns, NL

Seb Pearson, (London St. George's/Ontario Blues) London, ON

James Smith, (Shoalhaven RFC/Prairie Wolf Pack) Calgary, AB

Doug Wooldridge, (Lindsay RFC/Ontario Blues) Lindsay, ON

That's a pretty good lineup for Canada. Should even give the Jaguars a real fight for their money. Should be interested to see the lineups Crowley uses.

Only thing that bugs me is that they have Baillie and Houlihan listed as from the Edmonton Druids. They are the Strathcona Druids and definitely not Edmonton despite being right beside us. Stupid Sherwood Park.

Last edited:
Holy crap.

Derek. Daypuck.

Does anyone know what happened to Kleeberger? I thought he would have been included. Another injury?

A 36 year old from the Suggitt era. Bizarre, bizarre selection. Thought he had retired to be honest.

Daypuck had a great CRC campaign so I'm not surprised by his addition. He only finished 3 points off of McRorie. They probably have him as insurance in case Pat Kay falters?

Kleeberger days with the National team are most likely done. He played well in the first Bears/Wolf Pack game this year and then didn't play again. Not sure what happened there. I think he's been living off the reputation he built at the 2011 RWC over the last year and a bit. Dala has been better than him lately, Panga and Cejvanovic are pretty dang solid and Gilmour has #7 locked down.

I'm still really disappointed Graham Turner didn't get a call up. I thought he performed well enough to get a chance.

Overall I don't mind the squad, I would have liked to see Turner in it as well. I think Daypuck is in as a 'thanks for your service' type deal. Hamilton and Flagg are in based on past service to RC.

I wonder if Daypuck is in the side as he can fill in at FH in a pinch as well. After last year's ARC debacle of having a 12th string(possibly even weaker) Fly Half playing for Canada at times it really dragged down the performance of the whole team. Not that Daypuck will be some kind of revelation here but he is at least competent.

Though Kyne might have snuck in the team based on form, another odd note is we announced a 26 person side but there are only 25 names here. Maybe someone has to clear a medical or clear up there work/school commitments before the team is made entirely official.

Uruguayan Squad announced as we suspected it's a weaker side due to players being involved in the RWCQ's vs. Russia.

There are a few fringe players who will almost certainly make the extended Los Teros RWC squad(should they qualify) and a few under 20's along with some lesser club players. Can't see them being much of a challenge though.

Agustín Alonso, Matias Arocena, Fernando Bascou, Matias Beer, Manuel Blengio, Rodrigo Bocking, Francisco Bulanti, Manuel Castro, Rodolfo de Mula, Pedro Dolsan (URÚ CURÉ), Ignacio Dotti, Juan Etcheverria, Tomas Etcheverry, Federico Favaro, Nicolas Freitas, Francisco Jimenez, German Kessler, Guillermo Lijstenstein, Mateo Sanguinetti, Lucas Scarnati (SIC), Rodrigo Silva and Gonzalo Soto.

Anyone know where McCann went anyway? Always thought he was a solid 10,12 or 15 prospect for us.

Latest posts