• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Asian Five Nations (RWCQ)

Hong Kong this year have proven themselves number 2. They have some athletes training full-time now in HK which helps in addition to training together twice a week. South Korea I think has always had to base their play on fantastic individuals/pros whereas Hong Kong have strived to play as a unit. Hong Kong have good backline play built off good set piece play, very structured. I think in the wide department they could edge Uruguay but I think the Teros forward pack will be too much for Hong Kong to overcome. To be fair though, I think if any A5N team (outside Japan) could give Uruguay a good run I think it's Hong Kong. It'll definitely be an interesting match if that's what it turns out to be.

Just saying Japan is very experienced side to go on to the World Cup next year, given they went on tour to Scotland during the autumn internationals and they beat wales in the summer series last year. Hong Kong has been emerging strong in these few years but they lack international tests experiences. A key factor is also that the domestic league in Hong Kong has not yet been as good as in japan. Well over the years, we can see super stars joining the Japanese teams like SBW, JP Peterson, A.Tuilagi and Berrick Barnes. From my view, Hong Kong needs to pour more resources into the domestic league in order to get a strong XV team

Decisive RWC2015 qualifier between Japan & Hong Kong streamed LIVE this Sat 9:00am BST (5pm JST) on http://rugbyworldcup.com

The Tokyo's National Stadium will then be demolished to make way for a new state of the art arena that will make its debut at Rugby World Cup 2019.

The winner will join South Africa, Samoa, Scotland and USA in Pool B.

Tokyo is also the first stop for the Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour, which kicks off on 20 May and will touch down in 15 countries around the world over the next 12 months.

Nice

The match would be held on Sunday though.

Last edited:
As Hinato posted in the Japan thread, Hong Kong head coach Leigh Jones has been offered and accepted the role of Japan's defence coach under Eddie Jones. Jones has coached Hong Kong since 2011 and has built the program up to Asia's undisputed #2 nation. He informed the squad before this season's Asian 5 Nations campaign got under way. Hong Kong's defence this season has proven to be nearly impenetrable this campaign, allowing only one try the entire competition (at full-time to Sri Lanka on the road). His final game in charge will be this weekend against Japan. One wonders why this information was released at this time, instead of after the competition. The most likely caretakers for the team in the interim could be current Hong Kong technical director and head of performance Dai Rees and assistant coaches Andrew Hall and Sim Pinder. Leigh Jones' previous coaching experience includes Ebbw Vale, Newport, Dragons, Wales A and Wales.

Leigh Jones said:
My time in Hong Kong has been amongst the most rewarding in my career and I thank the Union and the community for the support they have given me. It has been an incredible opportunity to work alongside some very special people and together we have achieved much.

But I am also very mindful of the fact that I have one more job to fulfill with Hong Kong on Sunday in Japan. I have always maintained that this is a unique group of players and coaches. We have already made history together by qualifying for the Rugby World Cup repechage and I can think of nothing sweeter than to part with what would be an historic victory.

At the same time, I am excited to pursue this fantastic opportunity with the Japan Rugby Football Union and I look forward to working with Eddie Jones and the team.
I am especially pleased that this new chapter in my professional career will enable me to maintain the link with Asian rugby and monitor the progress of Hong Kong rugby. I wish the Hong Kong Rugby Football Union the greatest success across every level of the game"

Dai Rees said:
It is a big loss for Hong Kong in a way, but also a great opportunity for Leigh and one that is well deserved. Leigh has been an important part of our growth in our performance development since 2010 and has left a strong footprint on the local game.

It is a testament to both the HKRFU and Leigh that Japan Director of Rugby Eddie Jones has approached Leigh for the position at the JRFU. Leigh approached us and we asked him to remain on board to help prepare us for this year's Asian 5 Nations. Typically for Leigh, he extended his contract for an additional two months to see us through this year's competition.

Leigh's commitment to the task at hand has left us in a strong place in our succession planning, particularly in his role in developing our existing coaching resources. His support has left us in a strong position to be able to either qualify outright for the Rugby World Cup or proceed to the advanced stages of Rugby World Cup qualification.

It is a blow but it is also a great recognition for the strength of Hong Kong Rugby with Eddie Jones obviously recognizing Leigh's quality. In that way it is a positive recognition of what we are achieving on the ground in Hong Kong and will help further shine a spotlight on the HKRFU globally and ideally attract more and more players and coaches to the territory.

http://www.hkrugby.com/eng/news/4154.php
http://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/art...s-still-loyal-hong-kong-despite-new-job-japan

Just saying Japan is very experienced side to go on to the World Cup next year, given they went on tour to Scotland during the autumn internationals and they beat wales in the summer series last year. Hong Kong has been emerging strong in these few years but they lack international tests experiences. A key factor is also that the domestic league in Hong Kong has not yet been as good as in japan. Well over the years, we can see super stars joining the Japanese teams like SBW, JP Peterson, A.Tuilagi and Berrick Barnes. From my view, Hong Kong needs to pour more resources into the domestic league in order to get a strong XV team

How about Hong Kong entering a team into the Top League?

How about Hong Kong entering a team into the Top League?

Well that could work, joining the Japanese league could be a yes but I don't reckon it. There is a rumour the super rugby is expanding and considering to get some teams from asia.....

Well that could work, joining the Japanese league could be a yes but I don't reckon it. There is a rumour the super rugby is expanding and considering to get some teams from asia.....
Japan has invited Hong Kong to set up a professional team to join with support of head of performance, Dai Rees.
However, the chairman of HKRFU Trevor Gregory rejected the idea.
Trevor Gregory said:
We have a small player base and fielding a franchise in the Japan Top League, while sounding good, is a bridge too far.

http://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/fifteens/article/1225455/hong-kong-urged-field-team-japans-top-league

For the Super Rugby expansion into Hong Kong, Trevor Gregory and HKRFU chief executive Vern Reid were disapproval.
Trevor Gregory said:
I'm stepping down as chairman of Hong Kong in a couple of months, I wouldn't think that the new board have an appetite to risk the hard-earned money that has taken us 60 years to accumulate on a long shot, which is clearly what it is for us right now.
Vern Reid said:
We have had a look at it and knowing the costs, we are not ready to do that. We would be better to invest that money in the development of our own players and our own game.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/22/rugby-super-asia-idUKL3N0O82AZ20140522

Bakakumon,

I'm aware that Gregory has rejected the idea in the past. But it's pretty unambitious from him. Perhaps the new chairman will be a bit more ambitious. Having a HK, and perhaps a Seoul, team in the Top League might be the deciding factor for whether or not the IRB awards Asia a spot in addition to Japan in 2019.

Andy Hall handed key role for Hong Kong’s crunch game in Uruguay

Andy Hall will take over as head coach of Hong Kong as they chart new waters and play in their first-ever World Cup repêchage match against Uruguay in August.

Hong Kong Cricket Club coach Hall will replace Leigh Jones, who has joined Japan.

Jones, who was in charge for the last three years, was officially appointed defence coach of the Brave Blossoms on Monday, the day after Hong Kong slipped to a 49-8 defeat in the Tokyo finale to the 2014 ARFU Asian Five Nations.

"Andy will move into the slot and will be coach in the short term," said Dai Rees, the Hong Kong Rugby Football Union's head of technical development and performance.

"We will not be looking at appointing anyone new as we have a very short time frame before our key game against Uruguay," Rees added.

"Nothing will change in the short term. Our World Cup dream is still alive and we will go to Uruguay feeling confident. The players will take a few weeks off to rest and we will all come back as a squad in July when training will begin in earnest again," Rees said.

http://www.scmp.com/sport/rugby/article/1520111/andy-hall-handed-key-role-hong-kongs-crunch-game-uruguay
Search for overseas coach takes time

Best prop at my school was either born in Sri Lanka or his parents were - he went there to try out for the rugby team at one point - got nowhere cos he wasn't big enough. Not surprising, as he wasn't that big (grew early, everyone else caught up) but if there were bigger versions of him out there, they must be tidy players...

Ceylon/ Sri Lanka is the first nation to take up the game outside Europe..

Sri Lanka discovered the game of rugby at the same time as India, But the game thrived on the island because the locals took to it unlike in India where it was exclusively played by British and Anzac colonists and nearly died after independence

The first rugby club in Ceylon, The Colombo Football Club, was founded in 1879. The first rugby match played between two selected teams occurred on the 30th of June of that year between Colombo and a 'World' Team. The nation's first 'national' match involved an All Ceylon team against the All Blacks.

In the post-WWII period, S. Muthiah campaigned for the sports introduction into the national police service.

The 1930 and the 1950 British Lions tour to New Zealand and Australia, also played unofficial matches in Ceylon on their way home.

Despite not performing well on the international stage, Sri Lanka is sometimes considered one of the rugby's success stories, with crowds of forty or fifty thousand turning out for club games.

Sri Lanka's problems have been threefold - firstly, a lack of finance, secondly, third world infrastructure, and thirdly, the country has been war torn for a number of years.

And the sheer lack of physical size compared to European and Polynesian sides

Notable Sri Lankan players include Len Saverimutto, who is the father of scrum half Christian Saverimutto, who was capped three times for Ireland in the 1995-6 season

Registered players 121,938(total)
Clubs 105

1024px-Sri_Lanka_National_Rugby_Union_Team_%28A5N_20140510%29.jpeg

http://www.irb.com/unions/union=11000018/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_union_in_Sri_Lanka

Last edited:

Latest posts