• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Asian Five Nations (RWCQ)

Philippines name team for Japan:

1. Robinson-Polkey, David Paz
2. Dacanay, Austin Garnica (Vice Captain)
3. Sinclair, Philip
4. Feeney, David
5. Howorth, Stephen Pagtalunan
6. Anderson, Christopher
7. Bweheni, Timothy
8. Bennetts, Samuel Tuplias
9. Letts, Jake Robrigado
10. Saunders, Oliver Abalos (Captain)
11. Stern, Kenneth Capinpin
12. Coveney, Justin Villazor
13. Saunders, Matthew Abalos
14. Morris, Harry Dionson
15. Aronson, Alexander Norona
16. Power, Glenn Morados (FR)
17. Mitra, Fergus (FR)
18. Melrose, Daniel Apale (FR)
19. Heward, Ashley Matias
20. Seeto, Darran Centillas
21. Gomez, Cleo Ferrer
22. Atandi, Evans
23. Hamilton, John Nebrija

http://www.prfu.com/1/post/2014/05/ph-volcanoes-team-named-for-a5n-match-vs-japan.html#.U2PROvldW8B

-7 Tim Bweheni makes his first cap for the Volcano 15s (Volcano #105). He's been a talent on the 7s squad and played matches against HK 'A'. I believe he used to be a wing so openside is an interesting position to see him, I've seen some wings move to the pack before with good results because these guys can cover a lot of ground. Unfortunately, for the forward pack, if you thought they had issues last week well they're gonna in even deeper waters Saturday.
-Scrumhalf Jake Letts will extend his caps record to 21 caps (all consecutive) out of 22 Volcano tests. Prop/hooker Austin Dacanay right behind with his 20th cap tomorrow.
-Flyhalf Oli Saunders was on trial with Saracens, don't know he's still in their sights or not. 11 Harry Morris makes first 15s appearance since 2010, has played tons of 7s for Volcanoes. He has either 7 or 8 caps, missing a team sheet from a game. Rest of backline is same. It is a very good backline, if they can get clean, quick ball. I know Eddie Jones is very respectful of their backline.
-Evan Atandi (2011 U18 Volcanoes head coach) if he gets on would make his first cap, as would John Hamilton, become Volcano numbers 106 and 107.

After Japan, the Philippines get some key players available for the last two "targeted' matches. Guys like Phil Abraham (9 caps, plays hooker but can loosehead prop), Matt Bellenie (7 caps, 1 try, tighthead prop), Michael Duhig (15 caps, hooker), Chris Hitch (9 caps, 2 tries, plays anywhere in backrow, best loose forward for Volcanoes), Mike Letts (18 caps, all starts, 6 tries, captain, fullback), and Patrice Olivier (8 caps, 4 tries, center/wing). All of these guys would warrant a spot in the match day 23, all could earn a spot in the starting XV.

Live stream for Sri Lanka at Hong Kong with a handy countdown clock...nice that it's at a reasonable 9am for me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sri Lanka v Hong Kong preview

Japan 99-10 Philippines (45-10 HT)

JPN: 15T, 12C
PHI: 1T, 1C, 1P

Philippines had a 10-7 lead after 5 mins when Matt Saunders scored off an intercept.

JAPAN
Try: Tui (01', 11'), Hopgood (18', 41'), Fujita (20', 39', 57'), Goromaru (27'), Matsushima (36', 47'), Nagae (55'), Uchida (66'), Horie (70'), Kizu (73') et Ives (78')
Conversion: Goromaru (01', 12', 19', 21', 37', 42', 48', 56', 58', 67', 71', 74')

PHILIPPINES
Try: M. Saunders (04')
Conversion: O. Saunders (05')
Penalty: O. Saunders (03')

Hong Kong 41-10 Sri Lanka in what can only be classified as a terrible performance from Hong Kong and a great spirited effort from Sri Lanka that was rewarded with a converted try at 80mins when the scored from a set move off a scrum.

Hong Kong 41-10 Sri Lanka in what can only be classified as a terrible performance from Hong Kong and a great spirited effort from Sri Lanka that was rewarded with a converted try at 80mins when the scored from a set move off a scrum.

slippery hands and poor passing
review their performances and wait for south korea next week :)

I can only imagine how hard training will be in the week leading up, Leigh Jones was not at all happy, borderline ****** off in the post match interview and I don't blame him. As he said, they play like that again and they'll take 2 L's.

Full match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk_DNz8vNG8

Highlights:

In Colombo, poor handling left Hong Kong ruing a number of missed opportunities leaving head coach Leigh Jones frustrated as he contemplates next week’s weighty challenge of taking on South Korea at home.

"Our set piece won’t win us the game next week. It has got us out of trouble for the past two weeks but we need to raise our performance levels in a number of areas,†Jones warned.

“Sri Lanka won the battle of the contact area and stopped us playing. All credit to them,†Jones said. “Sri Lanka won the second half because they won the breakdown.â€

The home team suffered a blow even before kick-off after its bid to field three Fijians came unstuck after team management failed to provide all the documentation needed to prove the players qualified under the IRB’s grandparent ruling.

“It doesn’t mean they are not eligible, it is just that they did not have all the paperwork in order. If they can get that right, they can make an official request for eligibility for the rest of Sri Lanka’s matches,†said an Asian Rugby Football Union spokesman.

Highlights from the Japan at Philippines:

South Korea at Hong Kong will be streamed here:

Hong Kong squad:

1. Leon Wei, Hon Sum 2. Thomas Bolland 3. James Cooper 4. Jack Delaforce 5. Paul Dwyer 6. Nicholas Hewson (captain) 7. Matthew Lamming 8. Pale Tauti 9. Peter McKee 10. Chris McAdam 11. Salom Yiu Kam Shing 12. Jake Phelps 13. Lloyd Jones. 14. Rowan Varty 15. Alex McQueen.

Replacements: 16. Alex Ng, Wai Shing 17. Stephen Nolan 18. Alex Harris 19. Bill Brant 20. James Hood 21. Nicholas Wheatley 22. Thomas McQueen

South Korea Team:

1. KIM, Kwang Sik (captain), 2. KIM, Jeep 3. PARK, Jong Yeol, 4. KIM, Ho Bum, 5. YOUN, Kwon Woo, 6. PARK, Soon Chai, 7. KIM, Jeong Min, 8. LEE, Kwang Moon, 9. YANG, Young Hun, 10. OH, Youn Hyung, 11. KIM, Gwong Min, 12. PARK, No Hoon, 13. KIM, Nam Uk, 14. KIM, Won Yong, 15. JEONG, Yeon Sik.

Replacements: 16. SON, Young Ki, 17. SHIN, Dong Won, 18. KIM, Sung Hwan 19. SONG, Byeong Ho, 20. KIM, Hyun Soo, 21. SHIN, Ki Cheol, 22. JANG, Seong Min, 23. LEE, Eu Dum.

Last edited:
“If we pass the test, we would be setting a milestone in Hong Kong history by being the first team to advance to the latter stages of World Cup qualification. It is perhaps the single largest or most important game we have played in 15s in Hong Kong,†Leigh Jones said.

“If Hong Kong again lose the break down area, we face the danger of seeing our repêchage dreams being wiped away.The Koreans are very proud of the way they scrum. It is one of their strong points.â€

“Our forwards have been very evident in the early weeks but I think we will have to rely on more of a ‘whole team’ effort for this game. Primary possession will be much more evenly shared and therefore our backs will need to help in terms of their overall defensive effort and making things happen when they get the ball.â€

Four of the South Korean pack play rugby professionally in Japan.

wow, shht. First time I see a Live YouTube vid, didn't know they existed !...nice.
bakakumon, are you really a Hong Kong native or just living there atm ?

Thanks for all the vids posted here, some fascinating stuff. As condescending as it may sound, it's amazing to see Sri-Lankese ppl talk Rugby ! It's just so exciting to see nations we'd never suspect talk and play Rugby. Excellent thread, shoulda come here long ago...

wow, shht. First time I see a Live YouTube vid, didn't know they existed !...nice.

Thanks for all the vids posted here, some fascinating stuff. As condescending as it may sound, it's amazing to see Sri-Lankese ppl talk Rugby ! It's just so exciting to see nations we'd never suspect talk and play Rugby. Excellent thread, shoulda come here long ago...
native, haha :D
heard that Ben Gollings from England sevens came to Sri Lanka for training
but he left after a year

Hong Kong came from behind!
symbolic match with around 3000 spectators :)

Best prop at my school was either born in Sri Lanka or his parents were - he went there to try out for the rugby team at one point - got nowhere cos he wasn't big enough. Not surprising, as he wasn't that big (grew early, everyone else caught up) but if there were bigger versions of him out there, they must be tidy players...

Well it looks like Hong Kong is very well placed to be the repechage qualifier our of Asia, and Sri Lanka has been officially eliminated from 2015 contention with todays results..

Japan 62-5 win in Korea, guarantee themselves a Top 2 finish, eliminates South Korea and Philippines. Hong Kong at Japan next week to decide who gets the automatic qualifier and repechage spot.

Philippines 26-25 win in Sri Lanka, try on the last play of game to Jake Letts, conversion was missed by Alex Aronson but the referee awarded a re-kick (looked like possible early charge down), Aronson nailed the second attempt to put the Philippines over. That last try gave the Philippines the 4-try bonus too, putting them even on table points with Korea.

Next week:
Hong Kong at Japan - decides who is Asia 1 in RWC, and who has to go through repechage
South Korea at Philippines - decides who stays in next years "Top 3" and who will bump down to Division 1.

Good to see the last round has some meaning, though I would predict decent size victories by both Japan and South Korea. Hong Kong looked to have really supplanted South Korea as the number two country in Asian rugby. I wonder what kind of challenge they'll pose to Uruguay, two opposite game styles colliding in the repechage round(should everything next week go to form).

Latest posts