• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] Fiji

Not being funny, but I genuinely can't think of a Fijian player who would make the ABs or the Boks...

Not being funny, but I genuinely can't think of a Fijian player who would make the ABs or the Boks...

What about Vidiri, Rokocoko, Sivivatu?

I know your responding to hubristic post above, but surely you can acknowledge in terms of quantity of quality, Fiji is up there as having possibly one of the best talent pools in the world for that specific position. There are plenty of better teams who could find a place in their squad for a player like Goneva or Talebula. Problem is that's their only position they produce any world class talent consistently.

What about Vidiri, Rokocoko, Sivivatu?

I know your responding to hubristic post above, but surely you can acknowledge in terms of quantity of quality, Fiji is up there as having possibly one of the best talent pools in the world for that specific position. There are plenty of better teams who could find a place in their squad for a player like Goneva or Talebula. Problem is that's their only position they produce any world class talent consistently.

They aren't Fijian, they're kiwis ;). I was referring to current players. No one loves Rokocoko like I do.

To be honest, I love Fijian wingers. As I said - many of my favourite wingers have been Fijian. It's just I don't believe Fiji currently has five or six of the top 10 wingers in the world. In New Zealand's case, it looks like we may stuggle to fit Hosea Gear in to our squad...who of Julian Savea, Hosea Gear, Charles Piatau or Ben Smith would you say should be replaced. Even Cory Jane is probably one of the most skilled wingers in the world, even if he is getting on in years.

Hosea Gear whilst in Toulouse wasn't the fastest winger because another Fijian was Timoci Matanavou who didn't even make the non travelling reserve for the Fiji team. Charles Piatau like Savea has no pace, when he was playing sevens he was consistently caught and burned by the Fiji sevens forwards let alone the wingers. Ben Smith played against Fiji in 2011 and he was ordinary even the Fiji backrow matched him for pace. I remember one of Fiji's tries where one of the backrow for Fiji took the ball and ran, I remember how the All Blacks backs were struggling to keep up and I was thinking gosh Fijian players are mega fast. As for Cory Jane I remeber him being run over by a Fijian centre who was playing wing for the stormers, Naqelevuki.

They aren't Fijian, they're kiwis ;). I was referring to current players. No one loves Rokocoko like I do.

To be honest, I love Fijian wingers. As I said - many of my favourite wingers have been Fijian. It's just I don't believe Fiji currently has five or six of the top 10 wingers in the world. In New Zealand's case, it looks like we may stuggle to fit Hosea Gear in to our squad...who of Julian Savea, Hosea Gear, Charles Piatau or Ben Smith would you say should be replaced. Even Cory Jane is probably one of the most skilled wingers in the world, even if he is getting on in years.

So Vidiri who played for Fiji before being selected for NZ is a kiwi and Sivivvatu who played for the Pacific Islanders because he was a Fijian who then got slected for NZ is a Kiwi? I bet you would have loved to have Caucau and Vunibaka too ey...lol..well lets swap you give us your second choice props and locks and we'll give you a few of our wingers ey lol...

Anyways I was playing with you bro. The current All Blacks wingers are good. Savea has the 11 spot sealed and stamped. 14 I wouldn't mind trying Gear there. I like my wings to have one who is powerful and one fast. Savea power and Gear fast. Like for Fiji I'll have Nalaga at 11 for power and Ratini at 14 for speed. Fast and furious like our sevens team is how I like it...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Hosea Gear whilst in Toulouse wasn't the fastest winger because another Fijian was Timoci Matanavou who didn't even make the non travelling reserve for the Fiji team. Charles Piatau like Savea has no pace, when he was playing sevens he was consistently caught and burned by the Fiji sevens forwards let alone the wingers. Ben Smith played against Fiji in 2011 and he was ordinary even the Fiji backrow matched him for pace. I remember one of Fiji's tries where one of the backrow for Fiji took the ball and ran, I remember how the All Blacks backs were struggling to keep up and I was thinking gosh Fijian players are mega fast. As for Cory Jane I remeber him being run over by a Fijian centre who was playing wing for the stormers, Naqelevuki.

Savea is fast. He may not be Habana, but he has genuine pace. He would clearly be the quickest outside back in the current ABs squad; Barrett is probably the only one in the squad that may match him for pace. He is clearly faster than Gear IMO. Piutau isn't exactly slow either - I would rate him as having the same sort of pace as Gear (more than quick enough for test rugby!).

If playing wing was solely about running fast Fiji would certainly have a handful of wings in the 'top 10 in the world', though the best wing in the world would be from the USA ;) However there is far more to playing on the wing than running fast.....

I'm not saying being a wing is about being solely fast but it is a primary criteria that you are. Like how a props criteria is to scrum first. Piutau isn't fast bro. Go watch a few of his sevens game and you'll see what I mean. Anyways if you say wings ain't all about speed then how come you rate Habana? The whole rugby world knows Habana is all speed. Even after 100 international caps he still haven't changed that much.

I'm not saying being a wing is about being solely fast but it is a primary criteria that you are. Like how a props criteria is to scrum first. Piutau isn't fast bro. Go watch a few of his sevens game and you'll see what I mean. Anyways if you say wings ain't all about speed then how come you rate Habana? The whole rugby world knows Habana is all speed. Even after 100 international caps he still haven't changed that much.

I like what you've been saying man. It's definitely true Habana has been all speed his entire career and hasn't changed that a whole lot. Add the odd chip n chase and little improvements in his game here and there, but that's it. No stepping or much subtlety.

Habana kinds of reminds me of Bobo. Just pure speed. They both only know direct there's no flirting about.

For heavens sake rucking is the key part of any wingers game.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Absolutely especially in sevens where there's less players and that's where most Fijian wingers learn their trade. ;)

was just checking out some Top 14 stats just now. So guess who leads the league in tries scored ? Yep, Ratini. But here's the interesting part: how many has he got in just 8 matches so far ? Two of those matches he didn't score, but he did get the one hattrick.

Any other Fijian winger in the top 10?

Just checked it myself. Top try scorers current top 2 are Ratini and Masilevu. Both Fijian wingers with ex sevens pedigree. In the top 15 try scoring lists there's:

Ratini
Masilevu
Talebula
Bobo
Rokocoko

Oopps just realised didn't edit my posts. Apologies to the moderator and admin. I'll do it next time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matawalu and talebula definitely would have. If matawalu was with the ab's he'd be the best halfback in the world, esp if he had come up through the ab's development. Waqaniburotu and qera could have too. As for the boks come on a lot of average players have made the boks over the years

But then again you could say this about any team. Who from Australia, South Africa, France, England etc would replace current ab players

Last edited:
Apparently Nadolo has an ankle injury so he's gonna miss the game against France. I think nadolo has been playing non stop rugby since 2012 the guy needs a break

Latest posts