iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
Fiji.png
i Thought i'd try doing the 2014 EOYT for fiji because i like fiji and i have plenty to talk about. Fiji recently just appointed John McKee (the former connacht coach and was also the Pacific Isles and Australia's under 20's assistant coach) as they're new coach. The squad has already been announced and there is possibility for a first cap for Taniela Koroi (Prop), Nemia Soqeta (Lock), Alipate Ratini (Winger) and Samisoni Viriviri (Winger) if required and Akapusi Qera has been announced as Fiji's Captain.

But this is Fiji's 30-man squad for this years test are this: Note: * = reserve players that would be called up if a replacement is required

Hookers: Sunia Koto* (Narbonne), Peni Ravai (Greater Sydney Rams), Talemaitoga Tuapati (Southland), Viliame Veikoso (Suva)
Props: Lee-Roy Atalifo* (Suva), Isei Colati (Nevers), Taniela Koroi (Wellington), Campese Ma'afu (Nottingham), Manasa Saulo (Suva), Jerry Yanuyanutawa (Glasgow Warriors)
Locks: Tevita Cavubati (Tasman), Leone Nakarawa (Glasgow Warriors), Apisalome Ratuniyarawa (Agen), Nemia Soqeta (Biarritz Olympique)
Backrow's: Akapusi Qera (Montpellier), Malakai Ravulo (Farul Constanţa), Dominiko Waqaniburotu (Brive), Masi Matadigo (Lyon), Nemani Nagusa (Tasman)
Scrum-Half's: Nemia Kenatale (Farul Constanţa), Nikola Matawalu (Glasgow Warriors), Henry Seniloli (Benetton Treviso)
Fly-Half's: Josh Matavesi (Ospreys), Jonetani Ralulu (Farul Constanţa)
Centre's: Vereniki Goneva (Leicester Tigers), Nemani Nadolo (NEC Green Rockets/Crusaders)
Back Line: Asaeli Tikoirotuma (Harlequins), Timoci Nagusa (Montpellier), Waisea Nayacalevu* (Stade Français), Alipate Ratini (Grenoble), Samisoni Viriviri* (Montpellier), Watisoni Votu (Perpignan), Levani Botia (La Rochelle), Metuisela Talebula (Bordeaux)

And This is what the fixture list for the tests in November:
France vs Fiji
8 November 2014
17:45 CET (UTC+1)
Stade Vélodrome, Marseille, France

Wales vs Fiji
15 November 2014
14:30 WET (UTC+0)
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, Wales

Fiji vs USA
21 November 2014
19:00 CET (UTC+1)
Stade de la Rabine, Vannes, France​

Because you bothered to spend your time making this thread I will put some input in.
Fiji have some pretty decent props in Ma'Afu and Yanuyanutawa and in the locks Nakarawa is a good operator with ball in hand. Qera and Matadigo would push for places in most squads around the world, but in the backs you see the real talent. 9.Matawalu, 12.Goneva, 13.Nadolo, 11.Nagusa, 14.Tikoirotuma, 15.Talebula is very useful but they lack a fly half of serious quality in there and maybe Bai would have been a good choice. I think they will proobably lose all their games but the USA match will be a very tight tustle. They could always upset France but they always seem more ready for the Autumn internationals than the 6 nations.

Because you bothered to spend your time making this thread I will put some input in.
Fiji have some pretty decent props in Ma'Afu and Yanuyanutawa and in the locks Nakarawa is a good operator with ball in hand. Qera and Matadigo would push for places in most squads around the world, but in the backs you see the real talent. 9.Matawalu, 12.Goneva, 13.Nadolo, 11.Nagusa, 14.Tikoirotuma, 15.Talebula is very useful but they lack a fly half of serious quality in there and maybe Bai would have been a good choice. I think they will proobably lose all their games but the USA match will be a very tight tustle. They could always upset France but they always seem more ready for the Autumn internationals than the 6 nations.
haha, cheers mate its just i saw that they are prepared for the autumn test so i thought i'd may aswell. but Josh Matavesi did well for the ospreys atm and he is young but he play's at inside centre for the ospreys, get a good 10 and yeah Fiji will be a very good team in general.

loose against USA? When USA beat them for the last time?

Last edited:
loose against USA? When USA beat them for the last time?
I'm guessing that Fiji wont have all their best players available, probably by clubs telling them to withdraw, and that the USA team has steadily got better over the years. In the scrum 4.Manoa 5.Smith 6.Clever 7.LaValla 8.Dolan they have some pretty big guys. In the backs Wyles and Scully are both very talented, add Ngwenya in space and he can cause problems. It's not based on anything in particular why they should win I just think that they will.

I'm guessing that Fiji wont have all their best players available, probably by clubs telling them to withdraw, and that the USA team has steadily got better over the years. In the scrum 4.Manoa 5.Smith 6.Clever 7.LaValla 8.Dolan they have some pretty big guys. In the backs Wyles and Scully are both very talented, add Ngwenya in space and he can cause problems. It's not based on anything in particular why they should win I just think that they will.

Ngwenya has a fractured cheekbone and has only started in three games this season so not sure even he would warrant a selection?

Well you forget that the USA wont have their premiership players available.

Why ? Is the game outside of the IRB window ?

21st November can't be?

[h=2]Saturday 22nd November 2014[/h]OTHER INTERNATIONALS
[TABLE="class: table-stats, width: 624"]
<tbody>[TR="class: fixture, bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]Italy[/TD]
[TD="class: vs, align: center"]v[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]South Africa[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]14:00[/TD]
[TD="class: status, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: alternate fixture, bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]Scotland[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Tonga[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]14:30[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: fixture, bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]Ireland[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Australia[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]16:30[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]Wales[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]New Zealand[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]17:30[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]England[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Samoa[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]19:00[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]France[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Argentina[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]20:00[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

[h=2][/h]

th only thing can make them not available is injury, there are just 2 or 3 new guys and the rest plays regulary with fiji (test matchs, pnc) except goneva (he came for pnc but injured 1st day training)

plus the last time i see them playing fiji it was the biggest lost they have ever received by fijians (i guess the us team missed some players)

Fiji are favourites no doubt and it would be a suprise to see usa beat fiji

??? You didn't hear that USA rugby made a deal with PRL for the New Zealand match outside the test window? 1 for 3, they will be available for the NZ match but not the other three in the window. Usa rugby said they will now use it as an opportunity to try out young domestic players

21st November can't be?

Saturday 22nd November 2014

OTHER INTERNATIONALS
[TABLE="class: table-stats, width: 624"]
<tbody>[TR="class: fixture, bgcolor: #F5F5F5"]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]Italy[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]South Africa[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]14:00[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]Scotland[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Tonga[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]14:30[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]Ireland[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Australia[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]16:30[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]Wales[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]New Zealand[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]17:30[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]England[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Samoa[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]19:00[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: home-team, align: right"]France[/TD]
[TD="class: away-team"]Argentina[/TD]
[TD="class: kickoff, align: center"]20:00[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

It is if on the 1st though TonyManx!!

Ngwenya has a fractured cheekbone and has only started in three games this season so not sure even he would warrant a selection?

Ngwenya is rumoured to have fallen out with the coaches with the USA so he's all yours with no international rugby from now on.

??? You didn't hear that USA rugby made a deal with PRL for the New Zealand match outside the test window? 1 for 3, they will be available for the NZ match but not the other three in the window. Usa rugby said they will now use it as an opportunity to try out young domestic players
No I didn't hear about this. I guess the publicity they will gain from the all blacks game might be worth it. I'll change my prediction to a Fiji win, though I would still guess that players will be withdrawn by their clubs.

very cool you'd take the initiative to start and write this up, Scotty. It's really cool to have this sort of variety on the website and ppl from Tier 1 interested in Tier 2 Rugby.
Yeah Fiji's comin' over here, Marseille just a couple of hrs by train but won't be available then unfortunately....first time I watch a FRA FIJ while being officially a full-on Rugby fan, this used to be a very sexy fixture up until not so long ago. Right now Fiji have clearly dropped in level quite a bit, and France even if they were good would not offer a similar showy type game with flair and sexy expansive intent. I wonder what Fiji can manage here really, what the gameplan will be like, what they'll really be looking to do...I don't know realistically if a victory is really on offer. They don't seem to be close to having that upset in them, even with how France are playing and the sort of team they'll field for this lighter opener before AUS and ARG.

The game in Cardiff is a bit peculiar. The Welsh are undoubtedly the one team that's got the greatest difficulty historically against similar Pac Isl. opposition. The two huge upsets at the RWC, and more recently of course that largely uncompetitive Samoan win two Novembers ago. Even Tonga, who'd lost almost all their games for the year (2013), got beat in Romania and got smashed by a close-to-awful French side; only lost very narrowly to the Welsh at the end of the tour...
There's no doubt on my mind they'll lose both those first tests, but the way they'll play is intriguing as of now and the final scorelines will be interesting to have.

As for FIJ USA, I've no idea. A neutral venue for both, they're playing in Vannes, Britanny, France. Completely exotic ground for Rugby, obviously a plan to promote the sport in that football-dominated region.

very cool you'd take the initiative to start and write this up, Scotty. It's really cool to have this sort of variety on the website and ppl from Tier 1 interested in Tier 2 Rugby.
Yeah Fiji's comin' over here, Marseille just a couple of hrs by train but won't be available then unfortunately....first time I watch a FRA FIJ while being officially a full-on Rugby fan, this used to be a very sexy fixture up until not so long ago. Right now Fiji have clearly dropped in level quite a bit, and France even if they were good would not offer a similar showy type game with flair and sexy expansive intent. I wonder what Fiji can manage here really, what the gameplan will be like, what they'll really be looking to do...I don't know realistically if a victory is really on offer. They don't seem to be close to having that upset in them, even with how France are playing and the sort of team they'll field for this lighter opener before AUS and ARG.

The game in Cardiff is a bit peculiar. The Welsh are undoubtedly the one team that's got the greatest difficulty historically against similar Pac Isl. opposition. The two huge upsets at the RWC, and more recently of course that largely uncompetitive Samoan win two Novembers ago. Even Tonga, who'd lost almost all their games for the year (2013), got beat in Romania and got smashed by a close-to-awful French side; only lost very narrowly to the Welsh at the end of the tour...
There's no doubt on my mind they'll lose both those first tests, but the way they'll play is intriguing as of now and the final scorelines will be interesting to have.

As for FIJ USA, I've no idea. A neutral venue for both, they're playing in Vannes, Britanny, France. Completely exotic ground for Rugby, obviously a plan to promote the sport in that football-dominated region.
i've always been interested in tier 2 nations ever since i watched japan play. i've always been reading the Romanian Rugby thread and the Canadian Rugby thread.

No I didn't hear about this. I guess the publicity they will gain from the all blacks game might be worth it. I'll change my prediction to a Fiji win, though I would still guess that players will be withdrawn by their clubs.

And you'll probably guess wrong, they already named their squad that is pretty much full strength.

why you insist with that? matawalu, nalaga, nadolo, nagusa, talebula and others are always available for fiji these last years, even for the pacific nation cup so for test match in europe, they will be there. (except if they are injured)

Last edited:
Last season the top try scorer for the super rugby was Nadolo, aviva premiership Goneva and Top 14 Talebula. This season Goneva has scored 4 tries in 6 matches already and Ratini 6 tries in 7 with Talebula on 5. Add to that Viriviri last season IRB Sevens player of the season and top try scorer then its fair to say that Fiji's backs are the best in the business. All we need is a great tight 5 because our backrow seems okay.
My Team for France would be:

1 - Koroi
2 - Tuapati
3 - Yanuyanutawa
4 - Waqaniburotu
5 - Nakarawa
6 - Ravulo
7 - Qera
8 - Matadigo
9 - Matawalu
10 - Matavesi
11 - Nalaga
12 - Nadolo
13 - Goneva
14 - Ratini
15 - Talebula

Last edited:
Last season the top try scorer for the super rugby was Nadolo, aviva premiership Goneva and Top 14 Talebula. This season Goneva has scored 4 tries in 6 matches already and Ratini 6 tries in 7 with Talebula on 5. Add to that Viriviri last season IRB Sevens player of the season and top try scorer then its fair to say that Fiji's backs are the best in the business. All we need is a great tight 5 because our backrow seems okay.
My Team for France would be:

1 - Koroi
2 - Tuapati
3 - Yanuyanutawa
4 - Waqaniburotu
5 - Nakarawa
6 - Ravulo
7 - Qera
8 - Matadigo
9 - Matawalu
10 - Matavesi
11 - Nalaga
12 - Nadolo
13 - Goneva
14 - Ratini
15 - Talebula

Fiji clearly has this next RWC in the bag.

Latest posts