Cobus Reinach (Cell C Sharks) - Scrumhalf, 2 Test caps
Seabelo Senatla (SA Sevens / DHL WP) - Wing, uncapped
Jan Serfontein (Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Centre, 16 Test caps
Gurthrö Steenkamp (Toulouse, France) - Prop, 52 Test caps
Morné Steyn (Stade Francais, France) - Flyhalf, 59 Test caps
Adriaan Strauss (Toyota FS Cheetahs) - Hooker, 40 Test caps
Duane Vermeulen (DHL Western Province) - No 8, 25 Test caps
Warren Whiteley (Xerox Golden Lions) - Loose forward, 2 Test caps

The Bold Players are the newcomers or old returnees who didn't feature this year...

The Springbok squad for the Castle Lager Outgoing Tour 2014:

WHERE TF IS SCHALK VAN DER MERWE!!?!!
Tendai Mtawarira (Cell C Sharks) - Prop, 61 Test caps
Coenie Oosthuizen (Toyota FS Cheetahs) - Prop, 17 Test caps
Gurthrö Steenkamp (Toulouse, France) - Prop, 52 Test caps

Bismarck du Plessis (Cell C Sharks) - Hooker, 66 Test caps
Adriaan Strauss (Toyota FS Cheetahs) - Hooker, 40 Test caps
Robbie Coetzee (Xerox Golden Lions) - Hooker, uncapped

Julian Redelinghuys (Xerox Golden Lions) - Prop, uncapped
Trevor Nyakane (Toyota FS Cheetahs) - Prop, 9 Test caps
Jannie du Plessis (Cell C Sharks) - Prop, 60 Test caps

Eben Etzebeth (DHL Western Province) - Lock, 29 Test caps
Victor Matfield (Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Lock, 117 Test caps
Bakkies Botha (Toulon, France) - Lock, 83 Test caps
Teboho "Oupa" Mohoje (Toyota FS Cheetahs) - Loose forward, 3 Test caps
Lodewyk de Jager (Toyota FS Cheetahs) - Lock, 7 Test caps

Duane Vermeulen (DHL Western Province) - No 8, 25 Test caps
Marcell Coetzee (Cell C Sharks) - Loose forward, 22 Test caps
Jaco Kriel (Xerox Golden Lions) - Loose forward, uncapped
Nizaam Carr (DHL Western Province) - Loose forward, uncapped
Schalk Burger (Suntory, Japan) - Loose forward, 73 Test caps
Warren Whiteley (Xerox Golden Lions) - Loose forward, 2 Test caps

Francois Hougaard (Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Scrumhalf, 32 Test caps
Cobus Reinach (Cell C Sharks) - Scrumhalf, 2 Test caps
Ruan Pienaar (Ulster, N Ireland) - Scrumhalf, 80 Test caps

Handré Pollard (Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Flyhalf, 6 Test caps
Patrick Lambie (Cell C Sharks) - Flyhalf / Fullback, 36 Test caps
Morné Steyn (Stade Francais, France) - Flyhalf, 59 Test caps

Jean de Villiers (captain, DHL Western Province) - Centre, 102 Test caps
Jan Serfontein (Vodacom Blue Bulls) - Centre, 16 Test caps
JP Pietersen (Panasonic, Japan) - Centre / Wing, 56 Test caps
Damian De Allende (DHL Western Province) - Centre / Wing, 2 Test caps

Bryan Habana (Toulon, France) - Wing, 103 Test caps
Cornal Hendricks (Toyota FS Cheetahs) - Wing, 9 Test caps
Lwazi Mvovo (Cell C Sharks) - Wing, 9 Test caps
Seabelo Senatla (SA Sevens / DHL WP) - Wing, uncapped

Willie le Roux (Toyota FS Cheetahs) - Fullback / Wing, 21 Test caps
Johan Goosen (Racing Metro, France) - Fullback / Flyhalf, 5 Test caps

This is how I view the squad ITO position I asume they are selected for and how I rank each in that position. Players I am unhappy with in red;

Jannie du Plessis: tired. I't great that Redelinghuys has been called up and I suppose with both Malherbe and MvdM injured it'd always be a given that Jannie would tour. Unlucky; Ruan Dreyer as a key part of a destructive Lions scrum.

Guthro Steenkamp: what? Unlucky: Schalk van der Merwe as THE key part of that dominating Lions scrum. The biggest omission IMO.

Ruan Pienaar: same old concerns but I'm okay with him there IF Hougaard is first choice with Reinach my prefered bench option.

Morne Steyn; here I am assuming Pollard and Lambie are first choice so I'm not overly concerned TBH.

Willem Alberts will be missed up North along with FLouw but it'd be exciting to more of Coetzee at 6 and I am excited to see who of Burger, Carr, Kriel or Whiteley gets the nod. I see all of them ahead of Mohoje by some distance while I see Mohoje as cover for lock. Carr and Kriel my form players.

Last edited:
4 and 1/2 flyhalfs?? Pollard , Goosen , Lambie , Morne and Pienaar (scrum and flyhalf) Please explain perhaps to me how this is??

Still a good squad for the most part even if I have some gripes with the props. Just hope the pecking order is along the lines of recent form. Missing a number of key forwards though; Malherbe/MvdM as my 1st and 2nd choice tight heads, PSdT at lock, Alberts/Botha as my 1st and 2nd choice blind sides while I am happy Coetzee is in better form than Louw and it allows a few other guys to get a chance. I hope to see Kriel in there with Carr on the bench. Italy wil be where we see these guys I suppose and I'm glad its the 2nd fixture as they'll put their hands up for selection I'm sure.
4 and 1/2 flyhalfs?? Pollard , Goosen , Lambie , Morne and Pienaar (scrum and flyhalf) Please explain perhaps to me how this is??

Goosen has been playing at 15 for Racing Metro 92 and has looked pretty good apart from on defense much like Le Roux. Booming boot and likes to join the line.

This is how I view the squad ITO position I asume they are selected for and how I rank each in that position. Players I am unhappy with in red;

Jannie du Plessis: tired. I't great that Redelinghuys has been called up and I suppose with both Malherbe and MvdM injured it'd always be a given that Jannie would tour. Unlucky; Ruan Dreyer as a key part of a destructive Lions scrum.

Guthro Steenkamp: what? Unlucky: Schalk van der Merwe as THE key part of that dominating Lions scrum. The biggest omission IMO.

Ruan Pienaar: same old concerns but I'm okay with him there IF Hougaard is first choice with Reinach my prefered bench option.

Morne Steyn; here I am assuming Pollard and Lambie are first choice so I'm not overly concerned TBH.

Willem Alberts will be missed up North along with FLouw but it'd be exciting to more of Coetzee at 6 and I am excited to see who of Burger, Carr, Kriel or Whiteley gets the nod. I see all of them ahead of Mohoje by some distance while I see Mohoje as cover for lock. Carr and Kriel my form players.

To be fair, HM has warranted the calls.

HM is looking for balance in the Front Row and has selected the props and hookers for the purpose of the scrum, the linouts and the conditions up north. Akker is unlucky, but to be fair to Robbie, he has been playing more and has been great for the Lions.

Ruan Pienaar is actually a bracketed selection. His fitness test is next week in Dublin, and if he passes, he will join the Boks.

Morne Steyn... I guess he got the call ahead of Boshoff, due to Boshoff's inconsistent kicking display the last few games. But with that said, there are 4 Fly Halves in the squad. Handre Pollard, Pat Lambie, Johan Goosen and Morne Steyn. And the latter 2 will only be available for the first 3 tests...

I honestly can't see fault with the Squad. 29 of the guys were part of the Rugby Championship squad and then the 7 inclusions. It's a matter of consistency with HM, and also rewarding the in-form players who weren't involved.

But Mtawarira and Jannie have been ****? Both ITO the scrum and their other duties. I can understand their selection for teh sake of consistency and experience for what that's worth if it doesn't go in hand with quality but I can't see especially Du Plessis' continued selection as warranted based on what you mention.

Senatla deserves to be called up as does most of the new comers.

Having had time to settle down I still feel De Jongh and Van der Merwe are the unlucky ones but I guess there is only so many players one can take along. HM's hand has also been forced in selecting and probably starting Jannie with Malherbe and MvdM both injured.

My prefered matchday squad doesn't look a whole lot different from before apart from Alberts not being available;

1 Mtawarira (would have prefered S 'Vlerkie' vdM)
2 Du Plessis
3 Redelinghuys
4 Etzebeth
5 Matfield
6 Coetzee
7 Kriel
8 Vermeulen
9 Hougaard
10 Pollard
11 Habana
12 JdV
13 Serfontein
14 Hendricks
15 Le Roux

16 Strauss
17 Nyakane
18 Oosthuizen
19 Mohoje
20 Carr
21 Reinach
22 Lambie
23 JPP whereas I'd have prefered JdJ

Jaco Kriel is an openside flanker. HM even confirmed that he's in the squad as cover for the injured Flouw.

JDJ is unlucky yes, but who would he replace? He can of course be on the backup list in case someone gets injured.

I'd try not to mix too much from the team that beat the AB's.

Kriel is good on the deck, true but he carries like a mongrel monster even if he isn't huge which is why I'd put him straight in and what we have been missing most with Alberts out; Kriel's CC stats read- most tries, most clean breaks, most defenders beaten (all these are stats you'd expect from a back), 2nd most turn-overs won, 10th most tackles made. So, in my mind even with the pilfering, those runs of his and those first three stats tells me he likes carrying the ball which is what we need one more forward to be able to do well in the absence of Alberts IMO.

As for Juan de Jongh, I'd drop Morne Steyn. Pollard and Lambie are first choice. Goosen offers utility and Steyn won't be available against Wales in any case. JdV, Serfontein and De Allende are all inside centers at club level and JPP a wing so despite Serfontein still being my 1st choice at 13 and him getting experience there it'd be better to have sure back up in the centers IMO.

But that is nit-picking I have to admit. The core is there. Even my gripes with Jannie is not as much of a problem for me as my posts make out on re-reading seeing as HM has been starting fatboy Malherbe when fit while MvdM is also unavaiable so the options are limited.

Kriel is good on the deck, true but he carries like a mongrel monster even if he isn't huge which is why I'd put him straight in and what we have been missing most with Alberts out; Kriel's CC stats read- most tries, most clean breaks, most defenders beaten (all these are stats you'd expect from a back), 2nd most turn-overs won, 10th most tackles made. So, in my mind even with the pilfering, those runs of his and those first three stats tells me he likes carrying the ball which is what we need one more forward to be able to do well in the absence of Alberts IMO.

As for Juan de Jongh, I'd drop Morne Steyn. Pollard and Lambie are first choice. Goosen offers utility and Steyn won't be available against Wales in any case. JdV, Serfontein and De Allende are all inside centers at club level and JPP a wing so despite Serfontein still being my 1st choice at 13 and him getting experience there it'd be better to have sure back up in the centers IMO.

But that is nit-picking I have to admit. The core is there. Even my gripes with Jannie is not as much of a problem for me as my posts make out on re-reading seeing as HM has been starting fatboy Malherbe when fit while MvdM is also unavaiable so the options are limited.

Jaco Kriel's stats reminds me a lot of Heinrich Brussouw's stats when he played Currie Cup a few years ago. But Jaco is a bit bigger than Heinrich, so I guess it's the guy HM has been waiting for.

I agree with you on dropping Steyn, but I have this thing in the back of my head that HM might pick him if the conditions are very poor and that it might come down to a kicking at goal - fest. Not that I think it will happen as I think our team are now in such a state that we can score tries in whatever conditions we play in.

Must say that i am really exited about this lineup! my Fantasy backline lineup would be

15. Goosen
14.Habana
13. Pietersen
12. Serfontein
11. Le roux
10. Pollard/ Lambie
9. Hougaard /Reinach

This would be an exiting and attacking bok lineup. This lineup obviously would not happen soon so for now i can only hope.

I see there is a big calling for pollard to be used at centre. would that be a wise decision considering the competition we have there at the moment ?

I would hate for Pollard to be moved to the centers. I just can't fathom the reason anyone would want to do that. The Bulls learned the hard way in the Semi not to play your best player out of position. If HM were to do the same I'd lose all respect, like every single ounce of respect I have for him as a coach.

We've struggled so long to find a sure replacement for Steyn and now that we have him some people are talking about not playing him at pivot? My mind is blown.

I would hate for Pollard to be moved to the centers. I just can't fathom the reason anyone would want to do that. The Bulls learned the hard way in the Semi not to play your best player out of position. If HM were to do the same I'd lose all respect, like every single ounce of respect I have for him as a coach.

We've struggled so long to find a sure replacement for Steyn and now that we have him some people are talking about not playing him at pivot? My mind is blown.

Play a centre at centre; Pollard didn't fit at 12 and Pietersen wasn't a 13. Sithole has been doing well for us at 13, pushing Jordaan when both fit. I have questioned le Roux's kicking before, so Goosen offers a little more in the way of a tactical boot from deep. Feel a little disappointed Sbura hasn't been called up, especially with 13 rather open at the moment. Serfontein has done well, but we need more than one outside centre, and JdV isn't that man. Would also have called up de Jongh. Get some new guys in an let them play their guts out! Now is about getting some players to put their names forward for RWC!

Why did we let go of Redelinghuys? Another Plum howler, best of luck to Julian, he is a hell of a prop now! Feel bad for Lewies, he has had a remarkable rise these last 12 months, curtailed by injury recently. Of the SRs selected, only Matfield offers a lineout leader role; Lewies and du Toit would probably offer backup there. I still say Matfield, Etzebeth, du Toit and de Jager for RWC2015.

Thrilled with Lambie and Pollard at 10, some clever rotation between the two should get the most from them; our scrumhalves in Durban played best when they were fighting week by week for their position, and in the last few matches, Lambie and Pollard have both impressed. Pat's boot was a slight worry, but when you look at how far he has come with it since 2010, and his lack of rugby recently, I don't think it is a major issue. He showed the guts to slot that DG v Aus and the huge pen v ABs (and also slotted a few nice DGs last year in the CC final, in spite of a few wayward kicks) so he doesn't just drop his head.

Play a centre at centre; Pollard didn't fit at 12 and Pietersen wasn't a 13. Sithole has been doing well for us at 13, pushing Jordaan when both fit. I have questioned le Roux's kicking before, so Goosen offers a little more in the way of a tactical boot from deep. Feel a little disappointed Sbura hasn't been called up, especially with 13 rather open at the moment. Serfontein has done well, but we need more than one outside centre, and JdV isn't that man. Would also have called up de Jongh. Get some new guys in an let them play their guts out! Now is about getting some players to put their names forward for RWC!

Why did we let go of Redelinghuys? Another Plum howler, best of luck to Julian, he is a hell of a prop now! Feel bad for Lewies, he has had a remarkable rise these last 12 months, curtailed by injury recently. Of the SRs selected, only Matfield offers a lineout leader role; Lewies and du Toit would probably offer backup there. I still say Matfield, Etzebeth, du Toit and de Jager for RWC2015.

Thrilled with Lambie and Pollard at 10, some clever rotation between the two should get the most from them; our scrumhalves in Durban played best when they were fighting week by week for their position, and in the last few matches, Lambie and Pollard have both impressed. Pat's boot was a slight worry, but when you look at how far he has come with it since 2010, and his lack of rugby recently, I don't think it is a major issue. He showed the guts to slot that DG v Aus and the huge pen v ABs (and also slotted a few nice DGs last year in the CC final, in spite of a few wayward kicks) so he doesn't just drop his head.

Agreed, agreed and agreed. How boring! Yes, I am excited for the future and looking at 2015. Hope PSdT and Malherbe are fit as I see those two being missing pieces pieces to the puzzle. Other young guns will get their shot post 2015. Can't see much wrong with the squad and like you said, competition is good and it's great that Lambie and Pollard will be vying for the 10 jersey specifically (here's hoping that those two won't be messed about any more).

That won't happen! Even if JDV is out injured. Our problem has been at fly half, we finally have 2 (actually 3, with Goosen) good fly halves that can play for the Boks.

I also don't know why you guys keep on mentioning the Bulls semi-final debacle with Pollard at 12. the only reason why we did that was because we wanted to give Pollard game time, and because Serfontein was not available due to his Springbok Contract and Burger Odendaal was out injured. We had no other inside centre available!!

For the Boks we have a lot more options at 12 and 13 than we have at 10. Here are the names:

Jan Serfontein
Burger Odendaal
Grant Esterhuysen
Stokkies Hanekom
Doppies La Grange
Frans Steyn

Juan De Jongh
Paul Jordaan
Sbu Sithole
JJ Engelbrecht
William Small-Smith
Howard Mnisi
Damian De Allende
Francois Venter
Jaco Taute

We don't have to worry so much!!

I really don't get why there is all of a sudden panic regarding the Boks. We were seriously hampered by injuries this year, we basically started with an entire second string team, and yet we were very competitive against Wales who basically put out their strongest team (apart from North). It was our last game of the season, The guys now have 2 months of no rugby ahead of them to rest and bulk up before the Super Rugby season starts.

JDV injury is a blessing in disguise... it seems like this is the case with 90% of the bok team lol

But what a centre parring Serfontein and Juan de Jongh will be WOW!!!

Latest posts