• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 EOYT] South Africa

It's an interesting topic that of HM post RWC2015. And I'm inclined to say that he must stay on as bok coach after the RWC. For 2 reasons. 1, His winning record keeps on improving, as well as the team on a constant basis. 2, Who would be better suited as Bok-coach than him? Jake White? Allistair Coetzee? Frans Ludeke? Gary Gold?

I'm inclined to agree with you regarding Meyer staying on. Of our provincial unions only Ackerman has impressed me but he has some way to go still and where else are we going to draw a Bok coach from than from the 5(6) SR 'franchizes' ATM? I want to see Stonehouse get a look in from one of the bigger unions.. Sharks or Cheetahs if I could get my wish. I also want AC and Ludeke replaced as I can't see either take the reigns at the Bokke.

Gents please allow me to disagree slightly. Winning records means nothing if you do not win the RWC. HM Jobs should be to win RWC. If he does or not, after RWC he will be expected to step down. Remember Jakes case..similiar scenario. In short after the RWC it is the end for HM.

Oh no...SA only coach...my Favourite Rassie Erasmus

Gents please allow me to disagree slightly. Winning records means nothing if you do not win the RWC. HM Jobs should be to win RWC. If he does or not, after RWC he will be expected to step down. Remember Jakes case..similiar scenario. In short after the RWC it is the end for HM.

Yeah, but there is a BIG difference between Jake White and Heyneke Meyer's Appointments.

1. HM has a renewal clause in his Contract with SARU, which Jake didn't have.
2. Jake was replaced by P Divvy, which was a politically motivated appointment, and I doubt it strongly that SARU will make the same mistake again.
3. HM isn't defying the political pressures being put on him, he's a people pleaser, which Jake was not. And you can see that HM has a passion for the Boks.

Oh no...SA only coach...my Favourite Rassie Erasmus

No, I meant Graham Henry as an example of why to keep HM on whether he wins the RWC or not. I for one value the world cup ***le but I covet the IRB no.1 ranking and think HM has the right approach. The RWC is a one off every 4 years and while it certainly warrant going all out what happens if you get ****ed over like we got in 2011 by Bryce Lawrence and your out? 4 years shouldn't be defined by that one game IMO.

I say keep him on unless there is a clear better alternative which I can't see 1 year out. When last has rassie coached? I say he should get on board as a head coach at one of our teams first. Him, Brendan Venter, Gert Smal are all good options. I've heard talk of Nick Mallett as well. Give Ackerman another year and he might be a serious option. All better than Brad, AC, Ludeke and Naka who are forming something of a bottle neck of average coaches at our franchizes unfortunately.

Last edited:
Terry Crews vs Juan de Jongh makes me think; so what 36 are you/we hoping for injuries permitting? I am not asking who you think HM will select but who (apart from the long term injured) are you hoping for to get into the Bok 36? While I'm including JdJ I'll add the below;

My picks:

Props (6):
Schalk van der Merwe (Lions), Thomas du Toit (Sharks), Julian Redelinghuys (Lions), Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Trevor Nyakane (Cheetahs), Jannie du Plessis

Hookers (3):
Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks), Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs), Scarra Ntubeni (Stormers)

Locks (5):
Eben Etzebeth (Stormers), Jacques du Plessis (Bulls), Juandre Kruger (RM92), Victor Matfield (Bulls), Bakkies Botha (Toulon)

Loose forward (6):
Duane Vermeulen (Stormers), Willem Alberts (Sharks), Marcel Coetzee (Sharks), Nizaam Carr (Stormers), Warren Whiteley (Lions), Schalk Burger (Stormers)

Scrumhalves (3):
Francois Hougaard (Bulls), Cobus Reinach (Sharks), Ross Cronje (Lions)

Flyhalves (3):
Handre Pollard (Bulls), Pat Lambie (Sharks), Marnitz Boshoff (Lions)

Centers (4):
Juan de Jongh (Stormers), Jan Serfontein (Bulls), Jean de Villiers (Stormers), Damian de Allende (Stormers)

Outside backs (6):
Willie le Roux (Cheetahs), Bryan Habana (Toulon), JP Pietersen (Sharks), Cornal Hendricks (Cheetahs), Seabelo Senatla (Stormers), Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks)

N/A:
FdP, Arno Botha, Frans Steyn, Heinrich Brussow, Frans Malherbe, Marcel van der Merwe, Jaque Fourie, PSdT, Schalk Brits, Ruan Pienaar, Francois Louw, Gio Aplon, Flip van der Merwe, Franco van der Merwe. Actually, through in two wingers and there's a handy XV right here.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I meant Graham Henry as an example of why to keep HM on whether he wins the RWC or not. I for one value the world cup ***le but I covet the IRB no.1 ranking and think HM has the right approach. The RWC is a one off every 4 years and while it certainly warrant going all out what happens if you get ****ed over like we got in 2011 by Bryce Lawrence and your out? 4 years shouldn't be defined by that one game IMO.

I say keep him on unless there is a clear better alternative which I can't see 1 year out. When last has rassie coached? I say he should get on board as a head coach at one of our teams first. Him, Brendan Venter, Gert Smal are all good options. I've heard talk of Nick Mallett as well. Give Ackerman another year and he might be a serious option. All better than Brad, AC, Ludeke and Naka who are forming something of a bottle neck of average coaches at our franchizes unfortunately.

Stormer2010 and Heineken I agree with on all issues pertaining to HM. I hope sense will prevail and the best coaches is selected after the RWC. First thing however is lets bring the trophy home.

Terry Crews vs Juan de Jongh makes me think; so what 36 are you/we hoping for injuries permitting? I am not asking who you think HM will select but who (apart from the long term injured) are you hoping for to get into the Bok 36? While I'm including JdJ I'll add the below;

My picks:

Props (6):
Schalk van der Merwe (Lions), Thomas du Toit (Sharks), Julian Redelinghuys (Lions), Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Trevor Nyakane (Cheetahs), Jannie du Plessis

Hookers (3):
Bismarck du Plessis (Sharks), Adriaan Strauss (Cheetahs), Scarra Ntubeni (Stormers)

Locks (5):
Eben Etzebeth (Stormers), Jacques du Plessis (Bulls), Juandre Kruger (RM92), Victor Matfield (Bulls), Bakkies Botha (Toulon)

Loose forward (6):
Duane Vermeulen (Stormers), Willem Alberts (Sharks), Marcel Coetzee (Sharks), Nizaam Carr (Stormers), Warren Whiteley (Lions), Schalk Burger (Stormers)

Scrumhalves (3):
Francois Hougaard (Bulls), Cobus Reinach (Sharks), Ross Cronje (Lions)

Flyhalves (3):
Handre Pollard (Bulls), Pat Lambie (Sharks), Marnitz Boshoff (Lions)

Centers (4):
Juan de Jongh (Stormers), Jan Serfontein (Bulls), Jean de Villiers (Stormers), Damian de Allende (Stormers)

Outside backs (6):
Willie le Roux (Cheetahs), Bryan Habana (Toulon), JP Pietersen (Sharks), Cornal Hendricks (Cheetahs), Seabelo Senatla (Stormers), Lwazi Mvovo (Sharks)

N/A:
FdP, Arno Botha, Frans Steyn, Heinrich Brussow, Frans Malherbe, Marcel van der Merwe, Jaque Fourie, PSdT, Schalk Brits, Ruan Pienaar, Francois Louw, Gio Aplon, Flip van der Merwe, Franco van der Merwe. Actually, through in two wingers and there's a handy XV right here.

Would like silent warriors Nic Groom , Michael Rhodes and Derrick Minnie and Lionel Mapoe in the mix but yes it very difficult as things stands.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys know that Jaque Fourie is actually available for selection? he has been playing for his Japanese team for the last 3 weeks since recovering from injury, and his contract allows him to be selected for the Springboks for the EOYT.

You guys know that Jaque Fourie is actually available for selection? he has been playing for his Japanese team for the last 3 weeks since recovering from injury, and his contract allows him to be selected for the Springboks for the EOYT.

****ters but would we use him though? I wouldn't take Serfontein out as I think he has gotten better every game he played and while I would give JdV a break the difficulty is he is our captain..

A backline of Hougaard, Pollard, Habana, F Steyn, Fourie, JPP, Taute is a brick wall but I much prefer our positive approach of late with guys like Le Roux (who needs to pick it up it has to be said), Hendricks and Serfontein even if the first two are a bit on the meh side when it comes to defense. JPP also an option in the centers which has become something of a flooded position. I was concerne when we made JdV our long term captain and now we are stuck with him at 12.

****ters but would we use him though? I wouldn't take Serfontein out as I think he has gotten better every game he played and while I would give JdV a break the difficulty is he is our captain..

A backline of Hougaard, Pollard, Habana, F Steyn, Fourie, JPP, Taute is a brick wall but I much prefer our positive approach of late with guys like Le Roux (who needs to pick it up it has to be said), Hendricks and Serfontein even if the first two are a bit on the meh side when it comes to defense. JPP also an option in the centers which has become something of a flooded position. I was concerne when we made JdV our long term captain and now we are stuck with him at 12.

We don't have to use him, but it might be a good idea to take him along, even just as a consultant to a guy like Jan Serfontein who is new to the no.13 spot.

I agree with Stormers2010. He should third in the picking for 13. Added to this I believe JDJ should be first picking even if Jan is playing good rugby. Jan is 12 at his franchise. JDJ an out and out 13.

Because I live in this country... don't like the #stampkar rugby they play... don't like most of the players they select... don't like the coach... don't like them...
Well.. I like the stampkar rugby they play...like most of the players they select....like their coach...and like them!
just saying...

Well.. I like the stampkar rugby they play...like most of the players they select....like their coach...and like them!
just saying...

I'm so glad to see so many Saffa's commenting on the forum.

But guys, don't take note of Icemn. He's one of those guys from the Cape that supports the All Blacks and doesn't say anything good about South African Rugby. Do as I do, and ignore him. You will live long and happy lives when you do that. Trust me

Ignoring has worked for me. Icemn is the only person I've ever neg repped the one tiime and it took some doing LOL.

Anyway, I can't wait for the CC final and Bok squad to be announced any more. Maybe I should take some sleeping pills and go back to bed.

SA and Nz is here to stay. I am a bok but like everything about the rivalry. People can support whoever they want. Its however important to respect each other. I have buddies supporting the Nz team but they do not have any disrecpect to SA. In fact they in brace the rivalry. So let the players talk on thr field and we as respectful and passionate supporters do what we do best and stand by our teams and respects others

SARU has just confirmed that the touring squad for the EOYT will be announced on 27 October 2014 at 11:30 CAT.

Probably a smart move, as it's no use to pick guys who gets injured during the Currie Cup final.

Latest posts