• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Chiefs v Hurricanes (Round 18)

Crazy with the NZ teams how one team can look nigh on unbeatable one week and the next very average indeed.

I think the huricanes center partnership has been the downfall, both fairly average players injuries to smith and leiua have really hurt them

And corse after saying that one of them goes and scores....

If the Canes actually wake up and put some good play together there is still time in this match. Id still prefer the Canes in the finals rather than the Chiefs. Imo that Chiefs forward pack is not going to stack up come finals time.

This game has fallen the Chiefs way with the style of play. Almost no scrums, lineouts or tactical kicking in the second half.

I think the huricanes center partnership has been the downfall, both fairly average players injuries to smith and leiua have really hurt them

And corse after saying that one of them goes and scores....

You should abuse some more Canes players - Nickdnz would appreciate some more tries ;)

I agree though - the centre partnership has been an issue for them tonight. The big problem the Canes have is they don't have a lot of depth in key positions - losing Smith, Leiua, and Vito within a few weeks certainly didn't help...

If the Canes actually wake up and put some good play together there is still time in this match. Id still prefer the Canes in the finals rather than the Chiefs. Imo that Chiefs forward pack is not going to stack up come finals time.

This game has fallen the Chiefs way with the style of play. Almost no scrums, lineouts or tactical kicking in the second half.

I don't think the Chiefs forward pack is too bad. They have only struggled at scrum time because MackIntosh was starting - it was no surprise to see the instant improvement in the scrum the moment he was replaced...

Last edited:
You should abuse some more Canes players - Nickdnz would appreciate some more tries ;)

I agree though - the centre partnership has been an issue for them tonight. The big problem the Canes have is they don't have a lot of depth in key positions - losing Smith, Leiua, and Vito within a few weeks certainly didn't help...

Yea I said in the tread last week that losing so many key players even if they do make it to the finals they would struggle.

blues, brumbies, chiefs, force all need to lose now :(

without bonus points...

Last edited:
Ughh. Well that was pretty unfortunate to watch. We were just missing too many quality players, while our decision making was just terrible for most of the game. The kicking game was simply woeful. Just grim.

I'm resigned we won't make the playoffs, but it's probably a good thing. I don't want to see us play that badly in a final.

Also - it means it's Hammett's last match which is a positive. The downside is we now have Chris "shuffle the ball sideways" Boyd...who is probably the least imaginative coach in existence.

hold up...

there might b hope...

brumbies have a bye this week...

next week its brumbies vs force... and chiefs vs blues...

so we need the blues and force to lose this week... and hopefully next week too... or draw... this is just a quick analysis... i might be completely wrong... lol

Like your assessment of stampkar rugby versus 7's approach to 15 man rugby nê

wins more than 7's/touch rugby now doesn't it :lol:

chill, ek trek net jou bal

The Hurricanes' situation is complicated

blues, brumbies, chiefs, force all need to lose now :(

without bonus points...

Yeah. If Blues keeps their last performance, they can beat Saders

:banghead:

Last edited:
The Hurricanes' situation is now anything but complicated; nothing more they can do now as they are done with their season. They did very well but probably not enough though it will be a lot more clear at the end of the weekend.

The Hurricanes' situation is now anything but complicated; nothing more they can do now as they are done with their season. They did very well but probably not enough though it will be a lot more clear at the end of the weekend.

This was the last game for them, right? Next week they will bye so... :eek:

Chiefs put it together pretty good and turned up on defense.

Cruden showed why he is starting for the AB's and Barrett isn't.

Retallick is god mode again.

Canes injuries hurt them, but for one week they experienced what the Chiefs went through for 2 months with a handful of key 1st choice players injured.

The Chiefs now need to travel to Auckland and get a win in their last match which will be no easy feat.

Chiefs put it together pretty good and turned up on defense.

Cruden showed why he is starting for the AB's and Barrett isn't.

Retallick is god mode again.

Canes injuries hurt them, but for one week they experienced what the Chiefs went through for 2 months with a handful of key 1st choice players injured.

The Chiefs now need to travel to Auckland and get a win in their last match which will be no easy feat.

I agree entirely with your comments on Cruden and Retallick. Cruden had easily his best game of the season IMO. He was a real threat with ball in hand, controlled the game well, but something that really stood out for me was his defense. I noticed during the match that he made a lot of tackles, and this was backed up by the stats (here) - apparently he made 12 tackles this match (the most of any Chiefs player) and didn't miss a single one. He certainly wasn't shy of taking the contact this match either, which is a good indication that he feels confident that he is injury free.

A few other thoughts:
- Fitzgerald had a pretty good match alongside Retlallick.
- Liam Squire had his best match in the Chiefs jersey in my opinion. He was all over the field and made a couple of excellent runs.
- The Chiefs halfbacks were used in the correct order this week. Kerr-Barlow is always better starting in my opinion, while Pulu is a much bigger threat coming off the bench with his running game.
- Nanai-Williams is still not a centre....
- The outside backs were pretty good. Tikoirotimu made some big hits, Lowe looked sharp on the other wing (and has a massive punt on him), while Tom Marshall looked dangerous at fullback (though did butcher one try). Personally I would stick with this combination next week, with Nanai-Williams used off the bench as an impact player (though I'm sure they will probably move Marshall to 12, Tikoirotimu to centre, and Lowe to prop....;)).
- Ben Franks had another strong game - his work-rate in particular impressed me.
- I don't think Dane Coles was 100%. He was ok, but lacked the dynamic edge he usually brings.
- Ardie Savea had easily his best match at this level in my opinion. He must have forced 3-4 turnovers at the breakdown, and made a couple of clean breaks with ball in hand.
- The midfield combination just didn't seem to work. I used to have some time for Bateman when he hit the scene, but he has been decidedly average since returning from Japan (and is heading back there soon).
- Was Julian Savea playing? He went off early too - I wonder if he was carrying an injury (I didn't see him go off, so can't recall if the commentators mentioned anything?). Jane was pretty quiet too, though Proctor showed some good signs from the back.

watched this yesterday night. Chiefs were fantastic, on attack as on defense. Cruden was magnificent. Aaron Cruden, what a talent. One of those guys in Rugby who isn't all about power and muscle and can inject a little bit of pace into the game but still keep a high level of skill and pure vision of the game. Watching this kind of performance helps me salvage my love of Rugby every once in a while, coz goddamn Rugby does get....well, never mind. Retallick was fkn awesome too.

If you are a Hurricanes fan…

Current place: 5th, 41 points
Not playing this weekend

• You need the Blues to beat the Chiefs and for neither side to earn a bonus point, thereby keeping both teams behind the Hurricanes.
• You want a one-sided match in Canberra - if the loser of the Brumbies v Force ties with the 'Canes on 41 competition points, then the Australian side will go ahead because they have an extra win to their credit.
• Like the Blues, your team can't do better than sixth, so the Crusaders and Sharks' results could have a bearing on how far your boys have to travel and what time you're watching the match.

Cheer for: the Blues, either the Brumbies or the Force (depending on personal preference) and the Crusaders

http://www.allblacks.com/News/25460/what-it-will-take-for-your-team-to-make-the-investec-super-rugby-finals

Latest posts