• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby: Chiefs v Stormers (Week 5)

This really is fun rugby to watch. I just get the feeling that despite the score only being 10-6 to the Chiefs it could easily end 40 - 6 if the Chiefs can string the final passes together!

Jeez its crazy how the Chiefs are carving these guys up the defence isnt bad they are just committing guys and moving the ball around its pretty simple stuff really. Stormers are covering well though most other teams will be out of the game by now.

These commentators are blind how did they not see that come off the Stormers wing the first time? Try

Haha, how much luck has Tom Marshall had in both the Chiefs tries?? The inadvertant soccer trick play, and now an "assist" from the stormers hand which presents Marshall himself with a gift 5 pointer!!

Half time 17-6

Crusaders are being made to look very silly so far. Chiefs breaking this defence at will.

Don't be too hard on the Crusaders ... they only had one Makos player to score their try for them ... the Chiefs have three in their starting line up! :)

Don't be too hard on the Crusaders ... they only had one Makos player to score their try for them ... the Chiefs have three in their starting line up! :)
I love the way the Chiefs make up their squad from around the unions:
[TABLE="width: 186"]
<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>[TR]
[TD]Waikato[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Counties Manukau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Bay of Plenty[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Manawatu[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tasman[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Southland[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Canterbury[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Wellingotn [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Auckland [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Taranaki[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]HB[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]NH[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]TBC[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

61:40

the robbie fruen of old, completely lost on defense. if anything just getting in the way of his team mates. I had high hopes for him after that first game but that was appalling

Stormers deserve a lot of credit here. Amazingly they have gotten themselves into a great position to win this. Great stuff by the Stormers, fantastic game and tense last 4 min to come!

Haha, anti-climax! and just like that it's over!! Superb strength by Kolomatangi (Tasman)!!

From potential loss to bonus point win, could be huge come the end of the season!!

How did De villiers catch Anscombe during that break?? The guy is a champion. The scoreboard flatters the Chiefs a bit in the end there but a good win.

Ass wiping handed out to the Stormers...
Chiefs seems to be miles ahead of the rest at present

Well the better team certainly won today, Chiefs showed that while the Stormers defense is very solid when defending against brute force direct attack - if you keep it varied enough they will always be on the back foot. Unfortunately this was found out in the 2011 season and very little has changed in the Stormers game plan, I feel we will never achieve success unless we get out of this stubborn mindset we're in, to be fair our individual errors were woeful as well and we kept ourselves pinned in our own half most of the game anyway.

That said would have never expected anything else away from home against the Chiefs, all credit to them, at the early stage they look like they could be headed for another ***le.

De villiers and Latimer two absolute Champions.

great game, that try for Lats at the end was pretty special. A big part of the chiefs culture and work ethic is driven by Latimer.

Good win by the Chiefs, was worried for a while.

Whole team can be proud, thought the guys back from injury played well, backs looked so dangerous, having such depth on the bench is critical, we lose nothing by bringing our bench on.

Still made too many mistakes but so much better than the first 2 games.

Credit to the Stormers they never gave up and got close.

What a great game to watch! The Chiefs were basically running it from everywhere, they'd clearly identified some lapses in the Stormers defence, particularly out wide. One of the most telling differences between the Chiefs and the Crusaders was shown early in the game, when Retallick received the ball and passed behind one player to another player running onto the ball. Such a simple move, but the Crusaders in the last couple of weeks have been so ridiculously predictable with their passing and they don't seem to have any awareness as to where holes are in an opposition defence.

Chiefs definitely had a fair bit of luck on their side - some of their finishing was a bit dodgy, the first two tries really only came from dumb luck at the end. I think the refereeing was also a bit off, the Chiefs seemed to get the rub of the green in general play, but at lineouts Joubert didn't seem to pay any attention to the Stormers crooked throwing, whereas he blasted the Chiefs for it.

I thought the Chiefs front row had a mixed game. They weren't shown up at scrum time, but they weren't especially stable either. They didn't do a huge amount of carrying in general play either, due to the Chiefs game plan, but they were reasonably effective at trucking the ball up and tackled well.

Retallick was everywhere, one of my players of the match. Symons had another good match too. These two are probably my preferred starting locks.

Messam had a very busy game, whether he was hitting the ball up, playing halfback, or running and passing in the backline. Latimer was a bit quiet on attack, compared to last week, but was an important linchpin on defence. He has definitely bulked up a bit in the off season. Squire had a good match in his first start, that first break he made showed his power and athleticism, and he trucked the ball up well for good gain when required.

Kerr-Barlow looked snappy at the base of the ruck, once again he kept the opposition guessing. His kicks were pretty ineffective, and I'd very much like to see them removed from his game (at least to the point where he was only making one a match or so) though potentially we only saw as many of these as we did due to the big advantage the Chiefs had. The kick into the in-goal from a scrum was particularly bad, and was probably one of two moments where we basically gave up points in the match.

The other moment was Cruden's 'attempt' at goal. He should know the rules, so there's no excuse. In the record books I wonder if it should technically go down as a miss though, given that it wasn't refereed as if it were missed. Otherwise, Cruden had a super game. I don't think his value to this team can be overstated. His prowess on attack is probably the best in the world, and his goal kicking is actually very good now, as seen last night where he nailed two sideline conversions and didn't miss a single legitimate attempt on goal ;)

Marshall was very good last night, though he did play a bit more like a fullback coming into the line than a second five. I think I would still prefer to see him at fullback than anywhere else, especially now that Robinson has basically been declared unfit for the rest of the season. That being said, Ngatai did look to have picked up a pretty nasty injury, so if he is out then it certainly wouldn't hurt having Marshall starting in the midfield. My preferred combo would be Horrell and Fruean.

The outside backs for the Chiefs were absolutely brilliant. Nanai-Williams kept the opposition on the ropes every time he touched the ball, and Anscombe did not look like a man who hasn't played rugby since halfway through last year. Lowe in particular shone out - I like the look of his kicking game, he seems to have a good bag of tricks to use. I would like to see him calm down a bit more at times, he'll end up getting penalised for blocking throw-ins etc. at some point if he's not careful.

Rennie said in an interview last night that some of the changes made to the lineup for yesterday's game were basically to ensure everyone had had a bit of game time prior to heading on the road trip, and that Horrell and Muliaina were just being rested. It will be interesting to see what team is thrown out next week, given Cane will be returning alongside Afeaki and Pulu.

It's good to see a bit of excitement coming out of the NZ conference now, with two wins last night. I don't want to jinx it, but realistically all NZ teams should win their matches this weekend. If that were to be the case then the table will be looking a lot more optimistic for NZ supporters come the end of the weekend!

Latest posts