• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2014 Super Rugby Round 12 Chiefs V Lions

Shaggy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
... I'm sorry, no graphics ... but if someone wants to put them in ... great! :)

Here's the Lions team, courtesy of the Sport24 website http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Weekend-teams-20110203

Lions
15. Chrysander Botha, 14. Deon van Rensburg, 13. Lionel Mapoe, 12. Stefan Watermeyer, 11. Courtnall Skosan, 10. Elton Jantjies, 9. Faf de Klerk, 8. Warren Whiteley (captain), 7. Derick Minnie, 6. Jaco Kriel, 5. Franco Mostert, 4. Martin Muller, 3. Julian Redelinghuys, 2. Robbie Coetzee, 1. Schalk van der Merwe

Substitutes: 16. Armand van der Merwe, 17. Jacques van Rooyen, 18. Ruan Dreyer, 19. MB Lusaseni , 20. Willie Britz, 21. Ross Cronje, 22. Marnitz Boshoff, 23. JW Jonker

... Interesting that they benched Boshoff, and are starting Jantjies

Presumably the Lions anticipate it'll be a running game.

I think it's a very strange thing to do. The Chiefs must be one of the most penalised in the competition, this is the perfect game for a guy like Boshoff.

Chiefs injury list from Monday

Ben Afeaki - concussion
Aaron Cruden - thumb
Hika Elliott - neck (out for season)
Robbie Fruean - heart
Tawera Kerr-Barlow - concussion
Tanerau Latimer - Achilles
Mils Muliaina - elbow (out for season)
Charlie Ngatai - calf
Robbie Robinson - hip (out for season)
Liam Squire - concussion
Kane Thompson - hamstring
Mahonri Schwalger - (concussion)

Chiefs team named:

1. Pauliasi Manu
  2. Nathan Harris
  3. Josh Hohneck
  4. Ross Filipo
  5. Brodie Retallick
  6. Tanerau Latimer
  7. Sam Cane
  8. Liam Messam ©
  9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
  10. Gareth Anscombe
  11. James Lowe
  12. Tom Marshall
  13. Charlie Ngatai
  14. Dwayne Sweeney
  15. Tim Nanai-Williams
  16. Mahonri Schwalger
  17. Jamie Mackintosh
  18. Ben Tameifuna
  19. Matt Symons
  20. Mike Fitzgerald
  21. Brad Weber
  22. Bundee Aki
  23. Andrew Horrell

Chiefs change half their side again. This is really a must win for the Chiefs. They are still in a strong position but have only won 1 out of their last 6 matches - if they lose to the Lions they will probably drop out of the top 6.

I'm not sure why Harris is starting over Schwalger (and Marshall), and I can't really understand Filipo starting either (as Symons looked much better when he came on last week). The loose-forward trio looks better this week IMO, though they don't have any cover on the bench. There is plenty of excitement in the backs, but how many of these players have played in the same position for more than a couple of matches? Ngatai is a big boost at 13. He adds the straight running midfielder that the Chiefs have lacked over recent weeks, and it means Horrell is no longer at 13! Good to see Lowe back starting, and it will be interesting to see how Sweeney goes. I'm not a massive fan - he doesn't have a lot of pace for a wing, but he can be effective stepping back off his wing against the traffic.

I'm picking the Chiefs to get back to their winning ways this week, though it may be quite close. I'm backing the Chiefs by 10-15 points.

Chiefs change half their side again. This is really a must win for the Chiefs. They are still in a strong position but have only won 1 out of their last 6 matches - if they lose to the Lions they will probably drop out of the top 6.

I'm not sure why Harris is starting over Schwalger (and Marshall), and I can't really understand Filipo starting either (as Symons looked much better when he came on last week). The loose-forward trio looks better this week IMO, though they don't have any cover on the bench. There is plenty of excitement in the backs, but how many of these players have played in the same position for more than a couple of matches? Ngatai is a big boost at 13. He adds the straight running midfielder that the Chiefs have lacked over recent weeks, and it means Horrell is no longer at 13! Good to see Lowe back starting, and it will be interesting to see how Sweeney goes. I'm not a massive fan - he doesn't have a lot of pace for a wing, but he can be effective stepping back off his wing against the traffic.

I'm picking the Chiefs to get back to their winning ways this week, though it may be quite close. I'm backing the Chiefs by 10-15 points.

I think Schwalger might be carrying an injury actually ... The number of changes is probably a message from Dave Rennie to those that got dropped, that he expects a better performance from them

I think Schwalger might be carrying an injury actually ... The number of changes is probably a message from Dave Rennie to those that got dropped, that he expects a better performance from them

The problem is the Chiefs have changed half their side every week. I know they have had a quite a few injuries, but if they started the same players every week (where possible) they might actually develop some combinations and hence the better performance he expects :)

Still think they will beat the Lions handsomely

Still think they will beat the Lions handsomely

Well they should win ... they need to start winning, as the other NZ teams seem to be coming into some form, and they might not make the playoffs ... I think Darwin's just lost a bit of confidence after that crushing defeat he suffered at my hands last week ;)

Haha, beat my 120 odd points of last week if you can :)

Heard it is going to a wet day and the Lions start with Janties, mistake if you ask me

Haha, beat my 120 odd points of last week if you can :)

Heard it is going to a wet day and the Lions start with Janties, mistake if you ask me

LOL ... the great thing is, I didn't have to beat your 120 odd points :) ... I agree on Jantjies, Boshoff is a better option surely

LOL ... the great thing is, I didn't have to beat your 120 odd points :) ... I agree on Jantjies, Boshoff is a better option surely

Tru dat! Must say that this draft competition is going to be great next year, they have some cool new features they will introduce. We must gather the troops for next year

Tru dat! Must say that this draft competition is going to be great next year, they have some cool new features they will introduce. We must gather the troops for next year

Yes ... I knows it's the wrong thread, but it's great if there's active participation ... so gather the troops we will ... you should spill the beans on the new features ... on the correct thread of course :D

I'm still miffed that I am/was the only active user in TRF2.. will bide my time for next year.

Back on topic if the Chiefs don't win here (I know Boshoff has dropped off from the promise he showed at the start of the year but Jantjies in the wet!!!) then I just don't know anymore. Picked the Chiefs by 23 in Superbru.

Great game by the Chiefs, still patchy but a 4 try bonus point win is really needed.

Still a lot of 50/50 ball not going to hand but having Ngatai back in the midfield looked stable, Aki looked good in the 2nd half. I like Nanai Williams at fullback but being so small he is easy to hold up and turn over when he gets isolated.

Will need to up the game for the Blues next week.

Latest posts