• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] New Zealand v Argentina in Napier (06/09/2014)

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
140824024305455952.png

140824024303628215.png

1 Wyatt Crockett
2 Dane Coles
3 Owen Franks
4 Brodie Retallick
5 Sam Whitelock
6 Liam Messam
7 Richie McCaw (c)
8 Kieran Read
9 Aaron Smith
10 Beauden Barrett
11 Julian Savea
12 Ma'a Nonu
13 Conrad Smith
14 Ben Smith
15 Israel Dagg

Reserves:

16 Keven Mealamu, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Joe Moody, 19 Jeremy Trush, 20 Sam Cane, 21 TJ Perenara, 22 Colin Slade, 23 Malakai Fekitoa

140824024304634280.png

140824024308232002.png

1 Marcos Ayerza
2 Agustin Creevy (c)
3 Ramiro Herrera
4 Mariano Galarza
5 Tomas Lavanini
6 Juan Fernandez Lobbe
7 Juan Leguizamon
8 Leonardo Senatore
9 Martin Landajo
10 Nicolas Sanchez
11 Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino
12 Juan Martin Hernandez
13 Marcelo Bosch
14 Horacio Agulla
15 Joaquin Tuculet

Reserves:

16-Matias Cortese, 17-Lucas Noguera Paz, 18-Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, 19-Matias Alemanno, 20-Rodrigo Baez, 21- Tomas Cubelli, 22-Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, 23-Juan Imhoff

Stadium: McLean Park
Capacity: 22,000
City: Napier
Referee: Pascal Gauzère

140824024313475295.jpg

Last edited:
Why NZRU will use that cricket stadium?

Well, the first reason is it's also a rugby stadium, where Hawkes Bay play their home matches.

The second reason is the only two other stadiums in Napier are for concerts and indoor sports, neither of which could fit 22,000 people. Not an amazing venue, but the ABs do try and spread games around the provinces.

I would imagine the AB's will be practicing scrummaging non stop for the next two weeks.

Used to live in Napier they have upgraded that stand on the left. Used to be a real old pos.

Last edited:
I would imagine the AB's will be practicing scrummaging non stop for the next two weeks.

lol, i wanted to say ya... i cant wait for the scrums!!!

ARG and NZ have the best scrums so far in this competition with the ARG's way in front in this regard...

I would shift Barrett across to 12 as he has the pace and stepping too play midfield. I've always thought he would move into the midfield.

If I was Barrett I'd want no part of 12 - great way to get overlooked at ever starting when his highness arrives. On top of that, while he has proven to be a pretty damn fantastic scrambler - I'm not sure I'd want him constantly defending the 12 channel (despite his defense continually improving).

This is a good game for Fekitoa to play I think. With all respect to Argentina who put on two great performances against South Africa - I don't expect them to get too close to beating the All Blacks, so it gives Fekitoa more experience without risking too much (which is why I much preferred Crotty against Australia and feel pretty vindicated atm).

Fekitoa at 12 is a good call. He looked more confident in an international jersey than ever before when he came on at Eden Park and needs more experience to build on that. Gutted for Crotty though, who I think has been a really underrated player until now.

Any chance of Barrett starting and/or Slade being involved do we think?

If I was Barrett I'd want no part of 12 - great way to get overlooked at ever starting when his highness arrives. On top of that, while he has proven to be a pretty damn fantastic scrambler - I'm not sure I'd want him constantly defending the 12 channel (despite his defense continually improving).

This is a good game for Fekitoa to play I think. With all respect to Argentina who put on two great performances against South Africa - I don't expect them to get too close to beating the All Blacks, so it gives Fekitoa more experience without risking too much (which is why I much preferred Crotty against Australia and feel pretty vindicated atm).

Yes and no. It gives him a chance too actually start a game and show his versatility, also Argentina aren't the bashing threat like South Africa. Sanchez and Hernandez who wont smash over him and what he adds in attack is much greater than alot of the other 12s new zealand have.

Fekitoa at 12 is a good call. He looked more confident in an international jersey than ever before when he came on at Eden Park and needs more experience to build on that. Gutted for Crotty though, who I think has been a really underrated player until now.

Any chance of Barrett starting and/or Slade being involved do we think?

I'd be pretty surprised with both of those outcomes. I imagine we'll see Cruden start and Barrett on the bench. Even if we smash Argentina this test, I'd be surprised to see Slade feature as he'd have to be in the traveling side to go to not only Argentina but South Africa. I think it'd take an injury to Cruden/Barrett and Carter not reach fitness before they pick him (which is pretty rough considering he's played some good rugby, but I think he is still a pretty far 4th choice).

Yes and no. It gives him a chance too actually start a game and show his versatility, also Argentina aren't the bashing threat like South Africa. Sanchez and Hernandez who wont smash over him and what he adds in attack is much greater than alot of the other 12s new zealand have.

I think the coaches know he's a great 1st 5/8th and a very good fullback backup. But the All Blacks have Ma'a Nonu, Sonny Bill Williams and Ryan Crotty as candidates for the Rugby World Cup, I don't believe they think he'd ever feature at 12 for the All Blacks unless it was off the bench - which is where he is likely to be anyway until Daniel Carter returns - who also has a wealth of experience at 12. Add that with Richard Kahui probably returning - our midfield stock is just ridiculous. Fekitoa needs experience in the midfield even if it as at 12, as he's one injury away from being our starting 13 against a top team, and he's not quite ready yet.

Last edited:
Pablo Matera ruled out. He will undergo shoulder surgery.

Possible replacements:

Javier Ortega Desio
Benjamin Macome
Rodrigo Baez
Tomas De La Vega

Well, the first reason is it's also a rugby stadium, where Hawkes Bay play their home matches.

Thanks for the info, I met the McLean Park through the TV:

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
Dane Coles in doubt as his partner is due to give birth to their 1st child around the time of the test. This would be a big blow for the AB's - he is our only quality international hooker at this stage - but I suppose we need to blood a new hooker (Harris) sooner rather than later....

Dane Coles in doubt as his partner is due to give birth to their 1st child around the time of the test. This would be a big blow for the AB's - he is our only quality international hooker at this stage - but I suppose we need to blood a new hooker (Harris) sooner rather than later....

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing another hooker getting a match against Argentina!

I think talk of Mealamu's demise has been slightly exaggerated, but it wouldn't hurt to bring another guy into the fold.

Harris off the bench and Fekitoa to start at 12, that is what I would prefer, and I understand that is what Hansen is indicating as well (sorry no link - just caught the tail end of something on the radio)

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing another hooker getting a match against Argentina!

I think talk of Mealamu's demise has been slightly exaggerated, but it wouldn't hurt to bring another guy into the fold.

You saw what happened when Mealamu came on for the 1st test, nothing went well for him, while I agree he is not a spent force as an AB's fan I certainly wouldn't want him being our main / only back up option for the world cup

Pretty happy with that:

1. We need more hookers with international experience
2. He is a Chief

Don't underestimate the Argies.
They may not travel very well but they always put in a serious forwards performance.

I like that this is happening at something of an unconventional venue, it's really cool. It's kind of like here when France play at Marseille, it's a rare venue, and the local crowd goes crazy and there's a warmth and proximity you don't get in major stadiums like St de France in Paris.

Fekitoa at first center is a bit risky isn't it ? Dude does have real issues with when to pass, when not to, and has a strong tendency to be selfish.

Trying out a new hooker: it's now or never for NZ. Hosting Argentina at home, as difficult as it may prove to be, still is the easiest fixture NZ get in the championship. And after TRC, it's off to Europe, so no experimentation there...they've had this hooker issue for a while now.

And I believe the last two years the Pumas have benefited from a rainy day in NZ, slowing the ball down for a home side that loves to run as we all know. Only this time they have more intent on attack themselves. I'm picking the AB comfortably, but I'll bet they still won't manage to really torch the Pumas at home as we all feel they should.