• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2014 TRC] New Zealand v Argentina in Napier (06/09/2014)

Pumas Squad for Oceania's tour:

Horacio Agulla
Matías Alemanno
Marcos Ayerza
Rodrigo Báez
Marcelo Bosch
Matías Cortese
Agustín Creevy
Tomás Cubelli
Jerónimo De la Fuente
Juan Martín Hernández
Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe
Mariano Galarza
Lucas González Amorosino
Santiago González Iglesias
Santiago Iglesias Valdez
Juan José Imhoff
Ramiro Herrera
Martín Landajo
Tomás Lavanini
Juan Manuel Leguizamón
Benjamin Macome
Manuel Montero
Lucas Noguera Paz
Bruno Postiglioni
Nicolás Sánchez
Leonardo Senatore
Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro
Joaquín Tuculet

I like that this is happening at something of an unconventional venue, it's really cool. It's kind of like here when France play at Marseille, it's a rare venue, and the local crowd goes crazy and there's a warmth and proximity you don't get in major stadiums like St de France in Paris.

Fekitoa at first center is a bit risky isn't it ? Dude does have real issues with when to pass, when not to, and has a strong tendency to be selfish.

Trying out a new hooker: it's now or never for NZ. Hosting Argentina at home, as difficult as it may prove to be, still is the easiest fixture NZ get in the championship. And after TRC, it's off to Europe, so no experimentation there...they've had this hooker issue for a while now.

And I believe the last two years the Pumas have benefited from a rainy day in NZ, slowing the ball down for a home side that loves to run as we all know. Only this time they have more intent on attack themselves. I'm picking the AB comfortably, but I'll bet they still won't manage to really torch the Pumas at home as we all feel they should.

My thoughts are that they will definitely use that tour to experiment a bit. I believe Harris (or who ever they think is the next in line to Coles and Mealamu) will get a start against the USA, and then in at least one of the games vs Scotland and/or Wales. If they are Unsure of who their top 3 hookers are I suspect we may even see 4 hookers used on that tour (I guess Coltman is still in the mix). By the end of the tour we may even have a new back up to Coles. The reality is the ABs coaching staff simply have to get going with deciding on a third and maybe forth hooker AND getting these guys some game time on the big stage to ensure they are ready to do a Beaver and get on the field to help win the RWC2015 final ;)

^ well indeed those tours are usually used to experiment, but it's not a thing we see the kiwis do much of, though. They do have a couple of "easy" games this year (US, SCO) but then again they have England and Wales too. Not easy on the road. And don't wink at me with that, I don't think the AB are winning the next RWC !

Nonu is coming back to the All-Blacks, and he's hungry for sex:

453888326_3197977.jpg

I would shift Barrett across to 12 as he has the pace and stepping too play midfield. I've always thought he would move into the midfield.

I highly doubt Barrett will move across
I prefer Barrett at 1st/5 ahead of Cruden but that's just me.
All these second fives are really just filling a spot until SBW gets back. Your not going to not start SBW next year in the World Cup.

I would be extremely surprised if the ABs ever played shifted Barrett to 12, particularly if you have Cruden on his inside. There is just no way I can see this happening unless it is forced through in game injury! To be honest I just do not get the suggestion - Barrett is an extremely suspect front on defender, so why on earth would you shift him to a position which requires arguably the most rigorous test of a players D?? My sense is that some people are simply thinking in terms of offense and/or trying to find a way to get Barrett into the starting line up and forget/choose to ignore, his technical deficiencies. Regardless I think the ABs have got it spot on with team selection. I think Barrett off he bench is an absolute game breaker and has shown already he can be the difference between the ABs winning and losing. He might have to bide his time a bit in terms of a starting spot though....

The all blacks always try and blood players heading into the World Cup but, in reality with Dan Carter at 10 SBW at 12 and Cruden on the bench, Barrett will be lucky to play any big games for NZ. So to put him in there as a 'trial' would be ludicrous. Fekitoa has more potential than nonu and hopefully a little time in the team and a small part of super rugby next year may see him rise beyond nonu to cover SBW

Thought this was pretty funny :lol:

10645172_10152377154116915_5600766160229945322_n.jpg

From the very All-Blacks fanpage.

The all blacks always try and blood players heading into the World Cup but, in reality with Dan Carter at 10 SBW at 12 and Cruden on the bench, Barrett will be lucky to play any big games for NZ. So to put him in there as a 'trial' would be ludicrous. Fekitoa has more potential than nonu and hopefully a little time in the team and a small part of super rugby next year may see him rise beyond nonu to cover SBW

I don't know anything about Fekitoa, but if he's as good as you reckon then i agree, get him in there.

Keep the young live wire Barrett for impact.

Beware the Argies, they are a lot better than the kiwi media make out. Sooner rather than later they are going to take a VERY big scalp, I just hope it isn't ours.
The Argies are underrated.

The weather forecast doesn't look promising. It always seems to rain whenever Argentina turns up these days! I'm hoping for a better display of wet weather rugby from the All Blacks than we saw in Sydney a few weeks ago...

Beware the Argies, they are a lot better than the kiwi media make out. Sooner rather than later they are going to take a VERY big scalp, I just hope it isn't ours.
The Argies are underrated.

Agree completely, we should never underestimate anyone we play, treat every game like it could be our last win.

The weather forecast doesn't look promising. It always seems to rain whenever Argentina turns up these days! I'm hoping for a better display of wet weather rugby from the All Blacks than we saw in Sydney a few weeks ago...

If it rains again it would be the 3rd year in a row. Great news for the Pumas.

Just heard Cruden is out, the first five curse continues! Barrett will start at 10. I think NZ has invested so much in Cruden that he would have to have a serious injury to be displaced so I would expect Barrett to do a Nick Evans and leave after the WC (Always a chance of switching allegiances too these days, doesn't he hold an Irish passport?)
NZ will do enough to win over Arg, nothing to prove unlike last week - seems to be the modus operandi lately. We definitely need to blood a few players on Euro tour, I know we hate losing but there is absolutely no point in taking Mealamu, Nonu, Woodcock or even McCaw, Conrad, Read and Carter on the tour, what will the selectors gain other than injuries or fatigue?!

Just heard Cruden is out, the first five curse continues! Barrett will start at 10. I think NZ has invested so much in Cruden that he would have to have a serious injury to be displaced so I would expect Barrett to do a Nick Evans and leave after the WC (Always a chance of switching allegiances too these days, doesn't he hold an Irish passport?)
NZ will do enough to win over Arg, nothing to prove unlike last week - seems to be the modus operandi lately. We definitely need to blood a few players on Euro tour, I know we hate losing but there is absolutely no point in taking Mealamu, Nonu, Woodcock or even McCaw, Conrad, Read and Carter on the tour, what will the selectors gain other than injuries or fatigue?!

Would be pretty unlikely. He lived in Ireland for 16 months as a kid, but he wasn't born there or lived there long enough to get citizenship.

I really hope the Argies give this game a good go. They are definitely on the up, and it's nice to see them progress.

http://www.allblacks.com/News/25846/all-blacks-named-to-play-argentina-in-napier

The team is (with Test caps in brackets):

Starting XV

1. Wyatt Crockett (29)
2. Dane Coles (20)
3. Owen Franks (59)
4. Brodie Retallick (29)
5. Samuel Whitelock (56)
6. Liam Messam (33)
7. Richie McCaw (c) (129)
8. Kieran Read (64)
9. Aaron Smith (31)
10. Beauden Barrett (21)
11. Julian Savea (24)
12. Ma'a Nonu (92)
13. Conrad Smith (78)
14. Ben Smith (31)
15. Israel Dagg (39)

Reserves:

16. Keven Mealamu (115)
17. Ben Franks (33)
18. Joe Moody (1)
19. Jeremy Thrush (5)
20. Sam Cane (16)
21. TJ Perenara (5)
22. Colin Slade (11)
23. Malakai Fekitoa (4)

Does Bin Smith really have that many caps? That was fast!

Obviously a slightly more experimental team. Thrush isn't usually the bench lock is he? Dagg's been playing okay in the ITM so maybe it makes sense for him to come back but I would have thought Smith would have stayed at 15 and another winger get brought in instead if Jane.

I'm a bit Sam Cane fan so good to see him involved.

Just heard Cruden is out, the first five curse continues! Barrett will start at 10. I think NZ has invested so much in Cruden that he would have to have a serious injury to be displaced

Its not serious, but Hansen doesn't want to risk him aggravating the injury.

so I would expect Barrett to do a Nick Evans and leave after the WC

There is no chance of this happening as he is contracted to the NZRU and Hurricanes until at least the end of 2016, along with TJ Perenara and prop Jeffery Toomaga-Allen, Additionally, Crusaders Dominic Bird and Matt Todd are also contracted to the end of 2016.

Anyone predicting a mass exodus after the RWC had better rethink things. Kieran Read, Owen Franks, Dagg, Sam Whitelock, Cruden, Jane and Ben Smith have all signed through to the end of 2017. I expect McCaw and possibly Dan Carter could retire some time after the end of 2015.

While there are others whose contracts do end after RWC 2015; notably Kaino, Nessam, Cane, Luatua, Mealamu, Ben Franks, Retallick, Kerr-Barlow, Slade, Nonu, Saili, Savea and Piutau, I only expect Mealamu will probably retire, but that bulk of these will re-sign with the NZRU.

Looking at that list and the age of a few people the following could be candidates for overseas: Nonu, Messam, Kaino and Ben Franks, depending on what they want to achieve.

Mealamu to retire and the rest of the young guys resign.

Does Bin Smith really have that many caps? That was fast!

Obviously a slightly more experimental team. Thrush isn't usually the bench lock is he? Dagg's been playing okay in the ITM so maybe it makes sense for him to come back but I would have thought Smith would have stayed at 15 and another winger get brought in instead if Jane.

I'm a bit Sam Cane fan so good to see him involved.

not an experimental team at all. It's basically our strongest team adjusted for injury.

Cruden is injured so Barrett starts and Slade comes onto the bench.

They want a specilest lock on the bench to counter the Argi pack, Thrush is the next off the list with Tuipulotu and Bird injured.

Jane is being "rested" though he did look like he picked up a knee injury last game. This may also be seen as a big chance for Dagg.

Latest posts