• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: Australia vs. Wales (10/10/2015)

So realistically, what Wales is hoping to achieve is to beat Australia, then Scotland, then New Zealand, or if they lose to Australia, then beat South Africa, then New Zealand, to get to a final...

I wish them the best of luck!

But all Aussie teams no matter the sport get the stutters when we are expected to win.

Tell that to Shane Warne ...

Personally I can't see Wales coming too close I'm afraid to say. I'd actually prefer them to win, but Aus look so good, and Wales are sadly so depleted by injuries and even forgetting that they don't seem psychologically able to beat Australia.

But then, maybe the backs-against-the-wall feeling will be just what Wales need to break that hoodoo. It certainly worked against England ... but I just don't think Australia will help them like England did.

So realistically, what Wales is hoping to achieve is to beat Australia, then Scotland, then New Zealand, or if they lose to Australia, then beat South Africa, then New Zealand, to get to a final...

I wish them the best of luck!

easy, either way *shifty eyes*

No way will Cheika rest players for this game.

I don't know why people are negative about Wales..Have they done any research? Wales are so much better than people realise, despite the injuries which haven't stopped them getting 3/3 wins this rwc.
Their strengths are they are a closely knit team, they are incredibly fit and play for 80 minutes, they know how they want to play (unlike england), they have hugely talented and skilled players in the forwards and backs and they have a lot of self belief, especially after doing england in the other week. And don't forget Warren gatland, a great coach who knows how to win tough games.

I believe the Wallabies will win but it's going to very tough and close, 3 points. This will be Great game by 2 great rugby teams.

******** will it be close Australia will **** it, Wales will already be thinking about how to beat SA.

Expect an Aussie win, will be close for the 1st 60 odds minutes then you may see Aus get a few points on the board imo.

As a Wallabies supporter, it's great to see them on fire. I just think Wales have a lot to offer and can surprise against the odds

I'm sure that Cheika and the Wallabies will show plenty of respect for Wales and select a strong side. Since 2011 the scores have been very close - the highest difference being no more than 8, and often much closer last gasp wins for the Wallabies. Even with the injury toll, Wales have world class players all over the field; they are cohesive and well coached. I actually think the respective back rows will cancel each other out.

That said, injuries and suspensions may force Chieka's hand. We still have not heard what the story is with Folau's ankle. Rob Horne probably won't start. Beale to start and probably Drew Mitchell to come in on the bench.

If Hooper is suspended - then either Sean McMahon or Ben McCalman can come in. Both in great form. I'd like to see McMahon get the nod - he brings plenty in aggression and energy and is a more like-for-like replacement for Hooper. However McCalman is a a seasoned campaigner and can shore up the line out as another jumper.

If Cheika chooses to rest Foley he may start with Toomua and have Foley on the bench. Surely he won't pick Quade....but he keeps surprising us!!

It will be another cracker game !!

Last edited:
Agree with most of the above. Hooper will be suspended for sure and would think McMahon will come in to start. I think they will leave McCalman on the bench and bring him on later in the game. Not sure about Cooper but I think he will come onto the reckoning as and maybe come off the bench. I also think that Drew Mitchell will come into the side and start.

I'm hoping it is a close game as that's when Wales really seem to come to the party. If they're in touch with 15 mins to go, that self belief kicks in and they tend to shift gears and go after result.

Lots of comments about the respective back rows, but unfortunately I think their influence on the game can be tempered by how the Ref interprets the breakdown area. So many times you see players with legitimate hands on the ball, endeavouring to make the turnover, only to be told by the ref to leave it. Like good props, good back row play is increasingly determined by the man with the whistle.

Wales scrum has been woeful so far and I expect Aus to be on top. Hoping some smart hooking with quick ball out of channel one has been on the training agenda this week. Line out has also struggled a bit, but i think that might be easier fixed than an under performing scrum.

Back three will be an interesting battle on Saturday given the trend of kicking the ball up field and keeping it in play. Aus look pretty lethal regardless of the combination, not so sure about Wales. Williams return at 15 is a positive, but Wales have had that many combo's during the warm up games and pool matches, I'm not sure they are the unit they'll need to be.

Will never disrespect Wales. I just don't think they are the team that can beat the Aussies. Think there's only one team in the WC that can, and that's the All Blacks.I think SA, Ireland and Argentina will give them a go, but still lose. At this stage I would rather the Boks play the AB's in a semi(if we make it) than the Aussies, NOT because I don't rate the AB's....in truth I don't think SA will make it to the final. The Aussies just look that good at the moment.

Aussie by 200.
Wales have waaay too many injuries at this stage.

Aussie looked fantastic against England , but then England gifted them ball from the scrum and England didn't contest the breakdown effectively letting Pocock and Hooper run riot at the ruck.
Their midfield defence was average at best and the forwards did not contribute anything of note in the loose.
England do not have a proper no.7 like Neil Back.
Aussie will punish any team that does not have a speedy and strong no.7 at the breakdown.
Alaso, Oz are the pre-eminent team for destroying weaker teams.
The Boks and the Blacks beat weaker teams but Oz always seem to have the knack of giving them a complete drubbing.
England looked scared and weak after losing to Wales. They didn't cope with the pressure and they definitely didn't cope with the tempo that Aussie played the game at.

Last edited:
All im doing is replying to an off topic comment.
I enjoyed the win. I think the Wallabies completely outplayed the english.
I dont like people who look for an excuse, drop it off topic in another thread, then back away from it saying its off topic. Its weak.
Besides the English have never been kind when beating us.

ahh I thought I deleted my comment. I shouldn't have said anything. my bad.

- - - Updated - - -

No way will Cheika rest players for this game.

I don't know why people are negative about Wales..Have they done any research? Wales are so much better than people realise, despite the injuries which haven't stopped them getting 3/3 wins this rwc.
Their strengths are they are a closely knit team, they are incredibly fit and play for 80 minutes, they know how they want to play (unlike england), they have hugely talented and skilled players in the forwards and backs and they have a lot of self belief, especially after doing england in the other week. And don't forget Warren gatland, a great coach who knows how to win tough games.

I believe the Wallabies will win but it's going to very tough and close, 3 points. This will be Great game by 2 great rugby teams.

Why?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure that Cheika and the Wallabies will show plenty of respect for Wales and select a strong side. Since 2011 the scores have been very close - the highest difference being no more than 8, and often much closer last gasp wins for the Wallabies. Even with the injury toll, Wales have world class players all over the field; they are cohesive and well coached. I actually think the respective back rows will cancel each other out.

That said, injuries and suspensions may force Chieka's hand. We still have not heard what the story is with Folau's ankle. Rob Horne probably won't start. Beale to start and probably Drew Mitchell to come in on the bench.

If Hooper is suspended - then either Sean McMahon or Ben McCalman can come in. Both in great form. I'd like to see McMahon get the nod - he brings plenty in aggression and energy and is a more like-for-like replacement for Hooper. However McCalman is a a seasoned campaigner and can shore up the line out as another jumper.

If Cheika chooses to rest Foley he may start with Toomua and have Foley on the bench. Surely he won't pick Quade....but he keeps surprising us!!

It will be another cracker game !!

why? what has respect got to do with it? they don't have to win.

- - - Updated - - -

easy, either way *shifty eyes*

precisely. it doesnt matter which route is taken to win, both are hard. even if one was perceived to be slightly easier, the benefit from having a week off for these guys will outweigh the difference in easyness of routes. therefore, it is a much better strategy to field your second team. After all, you have to beat the best to win the tournament anyway. Unless that's not your goal of course.

Is tehre incntive to try and come second, or make the semis? Maybe there is? maybe they get more money the further they go in the cup?

If Australia are up by 9, 10 points at the 60 minute mark, I expect them to run away with it. Wales have had too many injuries and I don't think they'll be able to deal with our backs if we can retain possession and get quick ball.

Is tehre incntive to try and come second, or make the semis? Maybe there is? maybe they get more money the further they go in the cup?

i dont think a 2nd string team will be selected for us 1/ because we are using most of them (in the back line) already haha and 2/ we might as well just go all out and try to get the victory. we've got time to recover before facing scotland/japan/SA anyways.

i dont think a 2nd string team will be selected for us 1/ because we are using most of them (in the back line) already haha and 2/ we might as well just go all out and try to get the victory. we've got time to recover before facing scotland/japan/SA anyways.

Its a shame Wales have had so many injuries I reckon they could have gone OK. Can't see it really now though.

Its a shame Wales have had so many injuries I reckon they could have gone OK. Can't see it really now though.

its good for some of the 2nd string guys though as they finally get a chance over all the established team. Tyler morgan at 13 is really growing into his place, showed some classy moments in the fiji game, will be a tough lesson for him against the 2 Aus centres though

Australia are a hot-cold team. Wales by 10.

I'd agree with that after our beating the ABS then get thrashed by them 2 weeks later! Wales could definitely win it if Australia aren't focused.

Latest posts