• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: Wales vs. Uruguay (20/09/2015)

Fair play Uruguay, you did yourselves proud. Hard to gauge Wales' performance and translate it from a game like this but Tipuric played brilliantly, Priestland did a Priestland and I would like to see more of Tomas Francis. I think he has potential to start ahead of Lee next weekend. Both teams should be satisfied at the end of the match. A shame about the injuries though, any news?

Fair play Uruguay, you did yourselves proud. Hard to gauge Wales' performance and translate it from a game like this but Tipuric played brilliantly, Priestland did a Priestland and I would like to see more of Tomas Francis. I think he has potential to start ahead of Lee next weekend. Both teams should be satisfied at the end of the match. A shame about the injuries though, any news?

I don't think I would be satisfied if that was England. If this group comes down to point difference, Gatland will have to explain his decision making in my opinion.

Not the best of performances today, but the main thing was guaranteeing the bonus point I suppose. Thought that yet again, mid-match injuries caused disruption and ruined the flow of Wales' attacking game (for example having to field both scrum halves at once). But fair play to Uruguay, at times they did a fantastic job at slowing down our attacking ball and caused us some problems in the breakdown.

Tipuric once again played his socks off. He has the best work rate of any player in that squad, popping up all over the place for the whole 80. I'll be p****d if he doesn't start alongside Warbs on Saturday.

Real downer about Allen, you could tell Gatland was deflated in the post-match conference. He took about half an hour to spit his words out about the increasingly worrying injury situation. Just to confirm to people who don't know yet, he is definitely going to miss the rest because of a a severe hamstring injury. I'd say that if either Roberts or Scott get injured, that will be the moment any hope of going anywhere in this tournament are well and truly put to bed, as much as it pains me. I worry about Hook coming into the squad and slotting back into centre, he was great there in the past but hasn't been there for a few years now. I guess Gatland could be forced into moving North into centre if needs be.

There's absolutely no way Cuthbert can start against England. It's just not happening for him. Amos would be a far better choice, although he forced things a little today. But he wouldn't be throwing wild passes against the likes of England. I was generally impressed with him today.

A few thoughts on this match.

Not a great display from Wales. Too many basic errors preventing us from putting a lot more points on the board. Uruguay played admirably, but they are a mostly amateur side. I think this group could come down to bonus points, but not necessarily points difference, so it probably doesn't matter in the long term.

Injuries. I hope Liam and Samson are good for the England match. I think we can deal without Paul James with Nicky Smith ready to come back into the squad. Allen is a shame, but Tyler Morgan or Hooky can be drafted back into the squad (I think Morgan is fit again).

Tips has to start v England. He was pretty good again today. We need to target the breakdown v England and playing Warbs + Tips is the way to do just that.

Amos easily outplayed Cuthbert, give him the other wing berth v England.

Tips has to start v England. He was pretty good again today. We need to target the breakdown v England and playing Warbs + Tips is the way to do just that.

Amos easily outplayed Cuthbert, give him the other wing berth v England.

Great minds think alike, Dullonien :p

Great minds think alike, Dullonien :p

It's pretty obvious. I just hope Gatland agrees. I wonder if SA's result v Japan will have any bearing on his decision. Meyer backed experience, and it backfired massively. Cuthbert hasn't shown any signs of improvement, whilst Tips hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. One deserves to be dropped, the other fully deserves selection.

Are you guys the same people? You pretty much posted exactly the same commentary in the exact same order two minutes apart. :lol:

You can rest easy about centre injuries. Gav is ready.

You can rest easy about centre injuries. Gav is ready.

" I think I've got something those current players haven't got,"
"I feel I could take our game to a different level."

He's got balls, I'll give him that :p

" I think I've got something those current players haven't got,"
"I feel I could take our game to a different level."

He's got balls, I'll give him that :p

If he was allowed to play in that trial match last year and train with wales he could have been in the squad now, maybe still would have made the wider training squad had he not broken his leg for Bristol. He's majorly over confident though lol and it's too late for him now. This is all assuming it's 'super gav' your talking about lol

Henson would offer something different to Allen - the ability to pass off both hands, for a start.
He's also incredibly injury prone so would fit in well with the rest of the squad :lol:

If I were Gatland I'd bring him in for sure - especially with Halfpenny out, Henson is a great distance kicker.

Henson would offer something different to Allen - the ability to pass off both hands, for a start.
He's also incredibly injury prone so would fit in well with the rest of the squad :lol:

If I were Gatland I'd bring him in for sure - especially with Halfpenny out, Henson is a great distance kicker.

he is a good distance kicker for sure but i cant see gats bringing in someone outside of the original training group, although we dont have much choice at the moment lol. i dont think they'll bring in another centre to be honest, will probably just get north to cover the 3rd centre spot should something happen to either s.williams or roberts. perhaps draft in another wing or get matthew morgan to play there in a worst case scenario. cant think of another centre that would be up to international level for us unfortunatly.

From a club point of view I hope Gats doesn't go Henson. We cant lose 2 of our 10's, with Nipper already being with the squad. We need him.

This is about the time that bringing in Anscombe would have been reeaaaaally handy. Mind you, I would have had him ahead of Priestland too. Less of a counterattacking threat than Morgan but a better kicker and defender IMO. Got a superb long pass on him as well and good timing. Hope he's taking care of that ankle, we may need him!

Latest posts