• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool A: Wales vs. Uruguay (20/09/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

Wales.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Uruguay.png

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (20/09/2015, 14:30)
Pool A, Round 1

Referee: Romain Poite
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

Teams

Wales: TBA

Uruguay: TBA

What are the thoughts on selection for this match? There were comments from Jonathan Davies on Scrum V that Wales really need to field their 1st XV against Uruguay and to be honest I'd agree for the most part. They need a run out and we need to set a marker for the other teams to match. For me, we need to make sure that Liam Williams, Gareth Davies and Samson Lee get a chance to stretch their legs with the best side we can put out so they get used to it. Davies especially has some big hopes resting on his shoulders and the Italy match wasn't really an opportunity for him to stretch his legs too much considering the circumstances in which he came on - could tell he was just trying to create a solid, reliable platform rather than go all-out, I think.

One thing I'd change though would be to leave Cuthbert out and give Eli Walker a shot - maybe have him on the left with North on the right wing. Other possibility would be having him and Cuthbert on and move North to the centre with Scott Williams, and let Walker and Cuthbert duke it out for the starting spot.

I'd like to see Phillips have a spot off the bench too personally, but also might be good to give Lloyd Williams a shot. Tough call.

Get the best side out, with respect to Uruguay, all sides will look to playing them to bolster points difference (assuming that's a deciding factor) against them. We need to do the same.

Yup Wales looking for a Cricket score here PD could well be a deciding factor.

England got the better part of this fixture knowing a) whether they've done enough already and can just relax (before the Wales/Aus game would be best so we can pick a weakened side), b) knowing just how many points they have to rack up with the added bonus of the side already have taken a pounding from all the teams in the group, & c) made a complete Horlicks of a home world cup and already failed to qualify.

Feel sorry for Uruguay they are in for a long tournament of just getting utterly whipped without much prospect of even having a tight game due to the nature of the group.

Feel sorry for Uruguay they are in for a long tournament of just getting utterly whipped without much prospect of even having a tight game due to the nature of the group.

Yep, such a shame and another reason why the way the pools are decided needs changing. The top end of the group is going to be absolutely thrilling but it does come at a cost.

I think Wales will put out their strongest side. I know it'll mean that we'll essentially be putting out our first choice side in all four pool games (maybe a few changes here and there), but we need to hit the ground running against England, and giving the side a good run-out v Uruguay is therefore important imo. The intensity won't be there from Uruguay, so injuries should be unlikely.

There's a few areas of interest regarding selection. Is Gatland considering a Warbs+Tips backrow against England? Selection for this game might hint at what he's planning. Who's our first choice 9? Gareth Davies is my bet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the three start v England, thus in this game too. Has Cuthbert been given his last chance? Has Ken Owens done enough in the warm-ups to start ahead of Scott Baldwin? I was underwhelmed with Owens, he's usually more accurate with his throwing, and more involved in the loose. That could have opened the door for Baldwin to start.

This is what I'd pick:

01 Gethin Jenkins
02 Scott Baldwin
03 Samson Lee
04 Luke Charteris
05 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Sam Warburton
07 Justin Tipuric
08 Taulupe Faletau

09 Gareth Davies
10 Dan Biggar
11 Eli Walker
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Scott Williams
14 George North
15 Liam Williams

16 Ken Owens
17 Paul James
18 Tomas Francis
19 Bradley Davies
20 Dan Lydiate
21 Mike Phillips
22 Rhys Priestland
23 Matthew Morgan/Halam Amos.

I think Wales will put out their strongest side. I know it'll mean that we'll essentially be putting out our first choice side in all four pool games (maybe a few changes here and there), but we need to hit the ground running against England, and giving the side a good run-out v Uruguay is therefore important imo. The intensity won't be there from Uruguay, so injuries should be unlikely.

There's a few areas of interest regarding selection. Is Gatland considering a Warbs+Tips backrow against England? Selection for this game might hint at what he's planning. Who's our first choice 9? Gareth Davies is my bet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the three start v England, thus in this game too. Has Cuthbert been given his last chance? Has Ken Owens done enough in the warm-ups to start ahead of Scott Baldwin? I was underwhelmed with Owens, he's usually more accurate with his throwing, and more involved in the loose. That could have opened the door for Baldwin to start.

This is what I'd pick:

01 Gethin Jenkins
02 Scott Baldwin
03 Samson Lee
04 Luke Charteris
05 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Sam Warburton
07 Justin Tipuric
08 Taulupe Faletau

09 Gareth Davies
10 Dan Biggar
11 Eli Walker
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Scott Williams
14 George North
15 Liam Williams

16 Ken Owens
17 Paul James
18 Tomas Francis
19 Bradley Davies
20 Dan Lydiate
21 Mike Phillips
22 Rhys Priestland

I agree with that but I think Gatland will go Phillips, I think he sees him as a safer option, whereas Davies is a bit of an unknown quantity at this level. Although for England I think he'll also go tried and tested in the back row aswell.

This is what I'd pick:

01 Gethin Jenkins
02 Scott Baldwin
03 Samson Lee
04 Luke Charteris
05 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Sam Warburton
07 Justin Tipuric
08 Taulupe Faletau

09 Gareth Davies
10 Dan Biggar
11 Eli Walker
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Scott Williams
14 George North
15 Liam Williams

16 Ken Owens
17 Paul James
18 Tomas Francis
19 Bradley Davies
20 Dan Lydiate
21 Mike Phillips
22 Rhys Priestland

100% agreed on both starting XV and the bench - I'd be happy seeing that combination face off against pretty much anyone. I'd be massively surprised if we see a Tips/Warburton combo though. A lot of the time I do see the logic of having Tips as an impact sub but to be honest I think it's worth trying it this way, especially against someone like Australia who we have lost to in the dying moments so many times. Having Lydiate come exploding out of the gates at 60 mins could be a game changer and result in some big turnovers as the game opens up, especially mixed with the likes of Ken Owens. It would also probably give Mike a little more time at the rucks to get the backs going.

With respect Mojopin, an 'explosive' 'game changer' would hardly be my first choice of words to describe Dan Lydiate! I think I know what you mean though..

Seeing as roberts is integral to our 'warrenball' gameplan I would start with him and sub him after half time, put north into centre, have walker/cuthbert (depending who starts)take his position on the wing, north would have a field day at centre against Uruguay

My problem with having tips on the bench is, what's the point if we're too far behind by this time he comes on? Whilst having impact off the bench is important, our best players need to be starting imo, and someone of the quality of Tipuric needs to be on the field from the start. He's got the potential to be THE best openside in the world given his all round skillset. We should have him starting, and look to start games with a bang.

Whilst I wouldn't describe Lydiate as an impact sub, what he can offer off the bench is a ferocity in defence, someone who can come off the bench and defend a lead.

Re Phillips. I think Gatland has altered his stacking patterns based on Webb at 9, hence Phillips' absence from the initial WC squad. So I think we'll see Gareth or Lloyd as first choice, potentially with Phillips coming off the bench. I don't see Phillips leapfrogging both into first choice.

My problem with having tips on the bench is, what's the point if we're too far behind by this time he comes on? Whilst having impact off the bench is important, our best players need to be starting imo, and someone of the quality of Tipuric needs to be on the field from the start. He's got the potential to be THE best openside in the world given his all round skillset. We should have him starting, and look to start games with a bang.

Whilst I wouldn't describe Lydiate as an impact sub, what he can offer off the bench is a ferocity in defence, someone who can come off the bench and defend a lead.

Re Phillips. I think Gatland has altered his stacking patterns based on Webb at 9, hence Phillips' absence from the initial WC squad. So I think we'll see Gareth or Lloyd as first choice, potentially with Phillips coming off the bench. I don't see Phillips leapfrogging both into first choice.

Yeah I agree. I can only see Gareth Davies as first choice, with Mike Phillips being an impact sub. Lloyd Williams hasn't had enough game time to really merit a comeback. But then who knows what going on at camp!

Can't agree with you on Eli though. I still feel Eli is an unknown at international level and would be a huge risk to game with at the WC. He's going to play Cuthbert as first choice or otherwise he would have taken Eli in the first place. Eli may get a game against Uruguay! It would have been more interesting if Halfpenny was fit to see who wen to the wing :D

Walker just can't catch a break! I fear for his future in the game, he's just so injury prone.

Bit of an odd replacement, bringing in a loose forward for a wing! Can see Moriarty starting v Fiji, giving Faletau a rest. Could be a good bench option in the big games over Lydiate too, if Tips starts that is.

With respect Mojopin, an 'explosive' 'game changer' would hardly be my first choice of words to describe Dan Lydiate! I think I know what you mean though..

Hehe yeah I guess maybe that's overstating things a bit, but yeah my point was that he's got a huge defensive game - big tackles when you really need them and I started to wonder if that might actually be more useful in the latter stages of a game than the opening when everyone's energy levels are running higher. If that caused a few more turnovers then that could really help Wales close out a few more of their games. It's all very unlikely, purely speculation really.

Interesting that Moriarty is back in now though - surely a bench spot for the Uruguay game now?

I would be more inclined to have Moriaty start in this game, bring falatau on in the 2nd half, less risk of him being injured then, in theory

I think Moriarty should start, probably at 8 as Faletau could use a breather. Saying that, maybe start him at 6 as we're hardly going to need Lydiate chopping down the Uruguayans and Moriarty's carrying should get us into positions to score tries for well needed points. Either way, start him and let's see what he can do with a half decent team around him.

That makes sense too, would give lydiate a rest but that means falatau would have to start, and after the poor form in the last game I hope it isn't because he's burnt out. We really need a backup at 8, I was hoping baker would shine through but just wasn't good enough in that first game. Moriaty seems like a great wrecking ball, and we know how much gats loves to pound opposition with force

Baker was a bit disappointing. He doesn't seem to have been half the player since his injury. Maybe what you say is good enough reason to start Moriarty at 8 to give flat out a rest. Either that or start warbs at 8 and tips at 7, that sounds a fun mix.

Just a shame theres nobody in our group called Holmes to go up against. The headlines write themselves

Latest posts