• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 1: South Africa vs. Wales (17/10/2015)

The game wasn't good for my health. Firstly Wales, hats off to you. You defended like tigers(or dragons), never gave up.South Africa.....man. 20 Minutes to go I got up and lit the fire outside. If I say what's in my heart I will be kicked off this forum so quick my head will spin. I think we were LUCKY to win the game. To try the same move 1000 times in the game and see it flop 999 times....why don't Fourie just give the ball to Schalk, and let him run through a Welshman or two? Not?It didn't work Heynecke, teach your players to try and go AROUND someone and not THROUGH them....except for THOR, is there no forward in the bok team with any skill? I hope they don't try this against the AB's. They will murder us!!Rant over.

I can't see Handre starting next week. Schalk will be the new 10, he stood in that channel the whole game against Wales. Did I say rant over?I lied. If you want to go bump someone, try and take someone with you so you can keep the ball. Clearly you're not good enough on your own. Brian, sorry for not getting the try record. Maybe you should go stand in the fly half channel, most of the balls go there in our games, lol.

I'm sorry for the negativity. I just don't want to look this bad against the AB's in the semi. If we play like this, we're going to lose with a bigger margin than France/AB's.

Well, if Wales are ahead by less than 7 by the 73rd minute... We'll still have a chance...

Well, I called it!!

Man, I had a mini-heart attack on Saturday. That try by Fourie Du Preez was a masterstroke! when we got that scrum, I thought they were going to do the move where the no. 8 picks up and passes to 9 and then give the inside ball to 11, like we did in 2011 against the Welsh in the WC. But this move was absolutely brilliant. We got the left shoulder, took out Warburton with the angle, Vermeulen pulled the defenders, and gave an awesome offload to Du Preez.

If only our forwards, and in particular, Lood De Jager, didn't knock on every time we got into the Welsh 22. We missed about 7 chances at converting but coughed it up. And we need to sort that out ASAP because the All Blacks are waiting and they will punish us.

Very happy with the win, And it's going to be good to watch the Rugby Championship again for the next 2 weeks...:p

That try by Fourie Du Preez was a masterstroke! when we got that scrum, I thought they were going to do the move where the no. 8 picks up and passes to 9 and then give the inside ball to 11, like we did in 2011 against the Welsh in the WC. But this move was absolutely brilliant. We got the left shoulder, took out Warburton with the angle, Vermeulen pulled the defenders, and gave an awesome offload to Du Preez.

Very happy with the win, And it's going to be good to watch the Rugby Championship again for the next 2 weeks...:p

Agreed, don't think any player has transformed so much in this tournament! Always been a class player of course but he really turned up the heat on Saturday. Gutted for Wales of course, but congrats and good luck in the semis!

Agreed, don't think any player has transformed so much in this tournament! Always been a class player of course but he really turned up the heat on Saturday. Gutted for Wales of course, but congrats and good luck in the semis!

Yeah.

And at least you guys have now qualified for the 5th playoff spot...

That is three posts criticising the ref and you are in such a minority that you should really stop now and maybe learn the nuances and rules of the game as Barnes was superb and you are not even involved in this game!! Cant wait to hear what you say about the ref tonight as your France, unfortunately, get their arses whipped!

Wales were monumental against a better team who played badly. Wales were brave, tenacious, and motivated but lacked the final bit and gave away too many penalties, rightly awarded, in their own half. The Boys can hold their heads high but another near miss..................

Barnes ref'd well I think he's had a better tournament than Owens and in my opinion should get the final.
Hats off to all the Wales players that have taken part in this WC, heroes all, I reckon its a fine line between any of the top 4 to 6 nations and results could be different on any given day.

- - - Updated - - -

Had a bit of time to digest the game now, and to calm down from the initial relentless sinking feeling in my chest. Congratulations South Africa, they really closed the game out well and professionally, again probably showing the tiny difference between the north and south that still remains. It was one of those games where luck didn't seem to go our way again, but I'm still proud of the performance from the team overall.

Wales' defence was superb for most of the game, and I think it's a real positive that they only conceded 3 tries in the whole tournament (correct me on that if I'm wrong). Shaun Edwards MUST STAY. He would be the biggest loss in that backroom set up.

Faletau was awesome, I'd say he could argue a claim for best No.8 in the world currently. He just never has a bad game, I don't think I've seen a more consistent player for Wales in my whole life of watching rugby. Biggar was great again and is beginning to add a new attacking dimension to his game (the presence of mind and skill in executing the set up of Davies' try was something we rarely see in Wales' attacking game these days, so that was refreshing). Charteris had a poorer game than I hoped, giving away silly penalties and missing glaring overlaps when the ball should have been thrown out wide to finish off moves. But I think if Wales can iron out these flaws and show a bit more of a connect between forwards and backs and knowing when to go out wide, I think we will stand a good chance in the Six Nations.

But generally, pleased with Wales overall and proud of the performances in spite of the constant major disruption and injuries to players. And to the twitter users who are hurling verbal abuse at Cuthbert, you should all be ashamed of yourselves. That goes for Andy Powell too, who recently posted a video or something taking the p**s out of Cuthbert. If I remember correctly, you went through a lengthy poor patch in your short-lived Wales career yourself Andy. It gets ridiculous when "fans" are making things personal. Leave the guy alone, let him go back to his club and regain some form, and stop hiding behind your keyboards - I'm pretty sure none of these people would tell Cuthbert face-to-face what they have said to him online.

I cannot see Edwards going to England he wouldn't be comfortable in that type of environment, to many suits and public school boys.

Depends if there was a change in the higher ups (i.e. Andrew and Richie).
Edwards is a proud Englishman and I reckon he wants to coach England at some point in his career.

Depends if there was a change in the higher ups (i.e. Andrew and Richie).
Edwards is a proud Englishman and I reckon he wants to coach England at some point in his career.

Edwards is a proud working class guy, I don't think he would be comfortable in an environment full of toffs.

Edwards is a proud working class guy, I don't think he would be comfortable in an environment full of toffs.
You mean like Jason Leonard?

Is Shaun Edwards working class though? I can't find anything on education but his uncle is roman catholic priest and the rest of the family including him are (rarely in this country are they "working class", the members of my family certainly aren't).

What a load of rubbish..Rugby is an inclusive game and someone's background doesn't make them any less committed or have any more or less right to compete and play Rugby at the highest level. Whether they are born with a silver spoon or from an as you put it "working class" family as long as they give all for their country what harm is it doing to you. You can't change what bed you are born into so lets just leave it at that.

Are you basing that just on his accent?
He played for/captained England at Union at age-grade, so didn't exactly spend his youth down t'pit.

Apparently he went to the same school as Chris Ashton and Owen Farrell - they've managed OK having the "toffs" looking down their noses at them.

Are you basing that just on his accent?
He played for/captained England at Union at age-grade, so didn't exactly spend his youth down t'pit.

Apparently he went to the same school as Chris Ashton and Owen Farrell - they've managed OK having the "toffs" looking down their noses at them.

I'ts based on past interviews were Edwards has said he feels at home in working class south Wales as the people are down to earth and very similar to the locals at Wigan.