• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 1: South Africa vs. Wales (17/10/2015)

SA had Wales and Barnes against them, well done SA, was not easy but clearly you largely dominated the game.

That is three posts criticising the ref and you are in such a minority that you should really stop now and maybe learn the nuances and rules of the game as Barnes was superb and you are not even involved in this game!! Cant wait to hear what you say about the ref tonight as your France, unfortunately, get their arses whipped!

Wales were monumental against a better team who played badly. Wales were brave, tenacious, and motivated but lacked the final bit and gave away too many penalties, rightly awarded, in their own half. The Boys can hold their heads high but another near miss..................

Nothing wrong with Barnes today

Wales will be kicking themselves, it was the first 20 mins that lost it, we were on top in the game but gifted penalties and that was the difference at then end

That is three posts criticising the ref and you are in such a minority that you should really stop now and maybe learn the nuances and rules of the game as Barnes was superb and you are not even involved in this game!! Cant wait to hear what you say about the ref tonight as you France, unfortunately, get their arses whipped!

Wales were monumental against a better team who played badly. Wales were brave, tenacious, and motivated but lacked the final bit and gave away too many penalties, rightly awarded, in their own half. The Boys can hold their heads high but another near miss..................

Can't really fault Barnes, he was fair!

- - - Updated - - -

Hard luck Welsh fans.

Unlucky Wales. Thought their defence was fantastic just needed more possession.

South Africa - could hardly be called a WC winning performance. Dull and unimaginative.

Can't see them reproducing that and getting to the finals. I lost count of the turnovers and mistakes.

Barnes - good game!

SA had Wales and Barnes against them, well done SA, was not easy but clearly you largely dominated the game.
They surely dominated in the second half, well done SA! Such a shame for wales, they were so close
and barnes "why dont you play instead of screaming" :) I should watch again the game, but I think he should have whistled for a few 'not rolling away' in the bokke's favour in the second half... Wouldnt that make sense after whistling the first tackle for that?

Hard luck Wales but it always felt they were hanging by the skin of their teeth in the second half.

Now onto our game.

Congrats to the boks. They kept their composure . It looks like they might go all the way. The Welsh did not have enough talent at their disposal . Otherwise tactically they were very good at nullifying the Boks traditional strengths .

Unfortunately, we were always going to lose that. We just couldn't get any field position in that second half. That was largely down to some poor kicking in the second half, I understand why they chose to kick so much, but it was generally straight back to a SA player. Anscombe was very average in most aspects today, especially in relieving the pressure we were under.

Heroic defence, but that normally only holds out so long.

Congrats SA.

Good performance by South Africa. I have a feeling their name is written on the trophy this year.

You could see Warburton and Wynn Jones were weary midway through the second. Its testament to their bravery that they didn't let the side down. Cuthbert, Anscombe and Lloyd Williams though..... Shame. With a handier group and no injuries Wales could have been a real force in this tournament.

SA's power is immense but they'll be easy to play against for teams with a bit of subtlety. Well maybe not easy but you know what i mean. NZ won't try and run through them, they'll run around them. An organised defence should cope with their ultra direct runners too.

Fair Enough

Though all was going well for Wales in the first half. First half thought calls were going against Wales, Still don't know why North was penalised. To be fair South Africa dominated the second half, so probably deserved to win. They did miss 2 kickable penalties, though Cuthbert I feel was at least in part to blame for the try. If you come off the wing, as he did, he really needs to smother the ball. Just looked at this forum, so have not seen all the comments, but surprised that ref is being criticised for being on the side of Wales. Did not feel this to be the case in the first half. Had no criticis
ms in the 2nd half, which may mean the other side was not happy. Overall feel the ref was probably not a factor overall, and SA dominance in the 2nd half means that I cannot complain about the result.

Wales' defense was immense. The amount of possession we (bokke) had in the second half while scoring so few points is testament to that. In the end it was just 1 scrum move that separated the teams. Well played to both the Dragons and the Springboks! Unlucky Wales, in a different QF you would have gone through.

Well played.

With all the injuries Wales had and considering it was a first choice Bok 15 I reckon they put in a fantastic performance.If I was a Welsh supporter I would be disappointed at the result,obviously,but very proud of the way my team had played.Well done lads.

Barnes called a knock on at about 44 minutes in from a restart that was unbelievably bad. This gave wales the ball and allowed them to eventually score 3 points.

Watching the second half now and all im seeing is the usual Barnes. He clearly favours a team with a "dominant" backrow with pilfering/ball slowing players. Warburton and co were getting away with murder at near every ruck and maul.

Other than that Barnes seemed fine but thats just a big gripe of mine about Barnes and its nothing new. He consistently lets teams like Wales or Australia play like this.

That said if NZ get through we cant complain (to much) if we end up with him because its clear how he's going to reff a game between Aus and NZ for instance. We are just going to have to adapt.

Im seeing SA making the majority of the play in the second half and either making an error and coughing pill up or wales usually illegally slowing the ball down or stealing it.

Barnes called a knock on at about 44 minutes in from a restart that was unbelievably bad. This gave wales the ball and allowed them to eventually score 3 points.

Watching the second half now and all im seeing is the usual Barnes. He clearly favours a team with a "dominant" backrow with pilfering/ball slowing players. Warburton and co were getting away with murder at near every ruck and maul.

Other than that Barnes seemed fine but thats just a big gripe of mine about Barnes and its nothing new. He consistently lets teams like Wales or Australia play like this.

That said if NZ get through we cant complain (to much) if we end up with him because its clear how he's going to reff a game between Aus and NZ for instance. We are just going to have to adapt.

Im seeing SA making the majority of the play in the second half and either making an error and coughing pill up or wales usually illegally slowing the ball down or stealing it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L0MK7qz13bU

That was intense, was a great game of knockout rugby; I thought it could go either way tbh. Wales can carry no shame with this defeat, they have worked harder than most teams this WC. On to next week!

Latest posts