• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 1: South Africa vs. Wales (17/10/2015)

Surely this is going to be a brutal contest?

I wonder if Wales might find it hard to break down the SA defence but I can certainly see a lot of penalties going Wales' way at the breakdown. Finding it hard to even begin to predict this one.

Surely this is going to be a brutal contest?

I wonder if Wales might find it hard to break down the SA defence but I can certainly see a lot of penalties going Wales' way at the breakdown. Finding it hard to even begin to predict this one.

Yeah, I'm very interested to see who's going to be the referee. SA haven't had a SH referee at all in this tournament, and we got heavily penalised at the breakdown area in most of our matches. But we didn't concede any tries against Samoa or USA, and Scotland's only try came off an interception. Our Defence is one thing that has improved significantly since the start of the tournament.

From a Welsh perspective I'm finding it a little difficult to figure out which approach is going to best against SA. It CAN be done, but then we also had massive missed opportunities against Australia!

Personally, I think we have to go back to a couple of our more regular selections - Jenkins and Lydiate back in, Tipuric back on the bench. A lot of people in Welsh media suggest Bradley Davies needs to come back in but I'm fine with Charteris to be honest - he's a hell of a defender.

Most of our squad picks itself but the centres and wings are a different matter. Do we go with Roberts/North or Roberts/Morgan with North back on the wing? A lot of this rests with what happens to Cuthbert. If it was up to me, I think that Australia game should be the last straw now - needs to prove himself with the Blues before he gets anywhere near the Wales starting XV again. Would sooner have Lloyd Williams or even Tyler Morgan on the wing.

Fullback...Anscombe did pretty well against Australia despite one overcooked kick, which ain't bad IMO considering his lack of game time. But Matthew Morgan could definitely make an impact offensively. Tricky one and again, Morgan could be another contender for the wing surely?

Don't know the answers at the moment to be honest - don't envy Gatland on this one!

This is the 1/4 that I'm not sure of at all. SA will score against most teams driving from a line out. I think Wales could score breaking through our back line, between 10 and 13. If they hit our line with pace(that small Welsh 15?).

matthew morgan is the little fullback but i can pretty much guarentee he will not be picked. theres no way gatland would risk him as the last line of defence in this game, your boys will smash 7 shades of Sh*t out of him lol

- - - Updated - - -

From a Welsh perspective I'm finding it a little difficult to figure out which approach is going to best against SA. It CAN be done, but then we also had massive missed opportunities against Australia!

Personally, I think we have to go back to a couple of our more regular selections - Jenkins and Lydiate back in, Tipuric back on the bench. A lot of people in Welsh media suggest Bradley Davies needs to come back in but I'm fine with Charteris to be honest - he's a hell of a defender.

Most of our squad picks itself but the centres and wings are a different matter. Do we go with Roberts/North or Roberts/Morgan with North back on the wing? A lot of this rests with what happens to Cuthbert. If it was up to me, I think that Australia game should be the last straw now - needs to prove himself with the Blues before he gets anywhere near the Wales starting XV again. Would sooner have Lloyd Williams or even Tyler Morgan on the wing.

Fullback...Anscombe did pretty well against Australia despite one overcooked kick, which ain't bad IMO considering his lack of game time. But Matthew Morgan could definitely make an impact offensively. Tricky one and again, Morgan could be another contender for the wing surely?

Don't know the answers at the moment to be honest - don't envy Gatland on this one!

yea i agree, i think we'll see more of the 'regular' starters back on, lydiate/jenkins etc. i really hope charteris gets another start, his work defending mauls is stupidly good. As this is arguably the boks main weapon you would like to think this would be more important than slightly more grunt upfront.

it looks like we will start cuthbert again due to lack of other options but he was just awful, apart from one nice take and give for norths held up try. that moment where he just stared at the rolling ball in front of him and Aus gathered i have no idea what the hell he was thinking, it was just bananas. he just froze and did nothing. id love to see either of the morgans replace him on the wing but doubt this will happen.

id go with Anscombe again at fullback to be honest, fairly decent game and choose great options in attack when he came into the line. i remember a lovely pass out wide to falatau for one attack. there was also a neat grubber through from him at the begining as well. Ancombe to start fullback with morgan on the bench for impact when the boks are a little tired

TBH everything since the loss against Japan has been gravy for me; my expectations had dropped so low but I remain quietly optimistic. It'd be great to have an in-form JPP avaiable but TBH him and Matfield aren't critical. My main concern is our kicking game oddly, both at goal and in general play. It's been a bit eratic and we need that to be on song in this play-off and/or any potential further matches.

matthew morgan is the little fullback but i can pretty much guarentee he will not be picked. theres no way gatland would risk him as the last line of defence in this game, your boys will smash 7 shades of Sh*t out of him lol

Reminds me of this:

[video]https://youtu.be/DXs5sA5LulY[/video]

I like Jenkins in open play but he's a liability in the scrum , we can't be giving needless pens to the boks, id much rather start with James to ensure a solid scrum

Going to be a very very tough encounter, Wales have shown some true grit this WC and are playing well.

We started off in the shakiest possible way but have still righted the ship somewhat, however we haven't played any serious contenders like the Welsh have. Last time we played the Welsh they also beat us in an arm wrestle type of match which this is likely going to be.

That said Wales are much more hit by injuries than we are, and I do think we can beat just about anyone if we perform.
Going to be tight, can't wait!

Wonder what our matchday 23 is going to look like. We'll probably not see many if any changes from the team that played vs the USA. Maybe JPP if he is fit. Matfield.. I wouldn't put him in ahead of either Etzebeth or De Jager but if he is fit then possibly I'd have him in over PSdT on the bench though I wouldn't know what type of match this will tur out to be. The pack has done what it is supposed to do and its been good to see our wings get some tries. Le Roux, Kriel and Pollard have yet to really inject themselves though. TBF it hasn't really been necessary for them to do so yet and we've been more sucessful spreading it wide. I suppose speculation is pointless until we see both line-ups. Its gonna be long wait.

Last edited:
Wonder what our matchday 23 is going to look like. We'll probably not see many if any changes from the team that played vs the USA. Maybe JPP if he is fit. Matfield.. I wouldn't put him in ahead of either Etzebeth or De Jager but if he is fit then possibly I'd have him in over PSdT on the bench though I wouldn't know what type of match this will tur out to be. The pack has done what it is supposed to do and its been good to see our wings get some tries. Le Roux, Kriel and Pollard have yet to really inject themselves though. TBF it hasn't really been necessary for them to do so yet. I suppose speculation is pointless until we see both line-ups. Its gonna be long wait.

Yeah, It's going to be agonising to wait so long.

I think you have pretty much nailed it on the head in terms of selection. Although, I'm a bit worried that Jannie Du Plessis might get a start ahead of Frans. Other than that, I think the 23 against USA will stay the same, with Adriaan Strauss returning ahead of Schalk Brits.

I will make a stinky pants if the coach goes and puts in Victor. This is going to be PHYSICAL....and that's one thing he can't do anymore.

I will make a stinky pants if the coach goes and puts in Victor. This is going to be PHYSICAL....and that's one thing he can't do anymore.

Heyneke is a very safe coach. He will rather go safe than be innovative with regards to selections or gameplan. So, i think Victor will start, and Lood will come off the bench.

I almost feel its a pity this game is not in Cardiff. Its so close, they might as well..

I almost feel its a pity this game is not in Cardiff. Its so close, they might as well..
The obvious reason both pool A teams are playing Qrts at Twickenham is that England were expected to finish 1st or 2nd and it would be somewhat embarrassing if the Home nation had to play a Qrt in a foreign land.

Great to see so many people predicting a Welsh win, I'd go with Wales by less than 10

Last edited:

Latest posts