• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Semi Final 2: Australia vs. Argentina (25/10/2015)

I can't call this game. Argentina to me have no weaknesses at all. Their defense is solid, they are strong at the breakdown, even stronger at set piece and their back three is potentially the best in the world (New Zealand's is neck and neck). Australia did seem vulnerable at the breakdown without Pocock there although he is meant to be back. The scrum may also be a worry after Scotland, especially with Sio potentially out. That said, I would not read too much into the Scotland game. They came out a bit flat - possibly complacent and off the boil. Take nothing away from the Scots who were immense but two of their tries were given on the platter and the other wasn't much less soft. The Wallabies have also shown they can scramble defend for their lives and against all odds stay in the game, like they did against Wales. This will be very tight and I just can't call it. Both teams can win the tournament from here but it will take some doing. The result could well be dependent on Pocock's injury, as they are different beast with him in the team.

Assuming Argentina suffer no losses this is a match that, given the current form of Argentina, if it was played three times, Australia would win two of them.

It is only played once though.

Fair call, i would say I would say a 60/40 split.

I can't see it. I want to, but doing my best to put my bias aside, i don't see it. I know everyone is beatable if they have an off day and we have a good day, but that just happened and i don't think it's realistic for that to happen again next weekend.
I am not happy about this felling as being ambitious is key to improving.
Ireland didn't have an off day mate. You just blew them completely off the park. It was just as impressive as New Zealand's demolition of France. I am seriously in awe of your back three. Imhoff and Tuculet are just immense and Cordero is like a throw back to Shane Williams. He really does things that other wings couldn't do if they played the game of their life.

23-19
19-25
14-13
17-54
25-32
21-17
9-34

Argentina vs Australia since 2012. 1 win. 5 close losses. 2 blowout losses.

Argentina with its current form can totally win this one. IMHO

Got to love it when it all comes together, Plan a trip of a lifetime 12 months in advance get lucky with Tickets.

Watch Australia beat Wales and Scotland live and now going to watch a World Cup Semi.

Wasn't lucky enough to get a Final Ticket but not complaining at all, if we win might nip down to the stadium on game day see what they are scalping for ;)

I can't call this game. Argentina to me have no weaknesses at all.

Well, it looks like you didnt watch that game. Pumas made a lot of turnovers, Herrera`s indiscipline (may be we need to add Nico Sanchez in that), etc and of course Ireland was a shadow.

Ireland didn't have an off day mate. You just blew them completely off the park. It was just as impressive as New Zealand's demolition of France. I am seriously in awe of your back three. Imhoff and Tuculet are just immense and Cordero is like a throw back to Shane Williams. He really does things that other wings couldn't do if they played the game of their life.

I didn't mean Ireland had an off day. I meant we had a good game and Australia had a bad one. We would need that to happen again, for both teams. My main worries are injuries, citations if any, and last but no least, Cordero's defense. He is amazing offensively but defensively he is a liability. Think he missed half the tackles he attempted. And with the ball in hand he also lost two that ended up costing us 10 points. There was this one in the first half were he went sideways in our own 10 yards, ball in one hand, taking unnecessary risks. He makes the kind of mistakes Australia could capitalize on.
The good news is he already made those mistakes and i'm sure he'll be having a long conversation with the coaching staff about them. Fingers crossed.

I can't call this game. Argentina to me have no weaknesses at all.

Well, it looks like you didnt watch that game. Pumas made a lot of turnovers, Herrera`s indiscipline (may be we need to add Nico Sanchez in that), etc and of course Ireland was a shadow.
Those are fixable things in my opinion and none of them are glaring weaknesses. What I'm essentially getting at is all of your core elements are in place and firing. You don't have a glaring weakness like South Africa's one dimensional attack is what I mean. Which means Sunday is going to be very tight.

Fair enough. But you must know what we the argies are thinking...."Of course we aim to go as far as much as possible in this World Cup, but the goal we have set is 2019."

Even though it has become the Rugby Championship 2015 Part 2 I still cant wait for both these matches, but especially this one. I really want Argentina to go on win the whole thing. I love their style of rugby and they are probably my favourite SH side at the moment. I hope they come out all guns blazin' again and score some early slick tries. Though I dont think this game will be as easy for them as it was Ireland. Theyre going to really need to fix their discipline.

Looking forward to seeing Bosch back at centre

No chances for Argentina, remember: we're the underdogs, the poor amateur side, from a corner of southamerica...

That's your story and you're sticking to it ... watch out, once everyone catches up with reality and stops talking about you as "dark horses" then the pressure becomes very different. If you don't believe me, ask an Irishman old enough to remember the early 90s!

I can't see it. I want to, but doing my best to put my bias aside, i don't see it. I know everyone is beatable if they have an off day and we have a good day, but that just happened and i don't think it's realistic for that to happen again next weekend.
I am not happy about this felling as being ambitious is key to improving.

The danger is Australia defend the wide channels better and Argentina don't have the same freedom - very likely I think, especially with Pocock back as his ruck work will 1) slow down the ball, giving the defence time to organise and 2) suck in forwards to clear him out, instead off ball-carrying/attracting defenders on the next phase.

Also if you have to go through 60 minutes camped in your own half without the ball against Australia, forget it, they will not let you get away with one try and a bunch of penalties. In that time they'll run up a proper score.

I didn't mean Ireland had an off day. I meant we had a good game and Australia had a bad one. We would need that to happen again, for both teams. My main worries are injuries, citations if any, and last but no least, Cordero's defense. He is amazing offensively but defensively he is a liability. Think he missed half the tackles he attempted. And with the ball in hand he also lost two that ended up costing us 10 points. There was this one in the first half were he went sideways in our own 10 yards, ball in one hand, taking unnecessary risks. He makes the kind of mistakes Australia could capitalize on.
The good news is he already made those mistakes and i'm sure he'll be having a long conversation with the coaching staff about them. Fingers crossed.

you are right about cordero's defense but i think he's so good attacking. . of course horacio agulla would be much safer bet.
i would go with cordero all the way. i didn't see him missing so many tackles certenly remember once. i think the wost part of his game were the decisions. like that lil kick on our 25. or that ball he lost. but all those things can and will be corrected.
hes is so young!! and hell you dont learn to run with the ball like that. you are born with it!.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/news/115778

Referee: Wayne Barnes

is that a bad news? :mellow:

I think he's been the best ref this WC, he talks to the players all of the time warning them if they step offside and he also plays the advantage better than most. He is also to be admired when he feels there may have been an infringement by allowing play to continue whilst symiltationly speaking with the TMO.
I'd be surprised if stats didn't show his style of game management leads to more phases and more ball in play time.

Would love to see Argentina in the final but i really dont think its going to happen. I mean, Argentina is a great team but imo Australia is just on another level in this WC and after that game against Scotland they know they will have to play way better to beat the Pumas and when the Wallabies are in the mood is hard to stop them.

Aussie will bring back Pocock and Folau and thoroughly Roger the Pumas something horrible.

- - - Updated - - -

I think he's been the best ref this WC, he talks to the players all of the time warning them if they step offside and he also plays the advantage better than most. He is also to be admired when he feels there may have been an infringement by allowing play to continue whilst symiltationly speaking with the TMO.
I'd be surprised if stats didn't show his style of game management leads to more phases and more ball in play time.

What a load of garbage, Wayne Barnes is a second rate referee, he is hopeless on judging the offside rule and i saw this first hand at Wembley when through four phases the Pumas were a metre offside in the backline and Barnes didn't look across to check, not even once. Any game he refs is stilted and dull. He has way too much influence with the whistle. I'd rather not watch a game he refs than sit through the whistle happy denouement of dull slow drudgery.
Wayne barnes is not worthy of carrying Nigel Owens luggage to the final that Owens should be granted, he is the stand out referee of the 2015 RWC.

Last edited:
I'm backing the Aussies, Argentina have been impressive especially with the outside backs. The Wallabies will bounce back from their scrappy performance against the Scots. I'm predicting a close one but I think we will see some points. On the other hand if Pocock is having a good night this could go down very different.

Latest posts