• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: England vs France (15/08/2015)

I think it is worth noting that that was probably the best French performance for a while. They looked very sharp, physical and keen to use the offloading game. The overall intensity and quality of rugby far outstripped the recent Irish warm ups, so in one respect, SL will be glad of a proper hit out as opposed to the farce at Mil Stad last week.

Couldn't agree more . Yesterday's game had a proper test match feeling and although we struggled in some parts the silkiness we had in the backs was awesome to see . Especially considering it was a 3rd team probably . Looks like 36 is doomed tbh . If Slade gets left out in favour of him I'll be extremely surprised . How many centres will Lancaster take ? There's 5 there at the moment will he just leave 1 out ?

Also I find it difficult to see how Burgess and Clarke got yellows for foul play but Kockott got away with it for his trip . I thought the refereeing was fairly poor all game . Although one or two decision went our way

Last edited:
I still don't get why Clark was yellowed?

Ok game of rugby. Nice to see both teams going for it. I can see SL taking burgess because his size was opening up spaces for the wingers.

Because they've been cracking down on any contact around the neck since the u20 JWC.

I think wood had a really good game around the park and bringing that dog back to his game.

Clarke didn't really look like an international 7, I don't know if it's positioning or pace but he didn't look like the Northampton player I watch week in week out.

Morgan looked off the pace but getting back up there.

Slade and burgess have to go to the World Cup, drop Burrell and 12trees.

I think wood had a really good game around the park and bringing that dog back to his game.

Clarke didn't really look like an international 7, I don't know if it's positioning or pace but he didn't look like the Northampton player I watch week in week out.

Morgan looked off the pace but getting back up there.

Slade and burgess have to go to the World Cup, drop Burrell and 12trees.

Certainly agree about Slade, and maybe Burgess too. Especially over 12trees and Burrell.
I agree about Clarke, but I also felt Wood added not much more either. Both seemed to have little impact on the game for me.

Don't forget at the WC we will have a completely different tight 5 and wood will have robshaw with him in the backrow, I think Morgan has to play again next week, it was his first international for a while so he did look pretty off the pace..

They need to find an excuse to grant an exception for Dylan Hartley. The point has been made regarding his discipline. Now is the time to win a World Cup in front of the home fans. Backs look good and will sort themselves out. Hooker is a liability.

Hooker is a liability.

Until Hartley can control his temper he's potentially the greatest liability we could field. Any sensible team will wind him up in an effort to have him see red. Twice.

Until Hartley can control his temper he's potentially the greatest liability we could field. Any sensible team will wind him up in an effort to have him see red. Twice.

Hartley may be the best in the world. Championships are won because of athletes. Points can be proven at other times. You make exceptions for the great ones in the great moments. Now is the time. He likely learned his lesson. I doubt anyone will be proud of losing because the best players were not on the field.

Hartley isn't that good in fact his recent performances have hardly been better than Youngs. More worried about our bench options he's not the kind of player you need to make exceptions for.

Hartley isn't that good in fact his recent performances have hardly been better than Youngs. More worried about our bench options he's not the kind of player you need to make exceptions for.

I don't think Youngs is on the level with Hartley. Hartley is the only one I have seen that keep pace with Dan Coles. They need his fire and aggression. I know that yesterday's game is not a true reflection of what we will see when the horses are in but the forward play yesterday was embarrassing.

Except most of those forwards were 3rd/4th choice including at Hooker.

Welcome to the forum ShonH, nice to have you here but you won't find too many agreeing with that assessment!

Hartley wasn't left out to make a point mind; he was left out because he'd have missed the opening game and that made cover for that game problematic (or so Lancaster says). It's a matter of practicality rather than principle.

However, in general, I find Hartley to be a very uninspiring player who has underperformed in an England shirt of late and, given his habit of losing his rag in the biggest games, I'm quite relieved he's not there.

Except most of those forwards were 3rd/4th choice including at Hooker.

Mako, Parling, Wood and Morgan are all second choice; Brookes is allegedly on the brink of unseating Wilson as well.

Other than lineout, what exactly does Hartley bring?
His carrying and scrummaging is average and his work at the ruck is poor.

Jamie George will play next weekend also, I really think this guy is all round as a Hooker better than youngs..

Mako, Parling, Wood and Morgan are all second choice; Brookes is allegedly on the brink of unseating Wilson as well.
Fair point I was generalising too much.

- - - Updated - - -

George I'm suspecting will be on the bench with Youngs starting. Provided he doesn't play like a turd like LCD did.

Welcome to the forum ShonH, nice to have you here but you won't find too many agreeing with that assessment!

Hartley wasn't left out to make a point mind; he was left out because he'd have missed the opening game and that made cover for that game problematic (or so Lancaster says). It's a matter of practicality rather than principle.

However, in general, I find Hartley to be a very uninspiring player who has underperformed in an England shirt of late and, given his habit of losing his rag in the biggest games, I'm quite relieved he's not there.

I hope you are correct. As stated above, I am aware that yesterday's game does not resemble the best lineup. With that being said, I personally would never have thought that there would be such a drop off on a WC squad from 1st to 2nd team. Hopefully we will get to see the forwards in more of a "Cup" mode this weekend. NZ will hang 50 if any of those guys get on the field.

I personally would never have thought that there would be such a drop off on a WC squad from 1st to 2nd team
Really? Look at Wales last week and Ireland this week - our seconds did pretty well compared.

Latest posts