• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Scotland

I would say the likely 23 is:

1 - Alasdair Dickinson, who has a really strong game in the loose and has looked much more steady in the tight recently
2 - Ross Ford, provided his throwing continues to be improved.
3 - Euan Murray, probably the only tighthead we have with a chance of dominating opposition scryms
4/5 - Gray Brothers. without Gilchrist there's no real question. Good balance
6 - Rob Harley
7 - Blair Cowan
8 - Dave Denton, actually very happy with the balance of that back row between worker, scavenger, carrier.
9 - Greig Laidlaw, probably stepping in at 10 later in games if Russell is subbed
10 - Finn Russell, the only out and out fly half in the squad
11 - Tommy Seymour
12/13 - Scott and Dunbar. Not really fussed which way round. they've looked good together with Scott 12 Dunbar 13 but actually play the opposite positions for their clubs when everyone's fit
14 - Sean Maitland
15 - Hogg

16 - Fraser Brown, I think he's the only other hooker in the squad. Puzzling one as he doesn't get much game time.
17 - Gordon Reid. Seems too early for Grant to be back. Court case can't be helping either
18 - Geoff Cross. Safe pair of hands
19 - Please, God, not Jim Hamilton
20 - Al Strokosh. Don't see why he continues to get picked when the killer Bs have all been frozen out. Shame that Ashe is injured
21 - Henry Pyrgos, good all-rounder. Hidalgo-Clyne has looked impressive recently though so you never know. Pyrgos' understanding with the mainly Warriors backline will probably see him swing it.
22 - Mark Bennett - may be too soon for him to start, plus as mentioned Dunbar and Scott have a good understanding. Expect to see a lot of him off the bench. Peter Horne may rotate with him in the 23 as he can cover 10
23 - Tim Visser, maybe Greig Tonks for a similar reason to Horne.

Apart from the front row, which I still feel is an Achille's heel, and the back row replacements, this is the happiest I've been with Scotland coming in to a Six Nations in years, in particular the back line. Comparing our centres now (I'd say any of them can cause real attacking problems for anyone in the tournament) with the succession of non-entities we've had in the last ten years is particularly warming.

First post by the way. Been lurking for a month or so and thought it was time to get involved!

A really surprising squad but not bad at all, Huge Blake is a real shock for me I've never saw him play, Hamish Watson is a really good player, looking forward to seeing him in a Scotland jersey. But somehow Jim Hamilton still finds a way to get into the squad but no Kelly Brown ?. But good I guess... looking forward to the six nations

A really surprising squad but not bad at all, Huge Blake is a real shock for me I've never saw him play, Hamish Watson is a really good player, looking forward to seeing him in a Scotland jersey. But somehow Jim Hamilton still finds a way to get into the squad but no Kelly Brown ?. But good I guess... looking forward to the six nations

Yeah first time in a long while I've been excited by the prospect. Watch us tank and get the wooden spoon now :p.

On Watson, I've heard good things. What position in the backrow does he usually play? And do you think he's going to be able to overtake Strokosh on the bench? Al's been a good and terrifying servant for Scotland over the years but he's in the Hamilton Lamont Cusiter camp now for me of guys who are preventing younger players gaining the experience they will need if they're called into the World Cup squad or 23.

We had Ben Toolis and his twin on loan I thought they were Aussie.

Yeah first time in a long while I've been excited by the prospect. Watch us tank and get the wooden spoon now :p.

On Watson, I've heard good things. What position in the backrow does he usually play? And do you think he's going to be able to overtake Strokosh on the bench? Al's been a good and terrifying servant for Scotland over the years but he's in the Hamilton Lamont Cusiter camp now for me of guys who are preventing younger players gaining the experience they will need if they're called into the World Cup squad or 23.
He usually play's seven but is capable off playing 6 or 8 as well I think. and I actually think that Watson can get on the bench ahead off Strokosch, he's strong in defence and his rucking is good too.

- - - Updated - - -

We had Ben Toolis and his twin on loan I thought they were Aussie.
They are from Australia but they qualify to play for Scotland through they're Scottish mother who is from Lanarkshire

Nice squad, should be well worth a win or two this 6 nations. Some very underrated players in Scott and Seymour. Hopefully with Seymour and Visser they have players who can take chances for them, against Argentina in the AI's you guys took every chance on offer and it really impressed me with so little time how dangerous you look under Cotter.

Team is looking good.

I am gutted by Kelly Brown and Barclay not making it. I would just like their experience in the camp during training and to help these young guns grow.

Jim needed to be brought in... he is really the only hard nose lock we have available right now. We don't need to use him though.

Team is looking good.

I am gutted by Kelly Brown and Barclay not making it. I would just like their experience in the camp during training and to help these young guns grow.

Jim needed to be brought in... he is really the only hard nose lock we have available right now. We don't need to use him though.
Al Kellock.....

Blair Cowan has been brilliant again this season and is a lot better than Brown IMO.

Blair Cowan has been brilliant again this season and is a lot better than Brown IMO.
To be fair with Harley at blindside and Cowan at openside with Denton or Ashe at no.8 I don't see how Brown can be selected over them as they are playing really well

BTW from the squad selected though this is the team i'd pick for the starting XV

1.) Dickinson
2.) Ford
3.) Cross
4.) R. Gray
5.) J. Gray
6.) Harley
7.) Cowan
8.) Denton
9.) Laidlaw
10.) Russell
11.) Visser
12.) Dunbar
13.) Scott
14.) Seymour
15.) Hogg

16.) Brown
17.) Reid
18.) Murray
19.) Toolis
20.) Watson
21.) Pyrgos
22.) Bennett
23.) Maitland

my reason for not starting bennett is because i dont know if he will be 100% fit for the six nations. But i worry that Hamilton might be the subbed second row but i hope not to see him feature in the scotland jersey again but i guess we might have to.

Casters Johnnie Beattie has been added to the squad after injuries dont know who he's replacing. But there are 9 players who could be missing in the scotland team which are as followed:
Dave Denton, Ben Toolis, Dougie Fife, Greig Tonks, Matt Scott, Rob Harley, Alasdair Strokosch, Alex Dunbar and Sean Maitland.

Last edited:
So you could have
Dickinson, Ford, Cross, Gray, Gray, Beattie, Cowan, Ashe, Laidlaw, Russell, Visser, Bennett, Lamont, Seymour, Hogg

So you could have
Dickinson, Ford, Cross, Gray, Gray, Beattie, Cowan, Ashe, Laidlaw, Russell, Visser, Bennett, Lamont, Seymour, Hogg
Not really. Ashe is injured and will miss the six nations which is a shame, he would have made a good impact in the Scottish back-row. It would more be like Beattie at 8 and Strokosch at 6 if the 9 injured players will miss the six nations but at the moment none has been confirmed bar one.

Shame I like to have to 8s in a backrow. Beattie is a really skillful player and he is a great ball handling guy. I wouldn't want him carrying into traffic though, so you need another big carrying presence like J Gray or another strong guy like Denton (injured) Ashe (injured) Harley who isn't that big a carrying guy. Maybe Wilson or Strauss ?

Shame I like to have to 8s in a backrow. Beattie is a really skillful player and he is a great ball handling guy. I wouldn't want him carrying into traffic though, so you need another big carrying presence like J Gray or another strong guy like Denton (injured) Ashe (injured) Harley who isn't that big a carrying guy. Maybe Wilson or Strauss ?
Strauss i dont even know if he is eligible to play for Scotland and Wilson is injured aswell even though the haven't really said if Denton injury will rule him out off the six nations totally.

Brown should be called up if the injuries happen.

So if all injured the Scottish pack could be ATM:
1.) Dickinson
2.) Ford
3.) Cross
4.) R. Gray
5.) J. Gray
6.) Cowan
7.) Watson
8.) Beattie

Brown should be called up if the injuries happen.

So if all injured the Scottish pack could be ATM:
1.) Dickinson
2.) Ford
3.) Cross
4.) R. Gray
5.) J. Gray
6.) Cowan
7.) Watson
8.) Beattie

That could still be a strong pack Watson has been on great form for Edinburgh and a good player or recently even Fraser Brown at 7 can be a good choice, he played really well there against Bath a strong tackler and a good in rucks too.

How about going for the double fetcher back row ?
1.Dickinson/ Grant
2.Ford/ MacArthur
3.Murray/ Cross
4.J Gray
5.R Gray/ Harley
6.Cowan
7.Barclay
8.Beattie

Latest posts