• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Wales vs Ireland (Round 4)

I think the calls for changes are because people want to put out a team that can run up a score against the Scots, not necessarily our best team.

I think the calls for changes are because people want to put out a team that can run up a score against the Scots, not necessarily our best team.

Understandable to some extent but Schmidt is better than that and don't do any such thing. The slam would have been nice, but the number of points you can put on Scotland isn't going to change in any way your team readiness for the world cup - it won't make you better prepared, and risks losing a game through carelessness, which is why I believe Schmidt would say only the win matters.

The media in the next few months won't reflect this but regardless who wins next weekend, England, Wales and Ireland are pretty close together and again, who wins the championship at this point won't alter that. Ireland are still the best positioned however and maybe Schmidt will relish the chance to go into the cup with a bit less pressure, following this loss.

I'm going to watch the game back but my impression at the time was that Barnes was overly tough for the first quarter with some of the more ridiculous penalties you will see being given... I think he softened up, and at times you could hear him say things like "he's ok , he's not in the way (referring to the tackler). This was all very well but seemed incongruous with earlier decisions when the player was penalised despite not interfering.

In short I do feel Wayne Barnes pulled the rug from beneath the players feet / moved the goalposts / whatever metaphor you want to use; but as @ratsapprentice has rightly said, this eventually led to a better game and in my opinion, the ends eventually justified the means.

Massive respect for Wales after that performance and bad luck to Ireland who I know will bounce back.

Last edited by a moderator:
The championship, if we do win it, would be nice, but it won't mean much to the players. Wales and England want it more than we do I think. Think ROG said yesterday that ireland will probably be happy to win the championship but they'll just be looking towards the RWC now.

The championship, if we do win it, would be nice, but it won't mean much to the players. Wales and England want it more than we do I think. Think ROG said yesterday that ireland will probably be happy to win the championship but they'll just be looking towards the RWC now.
I wouldn't be surprised if all camps are saying that by the end of the week, I think secretly all the players/coaching staff want to win the championship by putting in a complete performance Saturday. If they win by not they'll be slightly disappointed but still happy. Expect a lot of misdirection during the week.

I wouldn't be surprised if all camps are saying that by the end of the week, I think secretly all the players/coaching staff want to win the championship by putting in a complete performance Saturday. If they win by not they'll be slightly disappointed but still happy. Expect a lot of misdirection during the week.

Especially from the Welsh! Amazed Gatland hasn't released his team already...

To be fair, England, Ireland and Wales have all put in very strong performances this year. Couldn't argue with any one of them winning but the the lack of grand slam makes any world cup meetings a very exciting prospect. The Wales/England pool match is going to be absolutely electric! Regardless of points difference I think all three will want to make sure they leave the tournament with a good win to keep momentum and excitement going. Really looking forward to the pre-WC Ireland/Wales matchups also.

While I do think it is most likely that Schmidt will severely limit changes, if we think he's only looking to the RWC now there is a chance he will rotate as we'll be forced to send out a rotated side against teams playing their full strength team and got and get a win and maybe a tbp.

While I do think it is most likely that Schmidt will severely limit changes, if we think he's only looking to the RWC now there is a chance he will rotate as we'll be forced to send out a rotated side against teams playing their full strength team and got and get a win and maybe a tbp.

I think we're gonna see Healy start at the weekend anyway. Probably won't be any other changes.

Ireland need a points fiesta against Scotland to push passed England, and to hope the French have more fight in their bellies than they have shown through all their games put together this year.
Shaping up nicely for the RWC, Springboks are still favourites but he northern hemisphere teams are warming to the task.

To go out against Scotland I'd have the following team starting:

1. Cian Healy - McGrath is great but Healy needs to get back starting. He is a better ball carrier.
2. Rory Best -needs to be more consistent, but we haven't many other options, and SC is more of a bench player
3. Mike Ross -love him in the scrum but that's about it
4. Iain Henderson - he was our best player coming off the bench and one of our best overall at the weekend. Made a huge impact. Think he could be amazing if given the chance. While Toner is good in the lineout, I feel he hasn't got much else to offer, and we don't necessarily need a tall guy in the lineout.
5. POC
6. POM
7. Tommy O'Donnell - Sean O'Brien has done nothing this 6 nations - I just hope it's been steps in the right direction for him, but TOD has been outstanding when given the chance.
8. Jordi Murphy - I don't really take to Heaslip. Murphy is more exciting.
9. Murray
10. Sexton (or angry man as Jamie Roberts likes to call him)
11. Who knows but not Simon Zebo. Dave Kearney preferably or if Tommy Bowe can go there then him.
12. Henshaw
13. Fitzgerald
14. Bowe or Trimble (what is the story with him? is he still injured?)
15. Kearney

Obviously, this won't happen, that is why Joe is the coach and not me, but think this would give us more of an attacking game.

On that. Kearney is struggling to get in Leinster 23 and well Zebo has done everything as Schmidt layed out. Same regards Bowe. Trimble is fighting to be ready for RWC. If you change wingers fair enough but it's simply way they're been told play. As much as I'm a fan of Henderson, Toner has been superb and 1 bad game shouldn't see him dumped. Regards backrow it's hard to call. Can't be a major knee jerk reaction to 1 bad game.

Just on Scottish game too. We can't get too gung-ho as well our record is dodgy there so it's be best to win game first then throw the jugular but key is win game and leave ourselves a chance. I think Wales are slightly too far back and well England France can be a crazy game.

I agree. Is still wonder about Olding.
I'd like to see Henshaw/Earls or Fitz. Agree with RTE lads too that Nadigan should be left as a 12 and let him. I don't agree with Hook much but he's right. Payne isn't good enough to play 13 for Ulster so how do you say he's Ireland's best 13

Although if he'd being playing 15 on Sat we might well have won with a bit more creativity entering the line.

Probably the best 15 in Ireland (I predict much Kearnage from D4 over this but Kearney isn't great joining the line when its beyond a pre-set move.) but probably the 4th best 13. [Cave, Earls, Fitz]

Oh and congrats to the Welsh. Deserved it. Indeed, part of me welcomed it - the media coverage of this Irish team has verged on sickening over the past few weeks. Hopefully now they'll shut the f__k up when the team strings a few wins together.

Last edited:
Although if he'd being playing 15 on Sat we might well have won with a bit more creativity entering the line.

Probably the best 15 in Ireland (I predict much Kearnage from D4 over this but Kearney isn't great joining the line when its beyond a pre-set move.) but probably the 4th best 13. [Cave, Earls, Fitz]

Oh and congrats to the Welsh. Deserved it. Indeed, part of me welcomed it - the media coverage of this Irish team has verged on sickening over the past few weeks. Hopefully now they'll shut the f__k up when the team strings a few wins together.

I agree with you. He's a well rounded player with a superior attacking game. I wish we'd play him in his best position. He wasn't even the form 13 in the pro 12. Also a move like that could take the heat off Sexton as he delays/delivers passes so well when entering the line as a secondary playmaker.

@AmIga I fully agree. Payne is a different beast at 15. Genuine competition to Kearney and he should be left compete there. I'm not saying Payne isn't good enough to play international rugby but he's earned his call up playing 15 so that should be the spot he's competing for.

Last edited by a moderator:
On that. Kearney is struggling to get in Leinster 23 and well Zebo has done everything as Schmidt layed out. Same regards Bowe. Trimble is fighting to be ready for RWC. If you change wingers fair enough but it's simply way they're been told play. As much as I'm a fan of Henderson, Toner has been superb and 1 bad game shouldn't see him dumped. Regards backrow it's hard to call. Can't be a major knee jerk reaction to 1 bad game.

This is purely just what I'd be interested in seeing. A bit of variety. I'm happy with the team that's there at the moment, but would be interested to see what would happen with other players.

Could Rob Kearney go to the wing and move Payne to full back and Olding and Henshaw in the midfield? Would that work?

Latest posts