Versus%20Super.png
Highlanders.png

19:10 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Referee - Stuart Berry

AR1 - Jaco van Heerden

AR2 - Pro Legoete

TMO - Shaun Veldsman

Teams

Cheetahs: 15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Rayno Benjamin, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Michael van der Spuy, 11 Sergeal Petersen, 10 Francois Brummer, 9 Tian Meyer, 8 Willie Britz, 7 Boom Prinsloo, 6 Tienie Burger, 5 Francois Uys (captain), 4 Carl Wegner, 3 Maks van Dyk, 2 Torsten van Jaarsveld, 1 Danie Minnie

Substitutes: 16 Stephan Coetzee, 17 BG Uys, 18 Ewald van der Westhuizen, 19 Steven Sykes, 20 Carel Greeff, 21 Shaun Venter, 22 Coenie van Wyk, 23 Raymond Rhule

Highlanders: 15 Ben Smith (co-captain), 14 Ryan Tongia, 13 Malakai Fekitoa, 12 Richard Buckman, 11 Patrick Osborne, 10 Lima Sopoaga, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Nasi Manu (co-captain), 7 John Hardie, 6 Gareth Evans, 5 Mark Reddish, 4 Alex Ainley, 3 Josh Hohneck, 2 Liam Coltman, 1 Brendon Edmonds.

Substitutes: 16 Ash Dixon, 17 Daniel Lienert-Brown, 18 Ross Geldenhuys, 19 Tom Franklin, 20 Elliot Dixon, 21 Dan Pryor, 22 Fumiaki Tanaka, 23 Marty Banks

Last edited:
Highlanders strong first half, like always will establish a good enough lead to hold off a Cheetahs 2nd half pressure.

Ryan Tongia having a huge game in place of Naholo! Great 2nd try.. got up to watch Sopoaga earn his AB jersey as well, we must pick him.

What a slaughter, Blommetjies had a shocker and we are scoring some of the tries of the season. Cheetahs need Le Roux. Sopoaga will definitely get an AB jersey.

Superb performance from the Highlanders!
Just looked a bit disorganized for 5 minutes when they conceded the 3 tries but what a great team this is.

I hope this game is on the tube soon sounds like the highlanders gave them a clinic in the chip through and over.

I think they need to select Naholo simply to keep Jane on his toes. If Jane has another episode like last year against England we have a gen option to replace him which we didnt seem to during that series.

I think they need to select Naholo simply to keep Jane on his toes. If Jane has another episode like last year against England we have a gen option to replace him which we didnt seem to during that series.

All the talk is around Lowe. If Piutua can stay fit for 5 minutes I'd take him. But Lowe and Naholo definitely deserve the look in. Must admit, Hosea is looking alright as well.

This post was actually meant to be in the WC player selection thread...

Piutau is a waste of time. Theres just simply no need to select him he's not going to be around next year why waste time on him when there are probably 2 or 3 others who are proven and probably better in that wing position where he would most likely get game time? Naholo is another Sivivatu in the making and we need that.

We are going to loose enough players for next year without compounding that down the line by taking players to the WC who were good 2 or 3 years ago.

The only wiff id give Piutau is on standby if Dagg or Smith goes down with injury otherwise he's just not required. And Milner Skudder is better than him anyway from what iv seen.

This post was actually meant to be in the WC player selection thread...

Piutau is a waste of time. Theres just simply no need to select him he's not going to be around next year why waste time on him when there are probably 2 or 3 others who are proven and probably better in that wing position where he would most likely get game time? Naholo is another Sivivatu in the making and we need that.

We are going to loose enough players for next year without compounding that down the line by taking players to the WC who were good 2 or 3 years ago.

The only wiff id give Piutau is on standby if Dagg or Smith goes down with injury otherwise he's just not required. And Milner Skudder is better than him anyway from what iv seen.

Piutau can cover fullback as well and if you had that attitude towards players leaving, why take Carter, Slade, Conrad Smith? Piutau is an excellent player as well, have you forgot how good he was on tour in 2013? He's better than Dagg IMO who hasn't touched the ball this year. So yes, I'd take Piutau in place of Dagg if he remains uninjured. Naholo is set to be leaving to France as well, so not quite sure what your argument is here. Don't select a player because they're leaving? Then in that case we can't select Naholo.

Piutau can cover fullback as well and if you had that attitude towards players leaving, why take Carter, Slade, Conrad Smith? Piutau is an excellent player as well, have you forgot how good he was on tour in 2013? He's better than Dagg IMO who hasn't touched the ball this year. So yes, I'd take Piutau in place of Dagg if he remains uninjured. Naholo is set to be leaving to France as well, so not quite sure what your argument is here. Don't select a player because they're leaving? Then in that case we can't select Naholo.

Actually it looks like Naholo is set to stay - which is a lovely turn of events.

I tend to agree that it would be better to invest in guys (especially when they're not starters) who have plans to stick around in New Zealand. If Piatau was such an obvious selection then maybe you'd go ahead and select him, but to be honest there are plenty of outside backs in just as good if not better form.

Actually it looks like Naholo is set to stay - which is a lovely turn of events.

I tend to agree that it would be better to invest in guys (especially when they're not starters) who have plans to stick around in New Zealand. If Piatau was such an obvious selection then maybe you'd go ahead and select him, but to be honest there are plenty of outside backs in just as good if not better form.

I read that earlier, but how certain is it? Piutau unlikely to go anyway. Smith and Skuds can cover fullback. I'd love to see Naholo stick around, he's a try scoring machine.

Great news about naholo, hope it gets confirmed

Sopanga is the reason we're having a good season, everyone else is feeding off him

Also, have to throw some credit at reddish, for someone new to the team he is firmly a starter for me, always gives 100%, will be happy for him to stay around

Minor point, but there are guys who are having a wonderful season on an individual level that you could stick in any team. Fekitoa, Aaron Smith, Ben Smith, Naholo, but even Gareth Evans is somebody who I've noticed a lot. A. Smith's snipes from the base and unrivaled pace at halfback in this country is nothing to do with Sopoaga for example. But I agree, he's having an awesome season and clearly future All Black material if he keeps this up. Maybe even this year if we get struck with injuries. There have been good number 10's down south in the past like Nick Evans, but to be turning up these kind of results is down to a few different factors imo.

Looks like the Naholo thing is all but confirmed. French media are reporting that Clermont agreed to an early release. Although French media have been known to blatantly make things up, and the 'Landers have still not been contacted about it. But reports are definitely coming out about it. http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-stay-with-highlanders-in-new-zealand--report

Last edited:
As a Highlander fan I don't think Gareth Evans is a player I want. I think he plays way too loose and doesn't get stuck in the tight and also isn't really an enforcer. I much prefer Elliot Dixon. His game compliments Nasi Manu's really nicely. And Jordan Taufua is a better pick at 6.

Not too sure about Reddish IMO, I've read some stuff from Hurricanes that they let him go cos he wasn't any good. Haven't followed his work closely.

Latest posts