• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Super Rugby] Highlanders v Hurricanes (Round 6)

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Figured I'd better get a thread up to facilitate discussion!

Figured I'd better get a thread up to facilitate discussion!

Well done ... here's the team line ups

Highlanders vs Hurricanes

Brendan Edmonds 1 Reggie Goodes
Liam Coltman 2 Motu Matu'u
Josh Hohneck 3 Ben Franks
Tom Franklin 4 Jeremy Thrush
Joe Wheeler 5 Blade Thomson
Elliot Dixon 6 Brad Shields
Daniel Pryor 7 Ardie Savea
Nasi Manu 8 Victor Vito
Aaron Smith 9 TJ Perenara
Lima Sopoaga 10 Beauden Barrett
Patrick Osborne 11 Julian Savea
Shaun Treeby 12 Ma'a Nonu
Malakai Fekitoa 13 Conrad Smith
Waisake Naholo 14 Cory Jane
Ben Smith 15 Nehe Milner-Skudder

Reserves

Ash Dixon 16 Brayden Mitchell
Daniel Leniert-Brown 17 Ben May
Piginala Talaapitaga 18 Chris Eves
Mark Reddish 19 Mark Abbott
Gareth Evans 20 Callum Gibbins
Fumiaki Tanaka 21 Chris Smylie
Marty Banks 22 Reynold Lee-Lo
Jason Emery 23 James Marshall

... Highlanders by 2, cause they are at home ... remember, you heard it here first :)

Last edited:
A Smith doing a good impression of a headless chicken as usual at the start of this game....

Franks is getting rather upset with his HL opposite who is actually doing quite well to my surprise.

Is that Reggie Goodes?

Crazy penalty against the highlanders for 3-13 What in the world did the Ref see to penalise Naholo there?

- - - Updated - - -

A Smith should of been subbed ages ago he's been frikin woefull!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thats the game hurricanes scored.... Wow I have to say the Canes defence in the last 15-20minutes was really up there with about the best iv seen.

- - - Updated - - -

@#$^&@ this ref Marginal on that forward pass at best. Crickey HL could of won this!!

wow... 5 out of 5...

Canes defense this season has been amazing!!! that must be why they are top! the previous years it was all attack and no defense! you score 1 we will score 2...

Plumtree!

I hate being this guy and will prob regret it...but...we were robbed, I don't know what the ref saw with the naholo penalty and the last one was line ball at worst, I think a draw would have been fair

Woke up right at the end (hey, it was after 4 am here!) and saw the last bit. Tough go for the Landers. I have to watch the entire match to get a sense of whether the draw would have been a better assessment of the overall game, but my guess is that the Canes are just the team to beat this season. Something's working for them, that's for sure.

das

The most annoying thing about the ref wasn't even the bad calls.

There were at least 2 or 3 time where someone from either teAm infrindged but the ball did actually make its way back to the correct side...should be play on. Technically he's right I guess but that is a perfect chance to let the game keep flowing

The most annoying thing about the ref wasn't even the bad calls.

There were at least 2 or 3 time where someone from either teAm infrindged but the ball did actually make its way back to the correct side...should be play on. Technically he's right I guess but that is a perfect chance to let the game keep flowing

I disagree with this - especially when it's something that Justin Marshall trumpets on about.

Holding onto the ball at the ruck prevents a quick turnover - think about how many tries are scored on the counter attack. If players prevent quick release they're seriously impacting the defending team's ability to counter, which is why the advantage is awarded.

I thought both teams were very poor, to be honest. There were a huge number of handling errors, the Highlanders have been make them all season and it's a wee bit concerning. The Hurricanes seemed to catch the dropsies from them as well. There's been a fair bit of talk about the Hurricanes defence but by God the Highlanders attack when they use their forwards is absolutely useless. They set a ruck, wait five seconds then pass the ball to a one off runner a meter or two away from the ruck. What do they expect is going to happen? They don't build up any moment or anything, it's completely ineffective. If they were using pods of attackers of just picking and going they'd have a lot more success. The Hurricanes didn't have to do much to defend at all, it was only when the ball was spread out to the backs that the Highlanders gained any ground and to be honest they only really looked dangerous on the counter attack (which is why it's so important than players release the ball on the ground...). Just my thoughts!

I disagree with this - especially when it's something that Justin Marshall trumpets on about.

Holding onto the ball at the ruck prevents a quick turnover - think about how many tries are scored on the counter attack. If players prevent quick release they're seriously impacting the defending team's ability to counter, which is why the advantage is awarded.

I thought both teams were very poor, to be honest. There were a huge number of handling errors, the Highlanders have been make them all season and it's a wee bit concerning. The Hurricanes seemed to catch the dropsies from them as well. There's been a fair bit of talk about the Hurricanes defence but by God the Highlanders attack when they use their forwards is absolutely useless. They set a ruck, wait five seconds then pass the ball to a one off runner a meter or two away from the ruck. What do they expect is going to happen? They don't build up any moment or anything, it's completely ineffective. If they were using pods of attackers of just picking and going they'd have a lot more success. The Hurricanes didn't have to do much to defend at all, it was only when the ball was spread out to the backs that the Highlanders gained any ground and to be honest they only really looked dangerous on the counter attack (which is why it's so important than players release the ball on the ground...). Just my thoughts!

Agree with all of this.

I'm not sure how people are getting annoyed at the ruling against the forward pass. It was obviously forward to the point that it was called almost as soon as it happened. It wasn't marginal at all, and even if it was its still forward.

I actually thought the referee had a pretty good game. And yeah, Justin Marshall talking out his ass in commentary doesn't help anything. You infringe get get penalized unless the team has gained advantage. The fact that it was turnover ball that was slowed down is exactly why it went back for a penalty..

It was not forward.. And the Ref was **** end of story.

http://gfycat.com/UnlawfulHeftyHerald

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg

In NO way was that a forward pass. I dont know how anybody can say it was forward.

Again incompetent refereeing at its best....

Which goes to show you don't know what the ***** your talking about.

What the Total Rugby video demonstrates (I didn't bother with the article but assume it is the same thing) is what is called relative velocity. So the ball will travel at a consistent rate with the forward motion of the player. That is why 'pass backwards' out of the hands has become the new way of officiating, because it takes into account the forward mortion of the player, ever when they suddenly stop in contact so it looks as if the pass drifts forwards relative to the players sudden stop.

Now if you look at 1:37:50, Jason Emery receives the ball with no momentum and begins to run laterally before throwing the pass. It very obviously came forward out of his hands, and he had no forward momentum to justify the ball drifting the 3 or so metres forward it did.

Again incompetent pundits at their best....

Last edited by a moderator:
Which goes to show you don't know what the ***** your talking about.

What the Total Rugby video demonstrates (I didn't bother with the article but assume it is the same thing) is what is called relative velocity. So the ball will travel at a consistent rate with the forward motion of the player. That is why 'pass backwards' out of the hands has become the new way of officiating, because it takes into account the forward mortion of the player, ever when they suddenly stop in contact so it looks as if the pass drifts forwards relative to the players sudden stop.

Now if you look at 1:37:50, Jason Emery receives the ball with no momentum and begins to run laterally before throwing the pass. It very obviously came forward out of his hands, and he had no forward momentum to justify the ball drifting the 3 or so metres forward it did.

Again incompetent pundits at their best....

Just because he's traveling laterally (diagonally!!!) doesnt make any difference he had forward momentum and the ball had the same forward momentum just because there is a slightest pause of the player in the motion of the pass makes no difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was clearly forward (not significantly, but still clearly), in my opinion.

Yes, you have to take into consideration momentum and normally the direction of the hands is very telling. But this is a bit different because the ball actually slips out of hands, it's a handling error more than a forward pass, which is why it doesn't actually go directly to any players. The ball has travelled out of his hands forward, but it's not Emery's forward momentum that causes this.

One of the penalties given against us, Edmonds enters legally...goes for the ball...drops onto his elbows whilst hands are on the ball...he releases the ball and let's it go to the canes...gets pinged

Yes, technically he was not supporting his weight but come on, no room for mistakes, watching everyone stand around waiting for a penalty kick is much better than play on

And don't get me started on penalties for rolling out the wrong side of the maul, basically the tackler is never allowed to try and roll the ball carrier in the tackle because he'll always end up in the wrong side

There are far to many penalties for players not getting out of the maul, tacklers getting pinned by the next group of players, somehow expected to teleport themselves out

Last edited:
One of the penalties given against us, Edmonds enters legally...goes for the ball...drops onto his elbows whilst hands are on the ball...he releases the ball and let's it go to the canes...gets pinged

Yes, technically he was not supporting his weight but come on, no room for mistakes, watching everyone stand around waiting for a penalty kick is much better than play on

And don't get me started on penalties for rolling out the wrong side of the maul, basically the tackler is never allowed to try and roll the ball carrier in the tackle because he'll always end up in the wrong side

There are far to many penalties for players not getting out of the maul, tacklers getting pinned by the next group of players, somehow expected to teleport themselves out

1:11.30 in the above video is the one that got me. Penalty because the canes played on from a clearance kick before the lineout formed, Savea got tackled was isolated and Naholo stole the ball perfectly legally?? WTF is going on here!? What in the world did the ref see there? I see the onscreen discription was tackler not releasing well **** me Naholo wasnt even the tackler and this was clearly obvious to all and sundry!

Last edited:
Just because he's traveling laterally (diagonally!!!) doesnt make any difference he had forward momentum and the ball had the same forward momentum just because there is a slightest pause of the player in the motion of the pass makes no difference.

Nope, his passing motion is forward not backwards... momentum only really comes into the equation if the passing motion is backwards which it clearly isn't.

Latest posts