• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Super Rugby] New Zealand Squads/Pre-season Discussion

That would be a very good signing for the Highlanders. He'd be straight into the starting XV for me.

The Highlanders signing of Banks, Ainley, and Naholo have been confirmed (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/10644108/Highlanders-add-more-to-their-Tasman-stocks). I'm very happy with 2/3 signings! I'm not sure whether I would be rushing Banks straight into the starting XV - Sopoaga had a very good year for us last season - but he will certainly be a starting option (I would have him on the bench initially covering 10 and 15).

Ryan Tongia is apparently also in talks with the Highlanders, and he too would be a handy signing, while big Willis Halaholo has been linked with the Hurricanes...

Ohhh great. Well done Hurricanes. We lose Marty Banks...

We better sign Otere Black...

Why are the Hurricanes so sh*t at keeping and signing decent players?!

Halaholo is alright mind you...

The Highlanders signing of Banks, Ainley, and Naholo have been confirmed (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/10644108/Highlanders-add-more-to-their-Tasman-stocks). I'm very happy with 2/3 signings! I'm not sure whether I would be rushing Banks straight into the starting XV - Sopoaga had a very good year for us last season - but he will certainly be a starting option (I would have him on the bench initially covering 10 and 15).

Ryan Tongia is apparently also in talks with the Highlanders, and he too would be a handy signing, while big Willis Halaholo has been linked with the Hurricanes...

Honestly I think Banks is a good enough player to starting for the Highlanders right from the get go. Perhaps give Sopoaga the 10 jersey to start with as he is the incumbent, but by the end of the season I'm looking forward to seeing a lineup of:

1 Hames
2 Dixon
3 Fia
4 Franklin
5 Wheeler
6 Dixon
7 Christie
8 Manu
9 Smith
10 Banks
11 Osborne
12 Sopoaga/Treeby
13 Fekitoa
14 Buckman
15 Smith
16 Coltman
17 Edmonds
18 Hohneck
19 Reddish
20 Evans
21 Tanaka
22 Sopoaga/Treeby
23 Naholo

Sounds like Fruean could be heading back to the Crusaders too.

Last edited:
Ohhh great. Well done Hurricanes. We lose Marty Banks...

We better sign Otere Black...

Why are the Hurricanes so sh*t at keeping and signing decent players?!

Halaholo is alright mind you...

Because for some reason average Wellington players get picked over decent players from feeder clubs...

Banks was given precious little opportunities to play for the Hurricanes (from memory he was used a little bit at fullback..), but I agree he has everything needed to start for a Super Rugby team and do well.

Because for some reason average Wellington players get picked over average players from other feeder clubs...

I don't care about the average players from feeder clubs, I'm upset about losing the promising ones.

Chris Boyd is going to be sooooooo sh*t for the Hurricanes. I genuinely think the entire franchise needs to be held accountable for being so poorly run.

Last edited:
I apologise, that was a typo. It was meant to say average Wellington players get picked over decent players from feeder clubs.

I don't care who's in charge, so long as the Canes finally deliver on their potential. How we can be consistently inconsistent no matter who's in charge or who's in the team defies belief.

Chris Boyd deserves fans to have an open mind about him.

I did have an open mind about him. I have had an open mind with his involvement in the Lions since 2003, his subsequent role with the Sharks, his taking over head coach of the Lions and his work with the U20s. What he has in common with all those teams is that fact they have never won anything while he has been with them (despite simply having some of the best players on offer). The U20s had their worst season ever under him (at home), and so now have the Lions (who lost 9 games in a row and are now relegated to the championship!!!). I genuinely can't work out how he has been involved in so many losses and still has a job? I don't even know how he got a job to begin with - it's not as if he turned Tawa rugby into some club rugby dynasty.

Honestly I think Banks is a good enough player to starting for the Highlanders right from the get go. Perhaps give Sopoaga the 10 jersey to start with as he is the incumbent, but by the end of the season I'm looking forward to seeing a lineup of:

1 Hames
2 Dixon
3 Fia
4 Franklin
5 Wheeler
6 Dixon
7 Christie
8 Manu
9 Smith
10 Banks
11 Osborne
12 Sopoaga/Treeby
13 Fekitoa
14 Buckman
15 Smith
16 Coltman
17 Edmonds
18 Hohneck
19 Reddish
20 Evans
21 Tanaka
22 Sopoaga/Treeby
23 Naholo

Sounds like Fruean could be heading back to the Crusaders too.

The main thing going against Banks at this stage is that he is unproven at Super Rugby level. While I agree he has the potential to be a good Super Rugby player, many players take some time to make the step up (and some fail to make it altogether). The key thing for the Highlanders this season is having there first-five defending up in the line. Last season the tried to hide Sopoaga at fullback/on the wing, which resulted in (a) Sopoaga struggling with the positional/defensive requirements of wing/fullback, and (b) the best counter-attacking fullback in world rugby not being in a position to counter-attack as he was defending up in the line!

The frustrating thing about Sopoaga is that he can tackle when he wants to. He just often choses not to (ala Quade Cooper). Parker is a courageous defender, but his size counts against him (he's still better than Sopoaga). Banks isn't perfect on defense, but would certainly be our best defensive option at 10. He would probably only be our 3rd best goal-kicker, though that says a lot more about the quality of Sopoaga and Parker in this area....

I agree with the majority of that 23 suggested by Mr Fish. I would prefer Evans over Dixon at 6 (to give us some more presence at the breakdown, but Joseph does love Dixon). Perhaps there would be a case for Dan Pryor on the bench, as his pace could be a real asset in the last 20 minutes. I would also find a place for Geldenhuys, if only on the bench.

If Sopoaga is selected at 12 we will be in big trouble IMO. Treeby is a bit limited, but is solid. Potentially the most exciting combination would be 12. Fekitoa, 13. Emery. Obviously there would be issues on defense with this combination (though this could be somewhat alleviated by using Buckman in the midfield on defense), but the have serious attacking potential. Speaking of the mighty Barracuda.... I would love to see him in the midfield this season. Imagine how intimidating our defense would be with him at 12 and Fekitoa at 13! We could then start Naholo and Osbourne on the wings - certainly high risk, but high reward too....

Last edited:
Banks was given precious little opportunities to play for the Hurricanes (from memory he was used a little bit at fullback..), but I agree he has everything needed to start for a Super Rugby team and do well.

I don't care about the average players from feeder clubs, I'm upset about losing the promising ones.

Chris Boyd is going to be sooooooo sh*t for the Hurricanes. I genuinely think the entire franchise needs to be held accountable for being so poorly run.

I wonder if Boyd's plans to include Otere Black in the WTS have changed now that Banks is moving. Perhaps he'll get bumped up to a full contract?

Alternatively, Marty McKenzie still remains unsigned. He has a similar style of play to Barrett so would be a good fill in, plus with Woodward on the field his poor goal kicking won't be an issue.

The Hurricanes should be able to field a good team next season - in fact all teams should.

1 Franks
2 Coles
3 Toomaga-Allen
4 Thrush
5 Broadhurst
6 Shields
7 Savea
8 Vito
9 Perenara
10 Barrett
11 Savea
12 Nonu
13 Smith
14 Jane
15 Woodward
16 Matu'u
17 Schwalger
18 Goodes
19 Abbott
20 Thomson
21 Smylie?
22 Black/McKenzie
23 Milner-Skudder

They can't really afford any front row injuries, however.

Last edited:
Rumour has it that both Manawatu 10's will be involved with the Canes this season....( perhaps Te Rure will only be in the wtg).

The fulls squads are announced next week I believe (wednesday?).

1 Franks
2 Coles
3 Toomaga-Allen
4 Thrush
5 Broadhurst
6 Shields
7 Savea
8 Vito
9 Perenara
10 Barrett
11 Savea
12 Nonu
13 Smith
14 Jane
15 Woodward
16 Matu'u
17 Schwalger
18 Goodes
19 Abbott
20 Thomson
21 Smylie?
22 Black/McKenzie
23 Milner-Skudder

They can't really afford any front row injuries, however.

All things considered that is a very handy squad. But as you mention we can't really afford many front row injuries, and there are still plenty of quality players we can pick up that are unsigned.

Very much hoping Black gets picked up.

Rumour has it that both Manawatu 10's will be involved with the Canes this season....( perhaps Te Rure will only be in the wtg).

The fulls squads are announced next week I believe (wednesday?).

What I read earlier is that Black would be in the WTS and Te Rure would be in a new group, one level down from the WTS.

Last edited:
Oh man halaholo is too good to be sitting in the reserves for the hurricanes

Oh man halaholo is too good to be sitting in the reserves for the hurricanes

Which team would he start for though? The Chiefs just picked up Setareki Tamanivalu who is a very similar and IMO equally good player - to go with their massive centre lineup. Ironically the only teams where he would have a shout is maybe the Blues (where he seemed to burn a few bridges) and even then I don't see him as their first choice for starter.

Halaholo is certainly a talent - and undoubtedly warrants a Super Rugby contract IMO - but he's still very raw (even at ITM Cup level). I'm not sure he is ready to start at Super Rugby level (yet), as he's still got a lot of work to do on defense (particularly positionally), and his distribution is still a work in progress. Has it been confirmed that he is going to the Canes?

canes taking it next year...

man ive been saying that every year since 1995...

canes taking it next year...

man ive been saying that every year since 1995...

If we even made the playoffs I'd be astounded.

Halaholo is certainly a talent - and undoubtedly warrants a Super Rugby contract IMO - but he's still very raw (even at ITM Cup level). I'm not sure he is ready to start at Super Rugby level (yet), as he's still got a lot of work to do on defense (particularly positionally), and his distribution is still a work in progress. Has it been confirmed that he is going to the Canes?

I haven't been able to find any confirmation.

Latest posts