Versus%20Super.png
Chiefs.png

Venue : AAMI Park, Melbourne
Kick Off local: 19:40 local, 21:40 NZST, 11:40 SAST
Referee: Andrew Lees
Assistant Ref 1:Angus Gardner
Assistant Ref 2:James Leckie
TMO : Ian Smith

Here are the teams ... the Rebels have shown that they aren't the easy beats of previous years, I'm going with the Chiefs, but not by much

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16016_46357,00.html

Rebels v Chiefs

Rebels: 15 Mike Harris, 14 Dom Shipperley, 13 Tamati Ellison, 12 Mitch Inman, 11 Sefanaia Naivalu, 10 Jack Debreczeni, 9 Nic Stirzaker, 8 Scott Higginbotham (c), 7 Jordy Reid, 6 Sean McMahon, 5 Lopeti Timani, 4 Luke Jones, 3 Paul Alo-Emile, 2 Pat Leafa, 1 Toby Smith.
Replacements: 16 Tom Sexton, 17 Cruze Ah-Nau, 18 Tim Metcher, 19 Cadeyrn Neville, 20 Colby Fainga'a, 21 Luke Burgess, 22 Tom English, 23 Bryce Hegarty.

Chiefs: 15 Tom Marshall, 14 Tim Nanai-Williams, 13 Charlie Ngatai, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 James Lowe, 10 Andrew Horrell, 9 Brad Weber, 8 Michael Leitch, 7 Sam Cane, 6 Liam Messam (c), 5 Mike Fitzgerald, 4 Matt Symons, 3 Ben Tameifuna, 2 Hika Elliot, 1 Pauliasi Manu.
Replacements: 16 Quentin MacDonald, 17 Siate Tokolahi, 18 Jamie Mackintosh, 19 Michael Allardice, 20 Johan Bardoul, 21 Augustine Pulu, 22 Damian McKenzie, 23 Bryce Heem.

Interesting that they've gone for Horrell. They've basically said they want to see what each player (Horrell, McKenzie, McKenzie) offers after a week training at ten. To be honest I'd rather they threw Damian in there and just let him notch up some games before they come up against the Hurricanes in a couple of weeks.

Retallick's injury is inconvenient, but Fitzgerald and Symons are both very good operators at this level. It's disappointing to see Graham out with a head injury - he was starting to look very good. That being said, Manu is a fine player.

I'll be there tonight, looking forward to it. hope the Rebels can notch up a much needed home win and their first ever against the Chiefs. Expecting a massive Chiefs following too, the last time they played in Melbourne, the crowd was a few thousand more than normal.

Even without big retallick, kerr-barlow and cruden the Chiefs cannot be sneezed at, they're my fav kiwi team. I see they are giving each of horrell a go at 10 but I think Marty Mc was a bit stiff as he had a decent game against the force last week.

Rebels have had a good season so far but I expect the chiefs to grab this one home. Might be an ugly game thou, but a win is a win.

What kind of awful call was the to rule out the Chiefs first try? There was no truck and trailer or anything of the sort.

I understand the yellow card for the knee, but I really hope they get back to penalising players holding on to defenders because it's been creeping back into the game since they stopped enforcing that rule.

The ref has handed the game to the rebels it will be very difficult for the Chiefs ! This is a clear obstruction

I can't believe it. HUGE victory of Rebels

Blimmey, last minute decider. Pity we lost but the Rebels were the better team. Congrats. And better luck next week.

Nice job Rebels. The defensive effort was unbelievable towards the end, from both sides.

However, I do think this off the ball stuff, despite the tougher rugby laws this year, is still pervasive. I'm sorry but that Chiefs lock was obstructed all day long. You could make an argument I guess that he probably couldn't have caught that backline player, but he should at least have a clear path and a clear opportunity. He didn't have that. Didn't see the yellow card either, but sounds a bit dodgy.

Unfortunately this isn't the first time the referees have had a poor showing that has gone against one of our teams. The Blues trip to NSW for example.

And another nothing yellow colour me surprised.... I ask what is wrong with a warning in that instance? And if the yellow has to be given then there HAS to be two of them!!! Those refs should be strung up for that performance.

Last edited:

Latest posts