• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Highlanders vs. Sharks (Round 9) 22/04/2016

Ahhh so close. Epic match though. If the Sharks scrum hadnt got up over us in the second half id really be spewing over this and the ref.

Some relief finally for the Sharks. Very happy with result bout time the defence won us a game.

Some relief finally for the Sharks. Very happy with result bout time the defence won us a game.

I was fairly impressed with the Sharks at stages of this match (at other stages they just looked as dumb as can be). They do kinda look like they could be becoming a real force again. Just relying on strangling teams is not going to work though (unless they only have 14 men on the field).

Highlanders were shafted.

A blatant tip tackle on Ben Smith in the 76th minute completely missed by all the officials; it was at least as bad as the tip tackle he himself was binned for in the RWC final. Add to that the fact that the Sharks backs were offside at every defensive ruck for the last 10 minutes, and I think they have escaped with a win they didn't really deserve.

A blatant tip tackle on Ben Smith in the 76th minute completely missed by all the officials; it was at least as bad as the tip tackle he himself was binned for in the RWC final. Add to that the fact that the Sharks backs were offside at every defensive ruck for the last 10 minutes, and I think they have escaped with a win they didn't really deserve.

I was going to blow up about all this.... but I figured id leave it be for this match.

Im just ****** that this game could really be the difference in the HL season. I reckon they are either just going to scrape into the finals or just not.

Last edited:
Gutted....really thought we going to get there

Actually thought the ref was pretty good apart from the last 10 where he seemed to have decided who was going to win

Spotted that tip on smith,was waiting for the whistle...also though the "knock on" by Aaron at the back of the maul was going to be a penalty to us

Finally, no one mentioned it so I doubt it will be spotted but Coltman got neck rolled in back play right after he came on

I didn't see any of the match, my mate reckons Keegan Daniels has to be cited. Apparently had a Landers player around the neck and slammed the guy to the ground.

Sopoaga had a chance to win it with the drop goal and missed so the Landers can't say they didn't have their chances... he was very lucky not to get yellow carded for that shoulder charge in the first few minutes as well...

...Ben Smith on the other hand was awesome as always but can't be expected to win the game by himself

...and what a safe pair of hands the Sharks have in Willie Le Roux although I liked him better playing for the Cheetahs...virtually indestructible at fullback, surviving a really nasty fall like that and landing on his neck from a great height would have killed lesser mortals... he's a real class act - one of SA's best

Highlanders have shot themselves in the foot the last 2 games and tried to run a race. Too many injuries piling up for them and stupid decision making and some average team selections from Josef have more than likely just killed their season, the officials haven't helped, but you need to play past that. Josefs departure might be a good thing.

The ref was so awful, missed so many things(both ways). But we will take the win. I thought Garth April had a good first outing scoring all of The Sharks points and seemed to get our backline going at times. Sithole should've started ahead of Grandpa Ndungane. Jean Deysel is back!!! Had a massive outing!

But our gameplan is the most useless, reminds me of the Stormers one a few years ago except they were winning. Gary Gold should please leave ASAP!

Its good to see Sharks supporters out. We have few enough of you fellows active on here.

I feel your guys' pain. Like @kusta said, it reminds of Stormers rugby ~2013 and we still revert to that pattern when under pressure.

I havn't watched the game so can't comment and based on the comments I see here I don't know if I want to catch the rest of the game.

I didn't have a lot of hope for the Sharks for the rest of the season but mayne this win however ugly it might be kickstarts a comeback. I still wouldn't back the team in NZ seeing as they barely sneaked a win against 14 men but still.

Thank god Willie Le Roux is alright after that fall. One of the nastiest I've seen.

So i take it that while your entire country was celebrating after 2011's wc final, you were at home ashamed and bitter.

You can't have it both ways.

So i take it that while your entire country was celebrating after 2011's wc final, you were at home ashamed and bitter.

Why should we be? Surely you, of all people, don't buy into all that French Media and fan bullsh¡t about the referee being biased in favour of NZ. FFS, he allowed the French to score a try from one of the most blatant ruck offsides you'll ever see.

Last edited:

You can't have it both ways.

You're kidding right mate? Probably not, so you are actually incredibly stupid comparing a WORLD CUP FINAL to a Super Rugby game when the opposition was reduced to 14 men after 12 minutes and they still offered nothing on attack, now buzz off.

Latest posts