• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Hurricanes vs. Chiefs (Semi-Final 1) 30/07/2016

Great defensive game by the Canes, Chiefs made too many mistakes in the Canes 22 to be effective.

Only gripe would be that period on the Canes try line when they got away with murder, should have been a card, seen Chiefs players get a card for less tbh.

But taking nothing away from the Canes well deserved finalists.

Anyone seen this? http://www.worldrugbyvids.com/index.php/2016/07/30/tj-perenara-kicks-same-cane/

He'll get a ban, though I think he thought Sam Cane still had his legs and in the moment kicked to get him off then obviously realised he let go straight away but by that time it's to late.. Gibson-Park has done a decent job for the Canes when he's been on, so I wouldn't see this as a game breaker on an excuse for the final..

He'll get a ban, though I think he thought Sam Cane still had his legs and in the moment kicked to get him off then obviously realised he let go straight away but by that time it's to late.. Gibson-Park has done a decent job for the Canes when he's been on, so I wouldn't see this as a game breaker on an excuse for the final..

Realistically he shouldnt get a ban once they take the circumstances into account. But well all know he probably will.

Realistically he shouldnt get a ban once they take the circumstances into account. But well all know he probably will.

What circumstances, you cannot kick towards the face with your boots for any reason can you?

What circumstances, you cannot kick towards the face with your boots for any reason can you?

As you know I dont believe in these rules. Iv said it many times. While he kicked at the face there was clearly no intent and it could of even been a mistake but its hard to tell from a grainy cell phone video.

Great defensive game by the Canes, Chiefs made too many mistakes in the Canes 22 to be effective.

Only gripe would be that period on the Canes try line when they got away with murder, should have been a card, seen Chiefs players get a card for less tbh.

But taking nothing away from the Canes well deserved finalists.

Anyone seen this? http://www.worldrugbyvids.com/index.php/2016/07/30/tj-perenara-kicks-same-cane/

Pure accident. Straightening your legs after landing on your back is a reflex action

TJP's and Sam Kane's reactions tell the story.... nothing in it

Pure accident. Straightening your legs after landing on your back is a reflex action

TJP's and Sam Kane's reactions tell the story.... nothing in it

disagree! I think we can all agree it is in his make up to do exactly what he did, kick at him, and he immediately thought how such an idiotic reaction would get him binned, or yet worse. Many might say he deserves what's coming, if it does.

Reviewing it here, he clearly kicks out with 2 legs..... Should be cited. No question. Matters not he felt sorry right away. Felt sorry for himself. "Oh ****, I'll miss the final"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-escapes-citing-after-lashing-out-at-sam-cane

Last edited:
Well, I'm sticking with my opinion...there was nothing in it.

TJP's reaction to making contact with Cane's head was immediate, and instinctive (less than 1/4 of a second so minimum human reaction time) and definitely NOT a case of him suddenly realising he might miss the final. Absolutely no-one's thought processes can work that fast, it is a physiological impossibility!

The footage was brought to the attention of the Citing Commissioner, who then checked the official footage from Sky TV.

He didn't think there was anything in it, as there has been no citing. In fact, he hasn't even issued a Citing Commissioner Warning (a post match yellow card) which can be issued outside the citing window. That means he didn't think it met a yellow card standard, let alone the red card standard required for a citing.

Nothing to see here... move along

Well, I'm sticking with my opinion...there was nothing in it.

TJP's reaction to making contact with Cane's head was immediate, and instinctive (less than 1/4 of a second so minimum human reaction time) and definitely NOT a case of him suddenly realising he might miss the final. Absolutely no-one's thought processes can work that fast, it is a physiological impossibility!

The footage was brought to the attention of the Citing Commissioner, who then checked the official footage from Sky TV.

He didn't think there was anything in it, as there has been no citing. In fact, he hasn't even issued a Citing Commissioner Warning (a post match yellow card) which can be issued outside the citing window. That means he didn't think it met a yellow card standard, let alone the red card standard required for a citing.

Nothing to see here... move along

Meh, everyone has their opinion. I'm sticking to mine too. Read about it in the papers as they say. Hardly makes it right or wrong whatever was decided. TJ can be a right **** disturber in his own right.

Canes were good really good.
Thought back a few years when I said to my friend, these guys should just get a dominant forward pack.
Should be a cracking final

IMO should be cited at least.

Cannot kick out and hit someone in the face without something happening.

Seems like some sour grapes from people here. Imo it wasn't intentional, that's clear. You want teams to be at their best in a final. Nothing like this spoiling the game or contest. I think even Cane himself would appreciate that.

You can stand there and go on about rules but in context, it's better they're not applied in this situation. Stuff like this goes unnoticed all the time, just the media jumping on it for the attention given it's the final.

I have my tickets sorted for the game :)

Seems like some sour grapes from people here.

Not sour grapes here, I just believe that any kicking movement that is directed towards the face should be reviewed, accidents happen and this doesn't appear to be deliberate, but he made enough contact that Cane stayed down for a period of time and TJP knew that he did wrong.

I never expected the Chiefs to win this game. I expected two very evenly matched teams to play each other but where one has had a string of home games and the other has had away games and a return trip to south africa. and that was the difference in the end.

even as a chiefs supporter I'm glad the canes won because a trip back to south Africa again was on the cards and that would have been close to just handing the ***le to the lions.

I'm also Glad Perenara didn't get a ban though he deserved one.

I'm sorry Cookie, I don't know if you have fallen over before but landing like that does not make you quickly straighten your legs :p its actually a very nu-natural reaction.
I don't necessarily believe Perenara intended to hit Cane square in the face with his boots like that but at the very least it was careless, from his reaction he probably intended to get him in the chest, hit his face by mistake and that explained his reaction. The speed of his reaction is proof he knew exactly what was going on and was in control of his feet and saw it happen, he saw exactly what he did. It was careless, dangerous and deserved sanction. he got very lucky, I like what I have seen from gibson-park recently in terms of his speed and impact but his passing hasn't been anywhere near as good as Perenara, they would have seriously missed him in the final.

Chiefs actually were a lot better than I thought they would be. Funny I thought the game actually played out much like finals loss to the highlanders last year. In that game the chiefs were generally the stronger team but Aaron Smith came up with a couple of pieces of individual brilliance for the highlanders to win. This time Bauden Barrett did the trick with a bit of help from Savea but you would have to say that generally the chiefs were the stronger side, they just generally failed to turn their advantage in general play into points.

Refereeing was an issue, at one stage the canes had given away 5 penalties basically all hard on defense with the chiefs threatening and they got away without conceding a card. And that was only the penalties called, in some cases there were multiple advantages called. Combined with the other penalties given away When Vito collapsed two mauls within a few minutes both of them obviously cynical that should have been a card. This clearly played into the Hurricanes hands.

the half time count was something like 7-1 (?)

funny after the chiefs prop injury issue early in the season hurricanes fans branded the chiefs cheats. they should probably keep quiet now :)

in hindsight the chiefs should have opted for goal every opportunity they got. But their was no way they could have predicted that the ref was just going to keep the cards in his pocket till it was basically too late and then at that point it would be Jane carded instead of one of the forwards which would have helped a lot more.

Chiefs Dominated many aspects of the game and created many opportunities but failed to finish any of them. That for me was a very obvious sign of the injury toll and tough travel schedule catching up with them.

Best example is James Lowe, for most of the season hes hardly put a foot wrong but the last 3 weeks hes struggled to do anything right. Clearly the string of tough games and the travel has taken its toll. Shame because he was surely in AB contention but has blown his chance to get the selectors attention and ink his name when needed. Even though Julian Savea is well and truly out of the picture in terms of form.

Anyway still Glad the Canes are in the final and that the Final is in NZ. With the way super rugby has played out this year it would have been an injustice for the final to be played anywhere else.

And I make not shame of the fact I really rate Barrett, I've always said that I thought Barrett has always tracked ahead of Cruden in his career when you consider that he's ~2 years younger yet they have always been very evenly matched. Barrett is clearly better right now and arguably the best 10 in the world. hes taken his game to another level this year. His Goal kicking needs to be a bit better but its not bad ~70% with most of his kicking happening in the cake tin isn't bad.

Seems like some sour grapes from people here. Imo it wasn't intentional, that's clear.
********. Rules are rules, whether you like them or not, and you do not need intention to get banned, recklessness is more than enough.

********. Rules are rules, whether you like them or not, and you do not need intention to get banned, recklessness is more than enough.

I wouldn't even call it reckless though - a lot worse has gone unnoticed even noticed with inconsistency.

I never expected the Chiefs to win this game. I expected two very evenly matched teams to play each other but where one has had a string of home games and the other has had away games and a return trip to south africa. and that was the difference in the end.

even as a chiefs supporter I'm glad the canes won because a trip back to south Africa again was on the cards and that would have been close to just handing the ***le to the lions.

I'm also Glad Perenara didn't get a ban though he deserved one.

I'm sorry Cookie, I don't know if you have fallen over before but landing like that does not make you quickly straighten your legs :p its actually a very nu-natural reaction.
I don't necessarily believe Perenara intended to hit Cane square in the face with his boots like that but at the very least it was careless, from his reaction he probably intended to get him in the chest, hit his face by mistake and that explained his reaction. The speed of his reaction is proof he knew exactly what was going on and was in control of his feet and saw it happen, he saw exactly what he did. It was careless, dangerous and deserved sanction. he got very lucky, I like what I have seen from gibson-park recently in terms of his speed and impact but his passing hasn't been anywhere near as good as Perenara, they would have seriously missed him in the final.

Chiefs actually were a lot better than I thought they would be. Funny I thought the game actually played out much like finals loss to the highlanders last year. In that game the chiefs were generally the stronger team but Aaron Smith came up with a couple of pieces of individual brilliance for the highlanders to win. This time Bauden Barrett did the trick with a bit of help from Savea but you would have to say that generally the chiefs were the stronger side, they just generally failed to turn their advantage in general play into points.

Refereeing was an issue, at one stage the canes had given away 5 penalties basically all hard on defense with the chiefs threatening and they got away without conceding a card. And that was only the penalties called, in some cases there were multiple advantages called. Combined with the other penalties given away When Vito collapsed two mauls within a few minutes both of them obviously cynical that should have been a card. This clearly played into the Hurricanes hands.

the half time count was something like 7-1 (?)

funny after the chiefs prop injury issue early in the season hurricanes fans branded the chiefs cheats. they should probably keep quiet now :)

in hindsight the chiefs should have opted for goal every opportunity they got. But their was no way they could have predicted that the ref was just going to keep the cards in his pocket till it was basically too late and then at that point it would be Jane carded instead of one of the forwards which would have helped a lot more.

Chiefs Dominated many aspects of the game and created many opportunities but failed to finish any of them. That for me was a very obvious sign of the injury toll and tough travel schedule catching up with them.

Best example is James Lowe, for most of the season hes hardly put a foot wrong but the last 3 weeks hes struggled to do anything right. Clearly the string of tough games and the travel has taken its toll. Shame because he was surely in AB contention but has blown his chance to get the selectors attention and ink his name when needed. Even though Julian Savea is well and truly out of the picture in terms of form.

Anyway still Glad the Canes are in the final and that the Final is in NZ. With the way super rugby has played out this year it would have been an injustice for the final to be played anywhere else.

And I make not shame of the fact I really rate Barrett, I've always said that I thought Barrett has always tracked ahead of Cruden in his career when you consider that he's ~2 years younger yet they have always been very evenly matched. Barrett is clearly better right now and arguably the best 10 in the world. hes taken his game to another level this year. His Goal kicking needs to be a bit better but its not bad ~70% with most of his kicking happening in the cake tin isn't bad.

A good account. I too thought the chiefs the stronger side, just unable to finish it off. Canes defence was top notch, but ref could have penalized them instead of continually warning them. Message to all NZ captains. In cup rugby, ya take ya 3 points.

I wouldn't even call it reckless though - a lot worse has gone unnoticed even noticed with inconsistency.

Clearly knew what he did was wrong. I am sure Sam Kane mentioned it to the ref too. I agree, be sad if he missed the final, but still should be cited for it. The evidence is clear. You don't kick out with two feet like that when you land either.....

Latest posts