• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2017 Rugby Europe Championship

Definitely north of 5k.

Appropriately sized venues full is much better than oversized and empty IMO.

I watched the second half and firstly well done Germany that's a massive result for rugby. Romania must be hugely embarrassed at that, didn't Romania beat Germany a year or two ago by 60 points or so? Well that gap has closed a bit it seems

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I don't know why that posted again

I haven't seen the match and I can't find statistics. What happened? Were there any sent offs?

Is there a link to any of the games?

I included the link in the first post. No commentary though.

http://www.rugbyeurope.tv

- - - Updated - - -

Spain is leading Russia 10 points after 10 minutes :eek:

All according to my prediction ;)

Actually, the conditions look poor enough that I think Russia could sneak a victory. Another decent looking crowd.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't seen the match and I can't find statistics. What happened? Were there any sent offs?

One yellow card early for Romania, then they scored tries while down to 14 and it looked comfortable. But they made defensive errors and a really great try saving tackle from Germany kept it to 24-20 at the half. Romania then comfortably secured the bonus point and immediately went to sleep. They conceded two tries to rolling mauls and after switching off midway through the second half, they could not switch back on again.

- - - Updated - - -

Bloody Spain, would have been a sensational try and they blew it at the very end. I think that may well cost them the match.

Are you allowed to play international tests on astro-turf? This is essential for the Spanish style and playing in a mudbath will probably cost them this match.

Conditions deteriorating and I can't see Spain scoring a try with their running game when you can barely stay upright. I'm going with Russia by 5 now, but purely because of the conditions. 13-6 to Spain at the half.

I think Spain will take it despite the conditions. If their scrum wasn't so strong I would say Russia

The spanish forwards do look a bit more robust than I was expecting. Russia still mystifyingly below the standard of their top two or three clubs. Its the same players but they just don't combine so well in an international jersey.

honestly, i think if you put the US in the European championship we would probably be in the Trophy even with a full strength squad

- - - Updated - - -

weather has made this game very sloppy though, makes the teams look not so great

Oh, gods. Another try goes a begging to Spain. What terrible luck with the bouncing. Two players queuing up to score!

- - - Updated - - -

honestly, i think if you put the US in the European championship we would probably be in the Trophy even with a full strength squad

For comparison with the Americas cup, I'd rate the teams in order:

1st ranked: Georgia as stronger than Argentina XV,
2nd ranked: Romania as slightly stronger than USA
3rd ranked: Russia weaker than Canada
4th ranked: Spain as slightly stronger than Uruguay
5th ranked: Germany as stronger than Brazil
6th ranked: Chile and Belgium comparable

So a slight edge to REC in terms of difficulty. I'd imagine the USA could end up anywhere from 2nd to 4th in the REC.

- - - Updated - - -

Huge lineout steal for Spain there. Still just about keeping their noses infront.

Thanks guys!

I can't believe we actually pulled that off. What a match! :)

Conditions made a good game impossible, but for Spain to be able to win in such conditions with defensive play, set piece and solid forwards shows they really are shaping up to be a top 3 team in team in this competition with an excellent chance of that repechage spot for 3rd place over the next two years. I think they would have won this by a long way if conditions had been perfect and even then, the score flattered Russia a little.

It is going to be a complete dogfight to see who comes out of the REC into the RWC. Spain jump back infront of Germany, they are 21st and 22nd respectively now. Russia fall to 20th.

With the 6N taking a rest I'll be getting my rugby fix with a couple of interesting REC fixtures again this week. Georgia hosting Germany (1100hrs GMT) should be a formality and an opportunity for both sides to experiment. Germany would be daft to throw all their first choice players into this match.

Belgium hosting Russia (1400hrs GMT) obviously strongly favours Russia, but if Belgium have another big crowd against what must be a demoralised and relatively out of condition Russian side then who knows. I'd favour Russia by about 15-17 points here though, but I'm still completely ignorant about the level of Belgium.

Romania hosting Spain (also infuriatingly listed at 1100hrs GMT, same time as the Georgia match) should be a hum-dinger, assuming the pitch is fit to play on. As much as I've been talking up Spain in these parts since November, and as much as I was impressed by the solid performance of their pack last week in bad conditions, I think their great recent run comes to an end here because:

i) I watched El Salvador play in Russia last year and the Spanish players did not appear to enjoy physical contact in freezing conditions. Hardly surprising if its 10-15 degrees colder than what you are used to. If I'm the Romanian coach I'd put two tacklers in on the ball carrier early in the game to see how the Spanish respond.

ii) Romania didn't look too bad attacking in the first 55mins in Germany, it was their defensive play that was very poor. I don't think the Romanians are going to be all that much in worse physical condition than the Spanish (despite the Spanish league playing during winter).

iii) I think Canada and the USA are still just a little bit ahead of Spain at the moment, and Romania defeated both of them in November.

Romania by 9-11 points to keep automatic RWC qualification alive for them. If they lose this then already they might be keeping half an eye on the repechage route. Unthinkable surely.

I thought the Georgia-Germany game is on Sunday while the Spain-Romania game is on Saturday? Or has the date been moved due to conditions?

Romania actually defending properly in this game, giving Spain limited chances. Romania doing well at the breakdown to prevent any quick ball for Spain and also using the choke tackle a couple of times to win a scrum. We are not seeing any of the fluid play from Spain I've enjoyed in recent months, but they are still in this contest. 10-3 at the half, flatters Spain a little. Could easily have been 20-3.

Latest posts