• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] QF1: Brumbies vs. Hurricanes (21/07/2017)

Coles looked a bit down on speed and condition to me but that was fully expected. That play to setup Perenara's try was vintage stuff. Good to see him back.

If you are arguing markets then its the Rebels that must be cut.
not sure if this a thread for it but i agree. rebels bring nothing to the table.
i hear b!tchin about sWolves and jaguares and how they should be dropped, but those 2 teams aren't the ones embarrassing themselves and are winning more games than the neo-aus teams when they were introduced.
sWolves have claimed some good scalps. jaguares were at the top of their conf earlier this year before the wheels fell off their campaign.

not sure if this a thread for it but i agree. rebels bring nothing to the table.
i hear b!tchin about sWolves and jaguares and how they should be dropped, but those 2 teams aren't the ones embarrassing themselves and are winning more games than the neo-aus teams when they were introduced.
sWolves have claimed some good scalps. jaguares were at the top of their conf earlier this year before the wheels fell off their campaign.

Not to mention that, if marketing is the big deal that everyone says it is, just look at the enthusiastic crowds that turn up week-in, week out to support Sunwolves regardless of how they are faring in the comp. True fans who turn up and support no matter how successful their team is.

Compare that with NZ and especially Aussie crowds, who can tend to be a bit fairweather and fickle

Compare the 17,000+ who turned out to Prince Chichibu Stadium for a meaningless dead rubber against the Blues, with the Canberra Stadium crowd of about 6,900 to a Quarter Final.

The Brumbies fans who stayed away Friday nght should be ashamed; it was Christian Lealiifano's comeback after his battle with cancer... do they really care about their team?

Last edited:
Compare that with NZ and especially Aussie crowds, who can tend to be a bit fairweather and fickle
i gotta stand up for the average kiwi here.
i have one kid that plays rugby, after at least 2 trainings a week and then rugby all saturday and probably sunday , on top of that theres rep trainings and games to get to, come super games i'm totally rugby'd out and just wanna sit my a55 down in the evening and relax. (note my boy also does swimming, competitive gymnastics, tennis, golf and surflifesaving )
also most kiwi's would rather play rugby than watch it.
unfortunately that means lack of crowds.
fortunately this means that grassroots is strong.
NZ will never have the crowd turn out that the saffa's have but then again no country will have the grassroots that NZ has.

Last edited:
i gotta stand up for the average kiwi here.
i have one kid that plays rugby, after at least 2 trainings a week and then rugby all saturday and probably sunday , on top of that theres rep trainings and games to get to, come super games i'm totally rugby'd out and just wanna sit my a55 down in the evening and relax. (note my boy also does swimming, competitive gymnastics, tennis, golf and surflifesaving )
also most kiwi's would rather play rugby than watch it.
unfortunately that means lack of crowds.
fortunately this means that grassroots is strong.
NZ will never have the crowd turn out that the saffa's have but then again no country will have the grassroots that NZ has.

Yep, but a significant majority of rugby match attendees are just the public, they don't have kids plying at don't play themselves. This is certainly true of the group of people with whom I go to the Makos matches here in Nelson. There are about a dozen of us for any given match, but only myself and one other have ever played the game or have any involvement. Most of them are my age (over 60) and about half of them are wives. We go to every Makos home game in Nelson and we have travelled to Blenheim for the occasional game as well.

Yep, but a significant majority of rugby match attendees are just the public, they don't have kids plying at don't play themselves.
i cant speak for you cookie or for the tasman area. but in wellington at any given game i see hundreds of volunteers, giving. like you the majority of these are females, predominantly mothers. and that just one game that i am at. i'm sure for all the 100 other games thru out wellington and kapiti its the same.
of these 100's of volunteers only a couple have the energy or the money to go watch a super game at the end of a long Saturday of organising games.
this is the way it should be. yeah its cool to watch games, but i prefer getting out there and creating allBlacks. the talent i see in these developing kids is a better buzz than watching super round robin games tbh. its just so much fricken work and really tiring...but rewarding

thats why i tend not to go many games.

Well I go to every Canes home game... but then again I'm not involved with rugby with Juniors or anything like that, so probably not as saturated with rugby as others...

Latest posts