• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] QF3: Lions vs. Sharks (22/07/2017)

So close but no cigar :(

bet easily came in though

Good game. Weird sensations when Sharks were leading in the last 10. Felt they should have looked at the final incident that clearly had many of the Sharks players calling for a penalty. I felt the sharks were probably the better team but there is no chance that you can win super rugby by traveling so lions has the better chance.

Sharks only had to travel 400 km to joburg. All the lions opposition from now on will have some serious traveling hurdles to pass. This was probably the toughest game the lions were gonna face in the playoffs. Can't see them not winning the ***le now.

Good game. Weird sensations when Sharks were leading in the last 10. Felt they should have looked at the final incident that clearly had many of the Sharks players calling for a penalty. I felt the sharks were probably the better team but there is no chance that you can win super rugby by traveling so lions has the better chance.

Sharks only had to travel 400 km to joburg. All the lions opposition from now on will have some serious traveling hurdles to pass. This was probably the toughest game the lions were gonna face in the playoffs. Can't see them not winning the ***le now.

Ok they have home advantage but they have surely 2 NZ teams to get through to win the ***le. As bias as I am but I reckon the Canes beat them next weekend, if they don't then surely the Saders do.

They looked so average tonight over a team they should have easily beaten.

Amateurish lazy play from Mvovo (and Jantjies' lack of accuracy at goal) nearly cost the Lions. I see Jantjies at the end was on his knees LOL.

Cornbrinck has some enormous testicles. I didn't think he'd slot that kick.

The Hurricanes will destroy them in the semi-final if they play that poorly.

Cornbrinck has some enormous testicles. I didn't think he'd slot that kick.

The Hurricanes will destroy them in the semi-final if they play that poorly.

Pretty much all of that. Mvovo had a good game but throwing the ball away then standing miles offside for a few seconds was utterly criminal. I remain unconvinced by the Lions this season. In this game I'd give only Marx and Combrinck (purely for that kick) pass marks.

I was ******* fuming at Mvovo in those last couple minutes... as soon as he caught that clearance kick he did everything wrong. Bloody threw away the Canes best chance at winning the ***le. They can still do it and I back them to, but it will be one mighty task.

I was ******* fuming at Mvovo in those last couple minutes... as soon as he caught that clearance kick he did everything wrong. Bloody threw away the Canes best chance at winning the ***le. They can still do it and I back them to, but it will be one mighty task.

An interesting perspective. If I were a 'Canes supporter I'd have been more worried about playing a rejuvenated Sharks team.

Yes, I am.
Interesting. Not sure how playing that Sharks side in Wellington could be seen as a more daunting prospect than the Lions in Jo'Burg. Add to that the fact that if we did win in Jo'Burg we'd have to travel all the way back to NZ, which obviously takes a toll.
Sharks in Wellington would've 100% been better. Still back us to get the job done though.

Everyone had written the Sharks off. They wear the underdog tag well and should have won that game. The Lions, on the other hand, seem to be choking on the pressure of being the #1 seed.

What the hell is wrong with Jantjies? His profile picture should be next to merriam webster's definition of choke.

Wow, despite the soft ride through the season for the Lions, I was surprised at how poor they were, I had assumed that the unfair conference system just about ensured them of a place in the final, but going on that performance they wont get past the Canes next week.

I think the Hurricanes shouldn't underestimate the Lions based on this QF performance. Yes, the Lions were poor, and the Sharks were brilliant, but I'm sure the Lions will be back to their best.

On a side note, you must all pray for Lions lock, Franco Mostert's brother, JP, he was in a serious car accident after the match, and the suspicion is that he broke his neck.

I was thinking along the same lines. Part of the trick of winning single elimination phases is to avoid having a bad day or managing to win despite having one. The lions did just that. they had a terrible, appalling game and still won.
I'd be very surprised to see them having two terrible games on a row.

I was thinking along the same lines. Part of the trick of winning single elimination phases is to avoid having a bad day or managing to win despite having one. The lions did just that. they had a terrible, appalling game and still won.
I'd be very surprised to see them having two terrible games on a row.
Same goes for the Canes though. We were poor vs the Brumbies, just fortunate that we have so much more class than them that we were able to win regardless. I expect the boys to be much more up for it vs the Lions.
This is shaping to be an awesome game. I just hope that both teams play their natural styles... if so this could really be the most entertaining match of the season.

Thing is, no one is underestimating the hurricanes. I don't think anyone here will argue that they are a top side. Opinions appear to be a bit more divided when you talk about the lions.
Regarding the Brumbies vs Canes game, i am not convinced the hurricanes won because they had more class. If you look at the score each half, evidence suggest the difference has to do more with depth than class.

Latest posts