• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 Super Rugby] Round 12: Kings vs. Sharks (13/05/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
2hUozcT.jpg

UYvBkvl.jpg
V
n5QAaQS.jpg

Venue: Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium
Time: 17:15 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

A pretty big banana skin for me, and probably the Jaguares last chance of pipping the Sharks. Sharks are looking pretty solid now though so I think it'll be a kneeknocker but:

Sharks by 4

The Kings have done well (relatively speaking) in this no-facing-NZ-sides cycle but what has impressed me more than their 3 wins is their points F/A standing at a reasonable -30 for a bottom half side. Especially if you look at Aussie sides' stats in that regard. And they've been good value for it too. If the Rebels can draw with the Sharks in Durbs then the Kings can upset them in PE on a good day for my money. Kings have upset the Highlanders in the past as well so its not as if they've only managed scalps off of "small" sides.

The Kings have done well (relatively speaking) in this no-facing-NZ-sides cycle but what has impressed me more than their 3 wins is their points F/A standing at a reasonable -30 for a bottom half side. Especially if you look at Aussie sides' stats in that regard. And they've been good value for it too. If the Rebels can draw with the Sharks in Durbs then the Kings can upset them in PE on a good day for my money. Kings have upset the Highlanders in the past as well so its not as if they've only managed scalps off of "small" sides.

True. But the -30 is more because of the big win they got in the one match against the Rebels, than the losses the Kings had against other opposition.

But with that said, I think the Sharks will overpower them up front.

In all the matches the Kings won, it was against teams with a poor pack, where the Kings gained confidence at first phases. Now the Sharks, with their massive pack will try to rule them, and then give the backs a chance to run at them.

I'm also interested to see if Lambie will start, and how his presence will lift the Sharks.

15. Rhyno Smith, 14. Kobus van Wyk, 13. Lukhanyo Am, 12. Jeremy Ward, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Pat Lambie (captain), 9. Michael Claassens, 8. Dan du Preez, 7. Jean-Luc du Preez, 6. Philip van der Walt, 5. Ruan Botha, 4. Etienne Oosthuizen, 3. Coenie Oosthuizen, 2. Franco Marais, 1. Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16. Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17. Thomas du Toit, 18. Lourens Adriaanse, 19. Stephan Lewies, 20. Tera Mtembu, 21. Cobus Reinach, 22. Garth April, 23. S'busiso Nkosi

Lambie starting again, Bosch out, Sbu Nkosi on the bench for Mvovo and April is back in the squad so we got 10 covered if Lambie breaks himself again. Even though we battled against the Kings last time we played them I would be upset if we didn't get close to that BP win, because the Sharks have what it takes to rack up the points, and I doubt the Kings could stop them on a good day. They say they're expecting a large crowd and Kings have heart so it could spell disappointment if the Sharks don't show up.

Whelp, that was terrible. Kings playing with purpose and heart, Sharks making a mess of everything, typical implosion. A game we needed to win, one could argue one of out easier fixtures remaining.

Wow, Kings level with the Brumbies! That wasn't in the programme.

The Sharks better be careful. If they slip up again they may leave the door open for the Blues to sneak ahead of them in the play off race.

Despite the loss I think it was a fantastic game. Very fast paced and either team could have won it. Kings are really fighting for survival. Their win came not because the sharks played badly but because they played with passion.

For the sharks it hurts but it's not the end. Blues can't challenge us for a playoff spot as we are guarenteed a spot by being the third placed challenger form Africa.

You are quite correct, lucky for you guys the system is broken.
However, the Sharks shouldn't be in this position, they are better than this... and when the Kings and Cheetahs are gone, the Sharks will be even better.

If this is to be the Kings swansong in SR they are going about it the right way. I picked a narrow Sharks win, but this result doesn't surprise me. Kings probably with no realistic chance of the playoffs, but stranger things have happened. Pretty big improvement on last year even if you factor in the softer schedule this year.

Latest posts